Advice: Columbia SPURS or MSK SCORE program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainRavens

Reaction score
Hello all; fairly new to SDN so please be gentle if I've missed anything:

I'm a non-trad student who has had a decent amount of difficulty finding research opportunities. As luck would have it, I got word that I have been accepted to Columbia's SPUR program (Home | SPURS) as well as Memorial Sloan Kettering's SCORE program (Summer Clinical Oncology Research Experience (SCORE) Program: Engaging Undergraduates from Diverse Backgrounds in Cancer Research - Journal of Cancer Education).

I confess to being a little overwhelmed, and uncertain as to how to base my decision. In my ignorance, both seem highly reputable, both are of similar length and time investment, seem to be of similar overall program design, both involve stipends and are roughy equal commutes.

It's also entirely possible that there is some significant difference or differences here that I'm not perceiving or have otherwise missed, that might make this decision more straightforward. I'm not an indecisive person by nature, but I feel like I could use some help or insight and I hoped this might be a good/appropriate place to potentially glean some of that.

It should be pointed out that they occur during essentially the same calendar dates, so doing both would not be physically possible.

FWIW the programs take place after my MCAT date, I am hoping to apply this cycle, first-gen college student disadvantaged background, etc., etc. Am genuinely interested in research, and, well, I want to get into medical school. I have until Wednesday, 03/20, to finalize an acceptance for the SCORE program, so I have a few day in which to mull, though the distress has proven distracting already.

Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, you can flip a coin on that. Good luck! You can ask the G/MSK folks about outcomes regarding medical school vs. graduate school success, but that's also a bit what the article you cited is about.

Honestly, you can flip a coin on that. Good luck! You can ask the G/MSK folks about outcomes regarding medical school vs. graduate school success, but that's also a bit what the article you cited is about.
Thank you for your response. :)

At the risk of sounding very dumb, are there cultural considerations to be had? As in, is either institution known for a particular campus culture, for better or worse (at least, that you might be aware of)?

If I gotta flip a coin then so be it, but man I'm pretty used to deciding between worse and more-worse options; this is a new gambit for me.

Thank you for your response. :)

At the risk of sounding very dumb, are there cultural considerations to be had? As in, is either institution known for a particular campus culture, for better or worse (at least, that you might be aware of)?

If I gotta flip a coin then so be it, but man I'm pretty used to deciding between worse and more-worse options; this is a new gambit for me.
This depends on your lab. It's not like going to class and taking exams. More like a job.

Reactions: 1 user