Do schools screen for both cGPA and sGPA or just one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenloverr5

Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Given your circumstances and your good postbacc performance, there are many schools that won’t screen you out because of your undergrad GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
When I look at a CBC (complete blood count) result, I don't just look at your WBC's and RBC's, even if the data are displayed prominently along with the "normal" ranges. The good schools and admissions screening protocols know this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Given your circumstances and your good postbacc performance, there are many schools that won’t screen you out because of your undergrad GPA.

What schools should I aim for when making my list that would consider my postbac + reasoning for why my gpa was low?

When I look at a CBC (complete blood count) result, I don't just look at your WBC's and RBC's, even if the data are displayed prominently along with the "normal" ranges. The good schools and admissions screening protocols know this.

Thank you! Should I consider applying to MD schools too?

Where is your state of residence ? What are your ECs (hours of shadowing, clinical volunteering with patient contact, non clinical volunteering). when are you planning to take the MCAT ?

Where is your state of residence ? What are your ECs (hours of shadowing, clinical volunteering with patient contact, non clinical volunteering). when are you planning to take the MCAT ?

deleted

Last edited:
Did you post your WAMC? Did you do the networking I suggested?

I haven’t yet because I haven’t taken my MCAT yet. Should I post one prior to taking my MCAT? Yes, I was able to find a mentor who is a black physician and a prior adcom member. He was able to connect with me an adcom member at the school I really want to attend. I also contacted their SNMA chapter and i’m waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 2 users
I haven’t yet because I haven’t taken my MCAT yet. Should I post one prior to taking my MCAT? Yes, I was able to find a mentor who is a black physician and a prior adcom member. He was able to connect with me an adcom member at the school I really want to attend. I also contacted their SNMA chapter and i’m waiting to hear back!
Ok. Thanks for what you did post. :) Nail that test!

Reactions: 1 users
We’ll be happy to help you make a list when you get your MCAT score.

• Love
My state of residence is CA and i’ll be taking the MCAT on the 27th of this month

research:

neuro research - 2 years plus full time in the summer (1000 hrs) 1 international conference, 1 regional conference, 1 poster, 1 poster talk/presentation, no pubs

clinical:

home health aide both private in home and in nursing homes - 3500+ hours
children’s hospital volunteer on the hem/onc and rehab units - 200
founder of a club helping elders with neurological diseases - 300

non-clinical:

leader of the fgli program (paid position) - 2000
public health mission abroad (I have a strong reason for this not being voluntourism) - 350
pre med club leader - 250
led service and justice org to help students at my school start volunteering/get involved in social justice - 100
black student union leader (4 years) - 600
neuro club pres - 300

hobbies:

tennis - i’ve played on varsity teams and intramural teams throughout college

others: dean’s list, service awards, national service awards, research awards, national grant for community service event

shadowing: 0 (I have hours scheduled before app i’ll have around 50)

LORs: 2 science professors i’ve taken multiple classes with, my PI who I also took classes with, my clinical job boss, volunteer “boss”, president of my undergrad who has seen me involved in multiple clubs/orgs on campus, advisor for a club I was leader in, mentor who is a physician and i’ll be shadowing
Post your MCAT score here when available and I will suggest schools.