Getting into endo residency with low GPA/rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXftw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am thinking of applying to endodontic residency next cycle. I never knew I'd enjoy endo until I got out of dental school and got a few cases under my belt. By sheer chance, I ended up in a very endo heavy associateship my first year out of dental school. I ended up falling in love with endodontics and wanting to learn everything I possibly could to get the best clinical outcomes. Other than endo, the only other aspect of general dentistry I enjoy are extractions. I don't really enjoy prosth, fillings or dentures and implants just aren't what I thought they'd be. When I take CE I only find myself getting excited about Endo CE. I didn't do that well in dental school. Mostly my own fault, but I also suffered a sports injury my third year and missed a whole semester of clinic which didn't help. Anyways, I finished with about a 3.0 GPA (maybe a little less) and a class rank of about 112 of 140. I have tried to convince myself not to pursue a residency over the past two years because I knew I probably wouldn't be competitive. Despite my best efforts, I've come to the conclusion that I will do everything possible to try and earn a spot into any program that will take the chance on me. I am willing to do whatever it takes. At the moment, I plan to shadow as many endodontists as possible, join AAE and go to the spring conference, compile a detailed portfolio of my endo cases, email program directors and fly out to visit programs, take the ADAT, and join as many dental societies as I can. I know that my academic competence is a lot better than what is reflected by my dental school stats. l am very confident that with adequate preparation I can score in the 90 something percentile on the ADAT. Knowing how competitive endo is, I am wondering is whether or not this is even a realistic goal? Does anyone know of somebody in a similar circumstance getting a spot in an endo residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am thinking of applying to endodontic residency next cycle. I never knew I'd enjoy endo until I got out of dental school and got a few cases under my belt. By sheer chance, I ended up in a very endo heavy associateship my first year out of dental school. I ended up falling in love with endodontics and wanting to learn everything I possibly could to get the best clinical outcomes. Other than endo, the only other aspect of general dentistry I enjoy are extractions. I don't really enjoy prosth, fillings or dentures and implants just aren't what I thought they'd be. When I take CE I only find myself getting excited about Endo CE. I didn't do that well in dental school. Mostly my own fault, but I also suffered a sports injury my third year and missed a whole semester of clinic which didn't help. Anyways, I finished with about a 3.0 GPA (maybe a little less) and a class rank of about 112 of 140. I have tried to convince myself not to pursue a residency over the past two years because I knew I probably wouldn't be competitive. Despite my best efforts, I've come to the conclusion that I will do everything possible to try and earn a spot into any program that will take the chance on me. I am willing to do whatever it takes. At the moment, I plan to shadow as many endodontists as possible, join AAE and go to the spring conference, compile a detailed portfolio of my endo cases, email program directors and fly out to visit programs, take the ADAT, and join as many dental societies as I can. I know that my academic competence is a lot better than what is reflected by my dental school stats. l am very confident that with adequate preparation I can score in the 90 something percentile on the ADAT. Knowing how competitive endo is, I am wondering is whether or not this is even a realistic goal? Does anyone know of somebody in a similar circumstance getting a spot in an endo residency?
Realistically, it's very difficult to get into endo even with a high class rank and many years of work experience. I think your 3.0 GPA will not meet the minimum cutline for many programs. I had a low GPA/class ranking as well and decided to pursue AEGD/GPR prior to applying to an Endodontics residency. I think you should highly consider doing it, too. I don't know if doing well on the ADAT will get your foot in the door of interviews. From my experience, Program directors don't value the ADAT score as much as the class ranking/GPA. Good luck!

The lower your numbers are on paper, the more networking you'll have to do to circumvent the automatic sifting of that applications. It'll be hard but it can definitely happen. Just try your best to show you're super interested in endo (which may mean re-applying if you don't get in the first time).

ADAT is not super important for a candidate with already a high rank/GPA, but for those with lower numbers it is very important, so you can show the PDs that yes, you changed your study habits around and can definitely handle the academics.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above statements. GPR/AEGD that is a possible feeder program or has good networking with the local endo program helps. There’s some GPRS with endo fellowship tracks that looks good on resume. Scoring well on ADAT is important given your GPA. There are some endo internships around US but you have to usually pay 20-40K a year to be a part of it and usually it’s just an observership. Endo publication in a reputable paper may help.

I don’t think doing private practice with endo CE is going to get you anywhere. I say this because you’ll need to separate yourself as a candidate and it will take significant endo experiences and accomplishments, all that come at a steep opportunity cost.

Even with all this, this will only give you a “chance” at getting an interview. That GPA if it’s sub 3.0 will be hard to climb from.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!! I'm an International Dentist with an Advance Standing program from a school in the US. GPA 3.73, class rank 48/82, haven't taken the ADAT but planning to; experience as a Dental assistant in Endo and shadowing a local endodontist. GP experience of 1 year. What my chances are/ what should I strengthen to get any chance in Endo residency? Thanks!!

Not impossible but it will be hard. May take a few tries before you can get in. I applied for the first time this past cycle and got 3 interviews(my state school, UCLA, UMKC) with class rank 53/81(top 20 and 30 out of 83 students first and second year cumulatively but did horrible my last 2 years hence the huge drop at the end) and didn't get in. I feel like I was close though lol..

But yeah definitely need to build connections with the PD and make your resume scream endo.

Reactions: 2 users
Not impossible but it will be hard. May take a few tries before you can get in. I applied for the first time this past cycle and got 3 interviews(my state school, UCLA, UMKC) with class rank 53/81(top 20 and 30 out of 83 students first and second year cumulatively but did horrible my last 2 years hence the huge drop at the end) and didn't get in. I feel like I was close though lol..

But yeah definitely need to build connections with the PD and make your resume scream endo.
I know Endo is competitive but I’m surprised you didn’t get in.

Wishing you the best this next cycle (it’s right around the corner). I am a fellow navy dentist so I’m rooting for you!

I know Endo is competitive but I’m surprised you didn’t get in.

Wishing you the best this next cycle (it’s right around the corner). I am a fellow navy dentist so I’m rooting for you!
Thanks but I decided to stay in for now and just signed 3 year retention bonus till 2025. 😂. I may try again in a few years lol

Had a sub 3.0 GPA before my dental school switched to pass/fail halfway through. Didn't take ADAT. Still got in.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s not impossible but some programs have a 3.0 cut off, and they won’t budge. So there are going to be at least a dozen programs of the less than 60 that are not an option, regardless of what you do moving forward.

But you may be able to get in, and if it’s your passion, try at least 3 cycles in a row. Hard to put your life and career on hold for that long though….good luck!

do a Gpr or aegd that offers endo. Boom you’ll be a shoe-in for endo residency. Especially if you’re able to complete a good amount of endo cases throughout the residency

do a Gpr or aegd that offers endo. Boom you’ll be a shoe-in for endo residency. Especially if you’re able to complete a good amount of endo cases throughout the residency

Don’t do this if you have already started practicing. Waste of money and time. You won’t be a shoe-in by doing this unfortunately. I know plenty of people who were top or near top of their class, did GPR/AEGD and still didn’t get in.

Reactions: 1 users