WAMC/School list help (CA ORM 3.63/519)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigreader

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to narrow my school list from 52 to about 40. My stats:

- CA ORM. Living in wisconsin for the past 10 months. Have 2 siblings living in New York.
- 3.63 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA (significant upward trend - only had 1 B+ after sophomore year of college, everything else was A- or better).
- top public school
- 519 MCAT (131,129,130,129)
- 2200 hours scribing across 2 different clinics
- 300 hours of research, no pubs or anything
- 2300 hours restaurant job for income/paying for school
- 250 hours clinical volunteering
- couple other things (teaching assistant 100 hours, shadowing 120 hours, planned mcat tutoring for app year)

My biggest thing is that I've been working in a tech company (will be about 3600 hours of work total if I get in this cycle) so I have that "real-world experience" which hopefully helps my app.

My school list is still long, but at this point, I'm struggling to know which ones to drop. I'm thinking of Dropping NYU Grossman (small class, seems low yield for me) as well as Georgetown, Rush, and Stritch (I think my lack of nonclinical volunteering hurts me for these schools). Any other recs on which schools to drop or add? Thanks!

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein COM
Boston University SOM
Chicago Rosalind Franklin
Drexel University COM
Geisel SOM at Dartmouth
George Washington SOM
Georgetown
Hackensack Meridian SOM
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
Keck SOM of USC
Kirk Kerkorian SOM at UNLV
Lewis Katz SOM at Temple
Loyola Chicago Stritch SOM
New York Medical College
NYU Grossman Long Island
Ohio State COM
Robert Larner, U of Vermont
Rush Medical College
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Sidney Kimmel MC
Stanford SOM
SUNY Downstate
The U of Toledo COM
The Warren Alpert, Brown
Tufts University
Tulane SOM
U of Arizona COM
U of Arizona COM - Phoenix
U of Chicago Pritzker
U of Cincinnati COM
U of Colorado SOM
U of Connecticut SOM
U of Illinois COM
U of Miami Miller SOM
U of Michigan MS
U of Minnesota MS
U of Nevada, Reno SOM
U of Pittsburgh
U of Virginia SOM
U of Wisconsin SOM
UC Davis SOM
UC Irvine SOM
UC LA David Geffen SOM
UC Riverside SOM
UC San Diego SOM
UC San Francisco SOM
USF Morsani COM
Virginia Commonwealth U
Wake Forest SOM
Wash U St. Louis
Wayne State SOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With so many employment hours, you seem to have been out of school for a while. How about your nonclinical community service since graduating?
Unfortunately I don't really have any nonclinical volunteering. I graduated 3 years ago, and my current tech role has been basically the only thing I've done the past year besides studying for the MCAT. Most of my other employment was either during college or during my first gap year.

My PS does focus on my current role and how I chose this path for financial reasons before deciding that I need to go back into medicine. So I have an explanation for the lack of recent clinical exp. I can sign up for volunteering now and put the hours as future hours on my application, although that seems pretty weak as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools from your list:

Albany Medical College
Boston University SOM
Chicago Rosalind Franklin
Drexel University COM
Geisel SOM at Dartmouth
George Washington SOM
Hackensack Meridian SOM
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
Keck SOM of USC
Lewis Katz SOM at Temple
New York Medical College
Ohio State COM
Robert Larner, U of Vermont
Sidney Kimmel MC
Tufts University
Tulane SOM
U of Arizona COM - Phoenix
U of Cincinnati COM
U of Colorado SOM
U of Illinois COM
U of Miami Miller SOM
U of Michigan MS
U of Pittsburgh
UC Davis SOM
UC Irvine SOM
UC LA David Geffen SOM
UC Riverside SOM (only if you are from that region)
UC San Diego SOM
UC San Francisco SOM
USF Morsani COM
Virginia Commonwealth U
Wake Forest SOM
Wayne State SOM

You could also add any of these schools:
TCU
NOVA MD
Belmont
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin

You could also add any of these schools:
TCU
NOVA MD
Belmont
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my list and give suggestions! If possible, I would like to ask a few questions for my own understanding:

- while UWisconsin isn't favorable as an out-of-state applicant, I do feel as though I have significant ties as I live closeby right now (and will have lived there for a year by the time I submit my secondary). Do you think that adds anything to my chances? I'd still choose California as my state of residence since that is where I've spent my whole life until now, and my family lives there. But I think I could speak strongly about to ties to wisconsin in the secondary
- similarly, having 2 siblings in New York, I wonder if that gives me any boost for NY schools
- From MSAR, it looks like TCU gives less than 4% of OOS applicants an II - any particular reason you would recommend this school? I am considering TMDSAS, but I'd probably apply to a couple schools given the flat fee for the primary
- in general, if you have any insight or broad reasons as to why you suggested those schools that are maybe lesser known reasons (not just OOS-friendliness), I'd love to hear about those. Ex: does anything about my ECs lead you to believe those schools would be better? Or is it mainly just stats and OOS-friendliness?

Thank you!

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my list and give suggestions! If possible, I would like to ask a few questions for my own understanding:

- while UWisconsin isn't favorable as an out-of-state applicant, I do feel as though I have significant ties as I live closeby right now (and will have lived there for a year by the time I submit my secondary). Do you think that adds anything to my chances? I'd still choose California as my state of residence since that is where I've spent my whole life until now, and my family lives there. But I think I could speak strongly about to ties to wisconsin in the secondary
- similarly, having 2 siblings in New York, I wonder if that gives me any boost for NY schools
- From MSAR, it looks like TCU gives less than 4% of OOS applicants an II - any particular reason you would recommend this school? I am considering TMDSAS, but I'd probably apply to a couple schools given the flat fee for the primary
- in general, if you have any insight or broad reasons as to why you suggested those schools that are maybe lesser known reasons (not just OOS-friendliness), I'd love to hear about those. Ex: does anything about my ECs lead you to believe those schools would be better? Or is it mainly just stats and OOS-friendliness?

Thank you!

On AMCAS, you can only choose one state of legal residence. You can't double or triple declare.

According to these rules, once you pass 1 year living in Wisconsin, you can't be a California resident for tuition purposes. Confirm with your schools before applying.

Now UC schools do like to pick candidates who grew up in SES neighborhoods in counties around their campuses, but if you haven't lived in California for a year, you lose the residency status if I read the rule correctly.

Having siblings in New York does not help your chances for admission to a NY medical school. You could try U Wisconsin since you are currently living in Wisconsin. The 4% OOS interview rate for TCU understates your chances for an interview. Some applicants do not complete secondaries and some decline interviews. Your stats are very good so your chances for an interview at TCU are much higher than 4%.

Reactions: 1 user
On AMCAS, you can only choose one state of legal residence. You can't double or triple declare.

According to these rules, once you pass 1 year living in Wisconsin, you can't be a California resident for tuition purposes. Confirm with your schools before applying.

Now UC schools do like to pick candidates who grew up in SES neighborhoods in counties around their campuses, but if you haven't lived in California for a year, you lose the residency status if I read the rule correctly.
Thank you for the clarification. I interpret this the same as you, and that will be a big factor in my application that I hadn't considered.

Having siblings in New York does not help your chances for admission to a NY medical school. You could try U Wisconsin since you are currently living in Wisconsin. The 4% OOS interview rate for TCU understates your chances for an interview. Some applicants do not complete secondaries and some decline interviews. Your stats are very good so your chances for an interview at TCU are much higher than 4%.
Thank you for clarifying. I will keep your suggestions in mind as I modify my school list!