WAMC- Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous.vet.life

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping someone could give some insight on my application. I was currently waitlisted by LMU and denied by all other schools I applied (ISU, tOSU, UW-Madison, IL, and Purdue). What would be my chances of getting off the waitlist? And insights on what schools I should apply for next cycle? I want to try applying one more time without going the Masters route... thanks!

Cumulative GPA: 3.13
Science GPA: 3.39
Last 30:
Last 45: 3.46

Degree:
B.A Biology

Veterinary Experience:

Equine~ 50hrs
Small Animal~ 9.6k hours (experiences in GP and Specialty hospital as an ER tech assistant)

Animal Experience:
2.3k hours (pet sitting, kennel attendant, volunteer at horse ranch)

Extracurriculars:
Soft ball team in H.S
Church Choir member
SSS Stem TRIO

Volunteer:
1k hours (food pantries and hospital visits)

Employment:
Dental Assistant
Peer Tutor
Food Laboratory Tech Intern

Awards:
Certificate of Excellence from SSS Stem
PTK Honors Society
Employee Promotion~ Tech Assistant Supervisor

LORs:
2 Critical Care Veterinarians I worked closely with
2 Science Professors

Personal Statement:
Talked about what being a Vet means to me. Also my love and passion for ER Medicine and my passion for the human/animal bond and how I want to help strengthen that bond by providing health care as a Vet

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you pick the schools you did?

Why did you pick the schools you did?
I mainly was considering cost, distance from loved ones, and also schools that have some sort of holistic approaches in their decisions (I know IL and Uw-Madison don’t necessarily fit the holistic approach, but they did fit the other criteria)…

So, quite honestly, your grades are below average from slight to moderately so, and this is likely your biggest weakness since you're not even making it to the interview stage. Elsewise, your essays/descriptors may be hindering you as well. You should do file reviews with the schools you've applied to if at all possible.

Cumulative GPA: 3.13
Science GPA: 3.39
Last 30: 3.57
Last 45: 3.46
You have an upward trend with a slight dip in that last semester. Some schools this will actually help you somewhat.
ISU, tOSU, UW-Madison, IL, and Purdue
Illinois should absolutely stay on your list as they are statistically your best shot.

You really need to look at the AAVMC public data to evaluate what schools favor OOS students. From there, you need to email admissions departments to find out the following:

1) do they do grade replacement or grade averaging for retaken classes
2) which GPAs are most considered; if cumulative GPA is most important, don't put that school in your list
3) what schools have an evaluation of your objectives (grades) separate from your subjectives (essays, letters)
4) what schools stop considering grades at a certain point

You're in a position of not being able to be picky about where you apply. So you may need to open your list to schools that don't meet your "wants" in a school vs the "needs" of your application.

You also need to consider what your cut off point is. How much money are you willing to spend year to year on apps? How many years are you willing to spend applying? With those factors in mind, you should also branch out and consider your backup plans.

Reactions: 3 users
So, quite honestly, your grades are below average from slight to moderately so, and this is likely your biggest weakness since you're not even making it to the interview stage. Elsewise, your essays/descriptors may be hindering you as well. You should do file reviews with the schools you've applied to if at all possible.

You have an upward trend with a slight dip in that last semester. Some schools this will actually help you somewhat.

Illinois should absolutely stay on your list as they are statistically your best shot.

You really need to look at the AAVMC public data to evaluate what schools favor OOS students. From there, you need to email admissions departments to find out the following:

1) do they do grade replacement or grade averaging for retaken classes
2) which GPAs are most considered; if cumulative GPA is most important, don't put that school in your list
3) what schools have an evaluation of your objectives (grades) separate from your subjectives (essays, letters)
4) what schools stop considering grades at a certain point

You're in a position of not being able to be picky about where you apply. So you may need to open your list to schools that don't meet your "wants" in a school vs the "needs" of your application.

You also need to consider what your cut off point is. How much money are you willing to spend year to year on apps? How many years are you willing to spend applying? With those factors in mind, you should also branch out and consider your backup plans.
Okay, thanks so much for your feedback!