California University of Sciences and Medicine (CUSM) vs Creighton Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HomoSapienSapien

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDN community. I have the privilege of choosing between two exceptional programs emphasizing health equity and underserved medicine, but I need help deciding. I got off the waitlist from CUSM yesterday afternoon and don't have any information regarding financial aid for this school yet. For Creighton, I was only offered loans. I estimate the COA to be roughly the same since both are private institutions. To add more context, I'm interested in pursuing pediatrics and want to pursue a CA residency, having lived in the state all my life. This is the information I've gathered so far, but please feel free to correct or clarify any of these points. Thank you, and I kindly ask you not to quote this post for privacy.

Creighton PHX

Pros:
+ More established track record/curriculum when factoring in the ties with the Omaha campus
+ More well-known name when it comes to residency matching
+ Curriculum with integration of public health and clinical skills in conjunction with the bodily system being taught
+ Phoenix Children's Hospital is among the nation's best
+ I like the principle of Cura Personalis

Cons:
- Far from my support system
- Summer weather is intense
- No NBME exams
- Lesser emphasis on research (school appears heavily focused on service)

CUSM

Pros:
+ Option to begin clerkships in the 2nd half of year 2
+ Mandated medical Spanish courses (I want to obtain bilingual proficiency)
+ NBME exams for STEP prep
+ Case-based learning (I learn best via the application of real-life examples. Reverse classroom setting appears to be very student-driven too, but it can be hit or miss)
+ Integrated curriculum
+ More opportunities/emphasis for research with many students pursuing a "Scholars" program
+ Closer to support system
+ More ideal weather
+ Increased chance of matching into CA residency due to the school being in-state

Cons: Primarily centered around it being a young medical school
- Less established track record and a lesser-known name when considering the whole of Creighton's history
- Smaller networking scope?

Members don't see this ad.

Matching into peds is probably the most doable specialty from any school; you could probably match peds in CA from a Caribbean program. You will have no trouble matching CA peds from either of these schools, so pick the one that you liked the most (if they cost the same), which sounds like is CUSM.