Does this count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinky35

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but I applied to this job to be a Behavioral Technician and this is the job description:

• Provide personal hygiene assistance for patients or those recovering from surgeries, injuries or accidents by attending to their basic needs, such as showering, bathing, dressing and eating
  • Help clients take prescribed medication and assist clients with ambulation
  • Help with mobility around the house or outside (doctor’s appointments, walks etc.)
  • Plan and prepare meals
  • Follow behavioral programs
  • Assist with physical therapy exercises
  • Complete client’s shopping or accompany them to successfully do so
  • Perform housekeeping duties
  • Report any unusual incidents and act quickly and responsibly in cases of emergency
  • Offer activities that are essential for daily living by assisting patients with their meals, including serving and other tasks, if necessary
I'm asking this because I've seen mixed reviews on whether a Behavioral Technican counts as clinical experience. I kind of wanted to know if, in this case, it counts or if this is more of a caregiver role.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on what you end up doing and where, you could say your duties were along the lines of a patient care technician (nurse's aide) or more like a home health care housekeeper. If it is mostly housekeeping, shopping and driving for someone at home, it is not really clinical (my mom had someone with a HS diploma who these tasks and was in no way a clinical worker).

If you are in a facility and governed by its rules and hierarchy and providing bathing, washing, dressing, PT assistance, safe transfers from bed to chair then it is a bit more clinical.

Reactions: 1 users
Depending on what you end up doing and where, you could say your duties were along the lines of a patient care technician (nurse's aide) or more like a home health care housekeeper. If it is mostly housekeeping, shopping and driving for someone at home, it is not really clinical (my mom had someone with a HS diploma who these tasks and was in no way a clinical worker).

If you are in a facility and governed by its rules and hierarchy and providing bathing, washing, dressing, PT assistance, safe transfers from bed to chair then it is a bit more clinical.
Agree with my learned colleague.

It's admirable, whether clinical or not!

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with LizzyM. I tend to lean "clinical" the more your duties address activities of daily living (ADLs) and you are consistently working with the medical team.

Prepare for interview questions.

Reactions: 1 user