10th Percentile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ally12

Reaction score
If I’m at the 10th percentile mark for a school’s MCAT range and the secondary has a prompt to explain inconsistencies with university performance/MCAT scores, should I be discussing this or is 10th percentile fine.
NOTE: I am well above the 90th percentile for the schools cGPA and sGPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I've heard, it depends on how low we're talking. If it's a school with a very high median where the 10th percentile falls close to ~510, I wouldn't consider that score as necessitating a special explanation. If it's a lot lower than that, especially if you had an extenuating circumstance or convincing reason you could talk about, it would be more appropriate.

If I’m at the 10th percentile mark for a school’s MCAT range and the secondary has a prompt to explain inconsistencies with university performance/MCAT scores, should I be discussing this or is 10th percentile fine.
Will depend on the school. 10th %ile at Harvard is vastly different than a 10th %ile at Drexel or Rosy Franklin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only recommend applying to schools where your MCAT is at the 10th% if you have a rare and highly sought-after characteristic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For the original question... the prompt is asking you to explain inconsistency with your MCAT? I would tread VERY carefully.

Reactions: 2 users