Failed Research Project Impact on Future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishingphyscian

Reaction score
Currently working on an industry funded research project (sample collection from patients with a rare disease) and just had a concerning meeting with my PI.

For background, I was put in charge of the project (which was brand new itself ) right out of undergrad with no clinical research experience. There were a lot of growing pains for the first few months and I fully accept I made some mistakes.

During this meeting, my PI yelled at me as we are lagging behind the projected enrollment. She said that because the project is based on a contract we are dependent on its funding to keep the lab open and coworkers employed (worded as everyone will lose their job if we don’t increase recruitment). She then accused me of not being good at recruiting patients as the reason for our struggles.

From the start she has had a very opportunistic view of patients ($$) and it is killing my love for research as well as giving me a gross feeling inside. We have had numerous patients drop out of the project because they didn’t like the pressure they felt to continue from her. She also does not help with the patient experience (often late or no-showing appointments, not placing the correct orders resulting in insurance charges, etc). However, whenever I try to bring these criticisms to her she accuses the patients of not caring about finding a cure for the disease and me for not working hard enough. All of this is very distressing and stressful to me.

Thankfully I am accepted to medical school in the fall and am planning to leave the lab soon. However, I’m worried about my PI’s criticisms affecting my future (recommendations, jeopardizing my acceptance). Is it possible to get in trouble for not living up to the contract? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quit now. You don’t need that aggravation in your life, and you’re already accepted. It sounds like the PI is a dope and will torpedo their own career soon enough.
Don’t give any reason, just 2 weeks notice. If they give you a hard time, offer to stop work effectively immediately if that will work better. That might get their attention. If they get nasty just walk out and into HR to explain why you have to leave today with no notice. If you’re in a one party record state, put your phone on record for the encounter. Just keep saying sorry it didn’t work out.

Reactions: 4 users
Quit now. You don’t need that aggravation in your life, and you’re already accepted. It sounds like the PI is a dope and will torpedo their own career soon enough.
Don’t give any reason, just 2 weeks notice. If they give you a hard time, offer to stop work effectively immediately if that will work better. That might get their attention. If they get nasty just walk out and into HR to explain why you have to leave today with no notice. If you’re in a one party record state, put your phone on record for the encounter. Just keep saying sorry it didn’t work out.
Thank you. I’m planning my resignation letter as we speak. I just feel bad for my coworkers as I don’t want funding to be jeopardized like my PI keeps saying.

Thank you. I’m planning my resignation letter as we speak. I just feel bad for my coworkers as I don’t want funding to be jeopardized like my PI keeps saying.
If the funding is solely dependent on someone fresh out of undergrad, this PI is totally clueless and deserves their lab to collapse tbh. Sucks for your coworkers, but it happens.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Your PI sounds like a loon. This will have no effect on your future, except to teach you how NOT to run a research project. Give your notice, and start training your coworkers to take over your job (although they are probably miserable too, and might all leave with you!)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, I lot of individuals who are placed in managerial roles are ill-equipped to actually manage. When things falter they avoid the hard work of identifying and fixing the problems, which requires a certain degree of humility, and instead resort to blaming others.

This situation is a very good lesson in recognizing a no-win situation and cutting your losses. If I were you I'd get a job folding jeans at Gap and just enjoy the hell out of my summer.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
You mentioned you feel bad for your coworkers - that's admirable, but ultimately you are not the PI, and you shouldn't slide into codependency and enable the actual PI's poor performance.

When you're also being mistreated. Your coworkers can also quit, you know. Get out now and use your time more productively.

Reactions: 3 users
You were going to leave this team anyway to go to medical school. Let everyone give you the good-luck party and keep in touch with the co-workers if you like them. Stay connected on LinkedIn. Don't get too weepy about this.

Reactions: 1 user
With regard to the patients/research subjects: in all likelihood, PI will need to report enrollment to the IRB on an annual basis and the number who withdrew and why (e.g. subject withdrew consent). That can trigger an audit of a project and a corrective action plan which could include retraining of PI and team members who consent subjects. You could help the process along by contacting the IRB on your last day and letting them know that there are some concerns on the part of the potential subjects, current subjects, and former subjects that the PI pressures them to give consent. This is not good and could land your institution in trouble with the feds, not to mention that it is unjust in terms of respect for persons/autonomy.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Currently working on an industry funded research project (sample collection from patients with a rare disease) and just had a concerning meeting with my PI.

For background, I was put in charge of the project (which was brand new itself ) right out of undergrad with no clinical research experience. There were a lot of growing pains for the first few months and I fully accept I made some mistakes.

During this meeting, my PI yelled at me as we are lagging behind the projected enrollment. She said that because the project is based on a contract we are dependent on its funding to keep the lab open and coworkers employed (worded as everyone will lose their job if we don’t increase recruitment). She then accused me of not being good at recruiting patients as the reason for our struggles.

From the start she has had a very opportunistic view of patients ($$) and it is killing my love for research as well as giving me a gross feeling inside. We have had numerous patients drop out of the project because they didn’t like the pressure they felt to continue from her. She also does not help with the patient experience (often late or no-showing appointments, not placing the correct orders resulting in insurance charges, etc). However, whenever I try to bring these criticisms to her she accuses the patients of not caring about finding a cure for the disease and me for not working hard enough. All of this is very distressing and stressful to me.

Thankfully I am accepted to medical school in the fall and am planning to leave the lab soon. However, I’m worried about my PI’s criticisms affecting my future (recommendations, jeopardizing my acceptance). Is it possible to get in trouble for not living up to the contract? Thanks!
Did you submit the LoR from your PI? It's pretty much unheard of to do research and not submit a LoR from the PI or at least someone involved with the project. Ideally you want someone who worked with you from the beginning to the end.

I have never heard of a such a thing--"accuses the patients of not caring about finding a cure for the disease." Are you serious?

Did you submit the LoR from your PI? It's pretty much unheard of to do research and not submit a LoR from the PI or at least someone involved with the project.
That's far from unheard of. There are a lot of toxic Pis out there, and therefore a lot of contentious relationships. Depending on the employment situation it may also be impractical to ask for a LOR without endangering one's job and income.

Reactions: 1 users