WAMC/School List Help.(4.0/515)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dorasbackpack

Reaction score
I really want to go to schools in CA. What are my chances?

cGPA:4.0
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 515

IL Resident
Female, Asian

Clinical Volunteering:
120 hrs Nursing Home

Clinical Employment:
340 hrs Medical Assistant

NonClinical Volunteering:
330 hrs (nursing home, food pantry)

Research:
950 hrs
1 poster presentation

Shadowing:
60 hrs (primary care, pediatrician, hospitalist)

Artistic Endeavors:
340 hrs - university orchestra

Members don't see this ad.

In California you could try California University, Kaiser and Loma Linda (if you fit their mission). The UCs have an instate preference and admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You should apply to other schools besides those in California.

In California you could try California University, Kaiser and Loma Linda (if you fit their mission). The UCs have an instate preference and admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You should apply to other schools besides those in California.
Are my stats too low for UCSF and UCSD then? Also, what schools do you recommend from other states?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are my stats too low for UCSF and UCSD then? Also, what schools do you recommend from other states?
They favor in-state, especially UCSD, and UCSF has specific mission-fit and require higher stats from what I believe.

Reactions: 1 user
For other states I suggest these schools:
U Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Northwestern
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
USF Morsani
Miami
Cincinnati
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Temple
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts

For other states I suggest these schools:
U Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Northwestern
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
USF Morsani
Miami
Cincinnati
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Temple
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Thank you for the list. Do I really have a chance at Northwestern with my low MCAT?

I really want to go to schools in CA. What are my chances?
California schools generally ascribe to holistic review, but some programs favor those raised in their neighborhood counties/regions where the school is located. You don't give us that information, but if you read the mission of the schools, a few explicitly favor those coming from those communities (see UC Riverside as an example). For your specific WAMC request, you don't provide detail that demonstrates you have a deeper appreciation of the challenges facing underserved communities, so I hope your application essays and LOR's will help make this point to bring attention to your application.

By the way, how is your PREview score?

California schools generally ascribe to holistic review, but some programs favor those raised in their neighborhood counties/regions where the school is located. You don't give us that information, but if you read the mission of the schools, a few explicitly favor those coming from those communities (see UC Riverside as an example). For your specific WAMC request, you don't provide detail that demonstrates you have a deeper appreciation of the challenges facing underserved communities, so I hope your application essays and LOR's will help make this point to bring attention to your application.

By the way, how is your PREview score?
I'm planning to take PREview in June. Thank you for the info.

Reactions: 1 user