[removed]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buddhabuddy

Reaction score
[removed]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For finances:

I believe if you get a scholarship 1K>, you automatically get considered for IS tuition, which will lower down your COA estimate substantially, but if @wysdoc or @texasvandy could confirm that or correct me if I'm wrong I would appreciate it. So I think Baylor is probably gonna be substantially cheaper than Brown.

For school to school comparison:

1. Both schools are great, but Baylor is definitely the better institution and while you are giving Brown a + for being an Ivy League institution, within medicine Baylor definitely has more prestige. It will open more doors and has world class research at the Texas Medical Center.
2. Baylor should get a point in your book because it has P/F throughout (which I think is silly that people are calling it a con). It will make your quality of life much better.
3. Sure there may be some competition in the TMC for research amongst students (reportedly but idk how true this even is) but Baylor is the top dog in town there and most docs will want to work with you on research regardless. I think there will also be a larger breadth of research going on at Baylor than Brown.
4. It may be easier to match to East Coast programs if you go to Brown, but it should not be impossible for you to go back East from Baylor. You are from FL so residency programs will believe you when you say you want to do your training outside of TX. You don't have ties to the state like most Baylor students do so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I personally think Baylor will offer you better connections to the West Coast, Midwest, and South than Brown because of its faculty and their reputation. I go to school out on the West Coast and most doctors here know about Baylor and respect it.

In terms of the lifestyle/personal stuff:

1. For me Houston is so much better than Providence. Much more diverse of a city, better weather (if you like heat), and so much more to do. Way more than Boston too, which is the closest big city to you. Houston is car centric, but so is Providence.
2. How deep into your relationship with your SO are you? Are you considering engagement and marriage or is this a relationship in its infancy? If its in its infancy, I would not make a career decision that puts you in substantially more debt at an institution with less opportunities to keep exploring something that statistically would not work out just given the rate of success of normal relationships. If its very serious (marriage material) then maybe it would be worth it for you to stay in Providence but its still gonna be a little long distance. However, even then my guess is that your SO could move to Houston more easily in the future to find a job there than they would be able to find an equivalent job in Providence. Houston has so many more economic sectors than Providence.
3. One thing to always keep in mind in Texas is shifting landscape of reproductive rights - idk if this matters to you but just want to put that on your radar.
4. Proximity to family is nice from Houston. Providence doesn't have many direct flights and that may make it more of a hassle to see family.
5. Yes, 80% of your classmates will be Texans but Texas is such a huge state with many different cultures and viewpoints that it won't suffer from a lack of diversity in most regards other than regional diversity.

I think most of these points favor Baylor and my vote is for Baylor.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes that’s true about the Baylor scholarship-
Your tuition will be the in-state tuition minus the 13,000 each year.
I’m a loyal Texan so I would prefer Baylor, but it seems to be stressing you out.

Reactions: 1 user
I matched at a prestigious East Coast program from Baylor.

Baylor matches in Texas because most of their students are from Texas and people tend to match close to friends and family. In medicine, Baylor has a bigger more prestigious name brand than Brown. Additionally, I loved my time in Houston.

I'm biased - but Id choose the stronger + cheaper school and figure out long-distance. But that is a decision for you to weigh

Reactions: 1 user