CCLCM vs UWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melodic-mermaid

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm very grateful to have more school options after WL movement. I would really appreciate words of wisdom and insight. I’m wondering which school might set me up better for matching at a top program (preferably on the west coast)? Is CCLCM the clear better financial choice when considering the extra year (5 years free versus 4 years paid)?

For context, I’m undecided on specialty but interested in some competitive specialties like ent. I enjoy research but don’t want it to be a focus in my career, just 1 or 2 small projects on the side of my clinical practice

UWSOM Pros:
-Family and support in-state. Familiar with the city and easier to move into an apartment here
-Would like to eventually settle down in this state or on the west coast, so going to the med school gives me an edge for matching in region
-Moving to a 4-year P/F curriculum, which is great for taking stress off of clinical rotations
-Ability to pursue a “minor” in a subject of interest
-Combination lectures and case-based learning, typically noon-5pm

Cons:
-Emphasis on primary care, which I am not interested in pursuing
-Despite high research ranking, there’s not much built in time for research, so I may have to hustle to fit this into my schedule and find my own opportunities
-$250k in tuition for 4 years, which is expensive, but I’d probably be able to graduate with little debt
-Internal rankings, which might add to a competitiveness among students
-I didn’t like the level of organization or vibes from those I met on interview day. It was my least favorite interview day, which I know I should take with a grain of salt
-Many students commute, which may contribute to a weaker student community

CCLCM Pros:
-Substantial research in the curriculum. Can graduate with a MD/MS and honors in research
-Free tuition which improves quality of life
-No grades, no exams, no rankings for all 5 years
-Typically classes 8-12. Thursdays are completely free. A lot of free time
-32 students in the class which means close mentorship, built-in friend group, but also means no hiding
-Combination of lectures (“seminars”?) and PBL
-Prestigious program will help when it comes time for residency matching
-Students I met were really chill and not stressed

Cons:
-The extra fifth year is a forfeited year of attending salary, so is the free tuition much of a bargain? I already took gap years doing research and feel a bit behind
-I don’t know anyone in Cleveland and there didn't seem like much to do in the city. Basing this off of a 2 hour trip to Cleveland and didn’t attend second look so taking this with a grain of salt
-Not yet used to relying on subjective feedback from students and faculty (rather than test scores) and required oral presentations - I guess this can also be a plus, good preparation for residency
-Only allowed to have 3 days for absences during the first 2 years
-Far from home

Thank you in advance for the insight!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, could you elaborate on your reasoning?
I think they've just commented "UW" on every x vs y post.

You have 2 incredible options. I wouldn't focus on the perceived prestige here - both are fantastic programs. If finances are important to you, the cost difference would likely be massive - I would take CCLM in a heartbeat (and the research year will help you match to specialties that are more competitive if you choose them).

That being said, your family and friends are in Washington, and I would seriously consider how important it is to be around them in medical school. And I wouldn't worry about the "primary care" perception - UW is a huge research school (though you may find yourself doing the extra research year anyways to match into certain specialties).

Either way, I don't think you have a wrong choice, but I would go with CC for the cost - congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
I think they've just commented "UW" on every x vs y post.

You have 2 incredible options. I wouldn't focus on the perceived prestige here - both are fantastic programs. If finances are important to you, the cost difference would likely be massive - I would take CCLM in a heartbeat (and the research year will help you match to specialties that are more competitive if you choose them).

That being said, your family and friends are in Washington, and I would seriously consider how important it is to be around them in medical school. And I wouldn't worry about the "primary care" perception - UW is a huge research school (though you may find yourself doing the extra research year anyways to match into certain specialties).

Either way, I don't think you have a wrong choice, but I would go with CC for the cost - congratulations!
Yes, please pick CCLM here. The free tuition is huge, as long as you can tolerate being away from family.

Taking gap year in medical school is becoming common for competitive specialities so 5 years at CCLM shouldn’t be considered as a negative.