Academic OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tongxican57

Tongxican57
Reaction score
I just want to start by saying that I am just a dental student hoping to pursue OMFS. Something I don't see much of here is the life of an academic oral surgeon. I have seen some posts about people who are well into their careers but I was wondering what life looks like if you come straight out of residency and go into academics. What do the work weeks look like? How much are you getting paid? What kind of cases are you doing? How hard is it to get a full-time job at a university? I have seen that private practice pays more but academics intrigues me and I would love to hear any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to start by saying that I am just a dental student hoping to pursue OMFS. Something I don't see much of here is the life of an academic oral surgeon. I have seen some posts about people who are well into their careers but I was wondering what life looks like if you come straight out of residency and go into academics. What do the work weeks look like? How much are you getting paid? What kind of cases are you doing? How hard is it to get a full-time job at a university? I have seen that private practice pays more but academics intrigues me and I would love to hear any insight.
It's not hard to find a job because they don't pay well. Your day-to-day will depend on your level of training and whether or not the institution can accomodate the scope of practice you desire. I'd imagine most young graduates head straight into academia to perform H&N or CF surgery which require entire multidisciplinary teams that one would have limited access to in private practice. Some institutions may not be willing to accomodate a maxface grad venturing to take over these subspecialties. Besides H&N and CF, I don't see why one would want or need to remain tethered to an academic institution to do dentoalveolar or orthognathic surgery as there are a myriad of surgeons successfully performing these surgeries in a private practice setting and with better renumeration.

Most states have laws where they publish state employee salary data. Most academic institutions are state university hospitals, so faculty are state employees. You can look up faculty. Then search the salary database and see what people make.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most states have laws where they publish state employee salary data. Most academic institutions are state university hospitals, so faculty are state employees. You can look up faculty. Then search the salary database and see what people make.
It’s not that simple…see following post by a PD ( nade0016 who is active on SDN and always provides great advice and insight):

“OK, So I currently have a salary of $287,000 base with an augmentation from the OR and for being on call that totals another 100K. So depending on OR production and call frequency I bring in (pre-tax) between 360-390K per year. Then I also have a one day a week in PP with Pacific Dental Services. This add another 200-250K/year pre-tax. So, all told, pretax I am at between 560-740K per year pre-tax and this depends on many factors but last year it was 605K based on my tax return.

As for building the practice that will depend on what type of practice and the location you are at. Example, for hospital based academics it will take a few years if you rely on the hospital system to get you referral and depending on how active you are in soliciting referrals. My experience is hospitals are tougher to develop a practice and referral pattern unless you come into a situation where a surgeon just left and you step into their role. In dental schools the referral pattern is already built in but will generally be more bread and butter OMS. As well, in a SoD you will probably have (get to) teach pre-doc some as well as residents. I get great benefits, significant time off (when I am off, I still get paid) where as when you are in PP if you take a vacation you are not generating revenue. There are so many advantages to the academic route that, for me, those benefits out weighed the additional 200-300K of income. Plus I get to do big cases (what I trained for) and some prestige in the community. I am now involved in committees and task forces that I would never have imagined when I was in residency.

If you are purely concerned about money (loans, etc.) then don't go into academics. It is slower to develop an income stream and you really need patience to work in academics but the reward is awesome. I have been at my University for only about 8 years and the SoD is paying for me to go to grad school and take administration courses so I can pursue becoming a Dean or Hospital administrator. Its an area that would not be an option in PP.

Lastly, you asked if there was something I would have asked for when I initially started in academics. Not really, I have had good mentors that have wanted me to succeed and put me on the path to where I am now. So if you decide to go into academics, make sure you have a good mentor with your career and interests at heart. They should be trying to build you up and get you into their position.

We could also speak about the tenure versus non-tenure differences but that is a much more in depth discussion.”

Reactions: 1 users
This is tricky. Salary is publishable. Augmentations and supplementations are not necessarily published. What you will see on state websites is base salary. There may be more that is not reported.

Reactions: 2 users