Physical Therapy What are my chances of getting in? Any answers would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergraduate career has been somewhat scattered in terms of grades and I'm not quite sure about my chances of getting into PT school. I was working full time and going to school full time and it had a negative impact on my grades. Currently my cummulative GPA is 2.76 and my prereq GPA is at a 2.3. I took 2 science prereqs together in 1 semester and was not able to handle the courseload while working. I ended up failing Chem 2 and Bio 1 and my GPA dropped significantly. This semester I quit my job to focus on the last couple of courses I have and I am retaking the ones I've failed. I'm hopeful that I can get an A in those courses but not sure if that will be enough. I have Bio I and II Chem II, and Physics I and II left. I'm taking Chem II in the summer semester(now), Physics I and Bio I in the fall and Physics II and Bio II in the spring. I plan on applying this cycle but not sure if I really should. Do schools calculate F grades into your GPA calculation? Also, I have 3800 hours working in an outpatient PT clinic, a recommendation letter from my boss(the therapist), I will be taking the GRE in September and am going to volunteer in a local hospital during the fall semester. So sorry for the long post I really appreciate any feedback or advice you can give me. Thank You so much!
Those GPA's are really low. Most graduate programs want someone with a 3.0 GPA at least. You should talk to admissions folks at the critical PT programs you want to join and your supervising PT on what to do. It's possible you might do well first working as a PT Assistant (requires only a community college/associate's degree) if your local CC offers such a program.

If you are applying through PTCAS, you should read up on how the application GPA's are calculated from them. In general all F's are counted, and there is no such thing as grade forgiveness usually.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.