thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leonsmom

Reaction score
got good advice, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Toledo
NEOMED
Wright State
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
U Michigan
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
Hofstra
Einstein (free tuition)
Mount Sinai
NYU (free tuition)
Columbia
Cornell
Harvard
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Johns Hopkins
U Virginia
Duke
Emory
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Toledo
NEOMED
Wright State
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
U Michigan
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
Hofstra
Einstein (free tuition)
Mount Sinai
NYU (free tuition)
Columbia
Cornell
Harvard
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Johns Hopkins
U Virginia
Duke
Emory
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
thanks for the list ! I wasn't thinking of applying to any T20s bc of my lack of research experience, did you think it was still worth it to apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the list ! I wasn't thinking of applying to any T20s bc of my lack of research experience, did you think it was still worth it to apply?
Yes. The Black applicant pool is small and there are only ~100 per year that apply with a MCAT of 513+ AND a GPA of 3.6+. You should receive several interviews from T20 schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. The Black applicant pool is small and there are only ~100 per year that apply with a MCAT of 513+ AND a GPA of 3.6+. You should receive several interviews from T20 schools.
Wow! thats a crazy stat. I honestly was thinking I should stick with safeties for most of my apps since most schools have over 90-95% of matriculants with research on msar. Thanks again for the list and advice

Reactions: 1 user
Most applicants have research because they come from programs where research is part of the undergraduate or graduate curriculum. Many schools embrace student scholarship and creativity to demonstrate the value of being an independent critical thinker with a bachelor's degree. We don't ask for actual thesis titles on the questionnaire... just whether you have done research or not (however you define it).

You don’t need research. Apply to schools based on what would fit your needs/preferences as far as programs, mission fit, and location.

Apply to as many of the T20 as you like. You're competitive for all of them. Good luck.

As I'm finishing up my final school list I was just wondering if @LizzyM or @Goro would agree that I should use some of my 20 slots on T20s despite the lack of research and kinda mid stats. I understand that URM gives a boost, but it still feels like I don't stand a chance. I have just read a lot of your guy's feedback in the past and respect your opinions (not that I don't respect the opinions already stated, but rather I just can't believe schools like Harvard, nyu, etc would even look at my app). No worries if you are busy/have nothing to add

As I'm finishing up my final school list I was just wondering if @LizzyM or @Goro would agree that I should use some of my 20 slots on T20s despite the lack of research and kinda mid stats. I understand that URM gives a boost, but it still feels like I don't stand a chance. I have just read a lot of your guy's feedback in the past and respect your opinions (not that I don't respect the opinions already stated, but rather I just can't believe schools like Harvard, nyu, etc would even look at my app). No worries if you are busy/have nothing to add
I agree with the wise Faha. Aim high

Add Penn to that list. If you don’t get 10+ II with that list I’ll be very surprised. You don’t need too many safety schools.

Practice interviewing. Apply early. Come back next year with your list of acceptances.

Last edited:
I'm not sure schools are still taking URM status into account but being FGLI should help. Pick 3 of your 20 from the top 20 schools.... those you'd most like to attend given geography or curriculum...

Hey, fellow black, URM applicant here! I applied last cycle! I had a fairly similar application as yours with a similar EC profile(lots of clinical hours, effectively no research) and a little higher stats(4.0/520), and I had a decent cycle.

I will say that I think some of the T20s may honestly be tough. Now that affirmative action is dead, I’m not sure if schools consider URM status directly anymore. Between that and not having research, I think your chances at T20s may be slightly limited. By all means, please apply to some of your favorites, but I wouldn’t count on being a “shoe-in” at T20s.

I was able to get into a couple of T25s but got straight Rs from all T20s I applied to. I heavily regret applying as top heavily as I did(like 50% of my small list was T20s). Just something to keep in mind! I definitely agree with LizzyM that being FGLI will help for sure though. Overall, I personally would recommend applying broadly, including a handful of your favorite T20s.