2023-2024 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
but I was also wondering this lol, got off WL from another school on Thursday but did not want to PTE since Downstate is my #1 and didnt want that to affect their decision 😂 pure speculation tho
I'm currently PTE'd for another school so I don't think that should affect your chances of coming off the waitlist? in Downstate's email, it said I had 5 business days to commit and decline offers to all other schools, so I think the PTE really only applies to acceptances prior to April 30 because that's what allows for waitlist movement

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone getting of the waitlist PTE at another school? I'm just curious if that has any effect on their decision or not

I did PTE at another school.

Are you theorizing that Downstate is throwing some A’s at their applicants who have other acceptances to see if they even bother choosing them before handing them out to the students with no acceptances? Interesting concept. I’d like to see how that plays out along this thread. I doubt they could be that cruel though to just leave the applicants with no A’s until the end because they’re supposedly the “desperate” ones

Are you theorizing that Downstate is throwing some A’s at their applicants who have other acceptances to see if they even bother choosing them before handing them out to the students with no acceptances? Interesting concept. I’d like to see how that plays out along this thread. I doubt they could be that cruel though to just leave the applicants with no A’s until the end because they’re supposedly the “desperate” ones
I was also thinking about this and now Im thinking if sending a letter of Intent was a good idea :lol:

I was actually wondering the opposite and whether a PTE would hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist or not because they might think I'm more likely to not accept. Seems like that is not the case though

I was actually wondering the opposite and whether a PTE would hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist or not because they might think I'm more likely to not accept. Seems like that is not the case though
Based on today's round it seems like PTE doesn't play a role. For security purposes I would PTE at your other school just in case Downstate does not pan out. And if Downstate is your first choice you should send them a letter

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently PTE'd for another school so I don't think that should affect your chances of coming off the waitlist? in Downstate's email, it said I had 5 business days to commit and decline offers to all other schools, so I think the PTE really only applies to acceptances prior to April 30 because that's what allows for waitlist movement
Are you saying downstate asks you to withdraw all other acceptances within 5 days of receiving your downstate acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying downstate asks you to withdraw all other acceptances within 5 days of receiving your downstate acceptance?

Yes. At this point in the cycle, any school that accepts you off the waitlist must give you minimum 5 business days to accept your A and they can ask that you pay a non-refundable deposit and PTE to the school (and subsequently withdraw all other A’s). Otherwise, they have the right to rescind the A.

This is per the AMCAS guidelines. Additionally, that 5 day period can be shorted down to 2 days if you’re accepted within 30 days of orientation.

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know consequences for forgetting to submit on amcas cyms? May have forgot to commit by april 30th

Quick question, on the top left hand corner of the Downstate applicant portal adjacent to the applicants name, does anyone have their photo displayed or does it say "No Photo" for everyone?
Just trying to figure out if there is an issue with my Downstate portal.

anyone know consequences for forgetting to submit on amcas cyms? May have forgot to commit by april 30th

You don’t need to commit anywhere yet. You need to plan to enroll. After April 30th, all schools that gave you an A or WL can see if you’re selected plan to enroll at their institution or not. If you haven’t, the reserve the right to rescind your acceptance.

If you’re able to, fill out the plan to enroll now. Don’t wait on it and just hope they didn’t take away your A

Reactions: 1 users
^ +1 what the person above me said.

Additionally, it also depends on the school. The school where you are accepted would have given you explicit instructions on what you need to do, if you need to do anything at all.

For example - only one of the schools where I was accepted had a PTE deadline (April 29th) and a CTE deadline (sometime in June). While the other only had a CTE deadline (sometime in June). If you are unsure, just call the admissions office to check!

For the school with the PTE deadline, I took it as them reserving the right to rescind my acceptance if I didn't select PTE. Which, at this point, would be fair I guess. Good luck :)

Quick question, on the top left hand corner of the Downstate applicant portal adjacent to the applicants name, does anyone have their photo displayed or does it say "No Photo" for everyone?
Just trying to figure out if there is an issue with my Downstate portal.
This is normal. I didn’t even know there was an option to upload a photo

They specifically said (from the director, Marcel) in one of the first post-interview chats not to spam them and to only send additional updates letters after you've been waitlisted if you have significant updates (new research publication/poster, grades, new job, etc). Highly suggesting the side of caution so people's enthusiasm doesn't hurt them!

And I'm really empathetic to everyone going through this (especially since Downstate's process is more painful than most) and sorry to come across as harsh at all, but that includes spamming on here too - it's really stressful everytime people on the thread get additional notifications especially for question's that are answered earlier in the thread, speculation of more decisions, or hyperspecific questions that may be personal/sensitive to an applicant that can instead be DM'd! I know we want all the information possible and as neurotic premeds we’re trained for this but sometimes this causes more harm than good to the people around you and yourself.

Besides sending a LOI, significant updates if you actually have them, and trying to complete things on the pre-matric checklist, don't make the stressful process even more stressful & trust the process. I know its corny to say but truly the best advice from this painful process is to try and spend time with friends/family, on hobbies, read a book, enjoy the weather, and take it one day at a time. Hoping for the best for everyone and that you can find peace during these times. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted off AL just now!! LM 76, IS, did a couple things on pre matric checklist, interviewed march AL mid-late April.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
IS A, 517 mcat, 3.8 GPA, lots of clinical and research experience, Not URM.
Interviewed in September, waitlisted in March.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
For those who have been accepted, has anyone figured out housing near Downstate yet or have any leads? Most places seem to be pretty expensive

My budget is about $1400 a month for a studio/one bed. Im wondering how the dorms are tho. I may do a tour of the dorms soon.
Can’t find anything in nyc for that price without roommates unless you are the luckiest person alive. I haven’t looked at residence hall prices but that may be your best option. But if you want to live off campus you can get a great apt with that budget with roommates.