Dental What should I do after low DAT score?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just took the DAT this morning and I’m not happy with my scores. I did okay but nothing compared to how I was scoring on Bootcamp. In my opinion, Bootcamp’s bio & gen chem exams we’re really simple compared to what I got on my exam today. But then again, I probably just got a harder exam. I really don’t know. I did use destroyer and Bootcamp and I’m not really sure how I would prepare the next time around. To all my retakes, what have you done in the past to boost your scores? Side note: I am getting my bachelors in biological sciences in May, so I know I should’ve done way better in bio but I got some weird questions. I got around 2-3 questions that were patient related questions.. like “if a patient came in and had decreased levels of this.. and increased levels of this... and is taking a medication for this... are the patients _____ levels high or low?” Those questions threw me off I really wasn’t expecting anything like it. Do you think having a bio degree would compensate for this ugly 16? My gpa is around 3.85-3.89. I have 3 B+ and they’re all in chem. The rest are bio related courses all A’s. I am retaking this exam but just nervous the same thing will happen again. What do you guys think of these scores? I’m really beating myself up for it because I devoted my whole summer to this exam. But, you live and you learn. I will grow from this experience.

Here are my DAT scores:
Perceptual ability : 19
Quantitative reasoning: 17 (wayyyyyyyy harder than Bootcamp)
Reading comprehension: 22
Biology: 16
General chemistry: 16
Organic chemistry: 18
Total science: 17
Academic average: 18
Your degree in biological sciences won't compensate for a low BIO or TSCI score. You're going to have to retake it, because most of the applicant pool has 20 AA + 20 PAT, and biomed majors dominate. You have a choice to take the chance as a late applicant or reapply early next year with a much better score.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, unfortunately it'll be very hard for you to get into a school, since there's a discrepancy between your scores and your GPA (high GPA but below average DAT = grade inflation may have been going on in your school, meaning it was much easier to get an A at your university than it was elsewhere). You will definitely need to retake, and aim for a 20-21AA (20.7 is about the average of those that matriculate into dental school). Being a bio major will not mean much to schools (they're a dime a dozen) or compensate for the low bio score. As long as you retake sometime before next June, and improve, you should be good for next cycle (just make sure your school list is appropriate!).

As for your question about retakes, at the bottom of the first post, you'll find some "success stories" that should probably help: Compilation - DAT Breakdown Collection! 2017-Present

Status
Not open for further replies.