GPA 2.3 What Can I do For Admission.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeSmith

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a degree in computer science 10 years ago from a big name university.
My Overall GPA was "2.3" .I just messed up, that simple. For the next 10 years I worked in the field. Recently, I wanted I wanted to chase my dream of becoming a doctor. So, I enrolled in a university for a second B.S. degree in Biology and graduated with a GPA of 3.85. I went to another university in parallel and redid all my upper level classes in computer science and had a new second B.S degree in computer science with a 3.9 GPA. I also had 33 on the MCAT.
What are my chances getting into US med school? What can I do to get there?
Which schools I should apply for?
I should add that I am 36 years old.

Members don't see this ad.

The upward trend in your GPA is definitely a good thing. You also made a good decision to do several post-baccs - this will probably raise your GPA considerably. Just remember that, in AMCAS, your undergrad GPA and your postbacc GPA get lumped together to give your cumulative GPA. Your MCAT is good, and as long as you have good extracurricular activities, have a good personal statement, and apply broadly and early, you should get in somewhere. I would recommend applying to mostly mid- and lower- tier schools with a few reaches in there. Apply to all of your state schools and out-of-state private schools who are more willing to accept out-of-state students.

i like to believe that medical schools will take into account the fact that your 2.3 was over a decade ago and owuld suggest applying to quite a few high-tier schools too. if i may ask, did you "mess up" for any particular reason?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually,
The reason I had such a low GPA 10 years ago was that I was very poor at the time and even with financial aid, I could not afford paying for my education. For many classes, I could not afford buying books. I ended up spending 90% of my time and energy working and only 10% studying. That was coupled with constant depression. The end result was very poor academic performance.

Thanks

How carefully have you thought about your desire to become a Physician? I'm very reluctant to recommend that anyone start Medical School at age 37. It's not that your 'old' per se, but it is a very long and tiring process. Fortunately, you do have an outside set of skills in case you decide along the way that Medicine is not the best choice.

You can get into Medical School, but you should ask yourself if you really want to go through the process at this stage in life. It's not my place to tell anyone not to pursue what they think is their dream, but starting Med School in your late 30s is not a good situation to be in (esp if you rake up massive debt while in school).

AbcAbc1,
Thank you for your feedback.
I thought about it very carefully.
Money/debt won't be an issue, hopefully. I will utilize savings.
I want to become a doctor out of a deep desire to so.

Thanks

Surely there must be SOME time limit on courses taken, right??? I mean...10 years ago is an awfully long time.

Mikesmith, I would figure your chances at better than most, given your recent high GPAs.