what about second bachelor's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious dummy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you guys recommend going for a bachelor's in biology if one does not get into medical school the first time with a non-science degree? :confused: wouldn't an actual degree be more favorable than a post-bacc certificate? thanks for any inputs. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you spend the time and money taking all the requirements for a Bio degree when you can finish the med school requirements in a year (and a summer)? Most adcoms only care about 2 semesters each (with lab) of Bio, Chem, Ochem, and Physics. In my opinion, a second undergrad degree in a science carries no more weight than just the prereqs.

I would have to disagree with my SDN colleague. A second bachelor's degree would show an adcom that your desire to go to medical school isn't a fleeting idea. It shows that you are committed to your new career choice. It'll also give you the opportunity to raise you average GPA if your GPA from your first bachelor's degree isn't as high as you'd like.

Personally, for the above reasons, I chose to pursue a second bachelor's degree. In my case, I am a junior working on a bachelor's in biochemistry (my first was in marketing). I believe that if I only took the prerequisites for medical school, I'd miss out on a lot of great supporting courses (biochemistry, genetics, immunology, etc.) that will later be helpful to my medical education.

Besides, what's another year or two!?

Good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that if it works for you, 91Bravo, then more power to you. However, depending on what the first degree is in, it could take quite a long time to complete the 2nd degree with a lot of superfluous course work (your examples notwithstanding). Also, depending on how strong of a science student the OP is, the upper level Bio courses could lower their GPA if they're not careful. Personally, I completed my post bac in a calander year with a 3.85. I think that showed the adcoms that I was plenty serious about gaining admission to med school. Plus being at Temple's post bac program gave me the opportunity to link to several medical schools (my undergrad GPA was too low to be considered for the linkage). What that means is that if you apply for the linkage (there are ~5 spots in the Temple Med School class reserved for postbaccers) have an undergrad GPA >3.0 (in any major), at least a 9 in each section of the MCAT, then you automatically get an interview. If you get accepted, you start classes that fall (no lag year). Now this was the deal when I was there (2000), but you get the idea. There are lots of other programs with linkages to lots of other med schools. In my opinion, if you have a strong undergrad GPA and just need the prereqs, a postbac with a linkage is the way to go. A second undergrad degree just can't give you those kinds of odds with a minimal time commitment. Just my $0.02!

What does linkage mean?

it should only take me 2 years if i engage in a second bachelor's after my first one, since i already took basic biology and chemistry. the problem is, my gpa is bad. i wonder if adcoms only look at the second one if i can get a much higher gpa for it. would they consider the whole thing as one package, or only the second degree?

Originally posted by curious dummy
it should only take me 2 years if i engage in a second bachelor's after my first one, since i already took basic biology and chemistry. the problem is, my gpa is bad. i wonder if adcoms only look at the second one if i can get a much higher gpa for it. would they consider the whole thing as one package, or only the second degree?

2 years! More power to ya, I definitely couldn't have taken that route! BTW,you do know that you have to report all your grades to AMCAS.

Originally posted by curious dummy

I think you should stay with your path then. A second bachelors degree in only 2 years is not bad. And to be honest with you, most adcoms prefer 2 years of consistent grades to convince them you have truly changed your work habits from undergrad. I spoke with one adcom and he was adamant about 2 years of coursework. He said that anyone can do awesome in a semester or two but two years is impressive.