Getting into research without knowing desired specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kbmb123

Reaction score
The title pretty much sums it up. I start med school this year and I want to get into research ASAP. However, I have no clue what specialty I want to end up in. Is there any type of research that looks good across the board? Or should it always be geared towards one’s desired specialty? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Any research looks good across the board, you can tailor your research when you figure out your specialty later

Reactions: 1 users
IM research looks good across the board but sub fields like uro or ent will require specialty specific research too

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In general, specialty-related research > any other research >>>> no research. If you're still deciding, you should look at the more competitive fields you're interested in and choose research projects in those fields. The sooner you decide which specialty you're going to go into, the faster you'll be able to switch research labs and start producing the research you'll need.

Reactions: 2 users
The title pretty much sums it up. I start med school this year and I want to get into research ASAP. However, I have no clue what specialty I want to end up in. Is there any type of research that looks good across the board? Or should it always be geared towards one’s desired specialty? Thanks!
Do something cancer related

• Hmm
Do something cancer related
Why, since you are making that recommendation, maybe the OP would like to know the reasoning behind it as opposed to doing something surgery related?

Why, since you are making that recommendation, maybe the OP would like to know the reasoning behind it as opposed to doing something surgery related?
I am curious about this. Is cancer research more favorably looked upon for any specific reasons?

I am curious about this. Is cancer research more favorably looked upon for any specific reasons?
Because it’s broad enough to have applications across specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
What interests do you have with respect to medicine, anything specific? Asking yourself these questions may help lead you toward a certain field of research. Although some research is better than none at all, you also don't want to waste your time in a research field just to say you had research either.

Think carefully before deciding which research to take. I also agree that, once you decide on a speciality, you can then gravitate toward field specific research.

if you have the skillset ; do anything computational/statistical/quanty

Because it’s broad enough to have applications across specialties.
Does this mean if I do research on say p53 or Ras signaling, it would be fine for ortho? I would've thought ortho would require musculoskeletal cancer research or something.

Some advice I got was to think about the most competitive specialty you might be interested in, and start doing research with them from the beginning. If you stick with that specialty you'll have a full 4-5 years worth of papers. If not, you'll be set up well for most other specialties since you'll have research and were gearing up for something more competitive than the specialty you switched to. This is how I approached it; ended up sticking with the first choice specialty and matching in said specialty.

Some advice I got was to think about the most competitive specialty you might be interested in, and start doing research with them from the beginning. If you stick with that specialty you'll have a full 4-5 years worth of papers. If not, you'll be set up well for most other specialties since you'll have research and were gearing up for something more competitive than the specialty you switched to. This is how I approached it; ended up sticking with the first choice specialty and matching in said specialty.
But what if you end up switching from competitive specialty to a different competitive specialty?