[URGENT] ACOM vs WCUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theriddler3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in Internal Medicine at this point but I am unsure of how I would progress with it.

William Carey - COM

PROS
- P/F (with internal ranking)
- older (est. in 2008)
- cost of living is low
- 100% placement rate and has some matches that i'd be interested in
- matches competively to urology, ophthalmology, radiology, etc.
- two major hospitals in the city
- strong community outreach
- connected to an undergraduate school so more resources are available

CONS
- 6 hours away
- high attrition rate (~11%)
- doesn't seem to have very many research opportunities
- lottery rotations and requires you to come back to hattiesburg for opp practicals
- rotations are all over MS, LA, FL, AL (continue to be farther away from home)

Tuiition: 192k
Total COA: 384,360

Alabama - COM

PROS
- 4 hours away
- has placements in places I’d be interested in
- 99% placement rate
- matches competitively to urology, dermatology, radiology, etc.
- rotation sites are set up for you and you have a 1:1 preceptor ratio and they are in AL, FL, GA so I can still be close to home.
- hospital near campus that you can get involved in
- seems to have good research
- seems to consistently do better than the national average in terms of COMLEX Levels and overall seems to do better than WCUCOM
- rotations are through ranking and computer algorithm which honestly might be the same as lottery lol
- on campus housing (5 minute walk from med building)

CONS
- graded ***
- newer
- high attrition rate (class of '24 had 35 people drop but class of '23 had 17 people drop)

Tuition: 237,552
Total COA: 370, 923

I honestly just want to go to the school that I don't have to fight tooth and nail to just pass and I obviously want to do better than just pass.

Members don't see this ad.

messaged you but just gonna correct some errors here for anyone else reading!

1) WCUCOM is very loosely associated with the undergrad and there aren't any additional opportunities available through the undergrad.
2) there's plenty of research opportunities specifically offered through the school and their rural health initiatives the summer between M1-M2.
3) most sites are lottery, but there are 5-6 sites that are application based. (you apply, they accept you if they like you) i
4) i don't know how you do better than a 99% COMLEX pass rate but yes if ACOM had a 100% COMLEX pass rate last year then technically thats better? hahahah i will say every single medical school inflates their boards pass rate through a variety of factors

also you mentioned not wanting to fight tooth and nail to pass, but graded curriculum is ABSOLUTELY gonna make you do that while also pitting you against your peers so