Hello - Introductions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MicheleVet

DVM c/o 2005
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start out the new board.

I'm a 2005 UF grad who is in a small animal rotating internship at UF. Future goals include a surgical residency, however that's at least 4 years away.

I'm moving to Louisiana after the internship for a second culture shock (moving from South Florida to North Florida was the first).

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I guess I will be the second to respond on the board, I am a first year student at Mississippi State. So, far I am surviving and it is close to summer break (which is really needed).

I hope to practice in small animal and if I can keep up my grades I am thinking about an internship and residency in either surgery or internal medicine

MicheleVet said:
Just thought I'd start out the new board.

I'm a 2005 UF grad who is in a small animal rotating internship at UF. Future goals include a surgical residency, however that's at least 4 years away.

I'm moving to Louisiana after the internship for a second culture shock (moving from South Florida to North Florida was the first).

Michele, why did you choose to stay at UF for your internship? We are encouraged to go elsewhere for our internships, just to see another facility and get a different experience.

I am at U of IL, will graduate in 2008. I am not sure what direction I am heading... I am planning on doing a small animal+exotics internship. From there, we'll see about residency programs... I have a lot of interests, but some are less practical than others. :) I do enjoy exotics/wildlife, so a lot of my vet school experience is centering on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im so excited about this new board!! (and getting into vet school so I can legitimately be a part of it ;))

Introductions...
I'm 21 and am graduating from my undergrad school, Midway College, 5 weeks from today :) with a BS in Equine Science. I will be attending the University of Pennsylvania in the fall as part of the class of 2010. My ultimate career goals lie in equine surgery, but that may very well change.

And thats all I can really think of right now because my brain (and the rest of me) is frozen from working outside all morning. I thought it was supposed to be springtime...

My husband is in medical school...I was a year ahead...so I worked it to stay with him. He luckily got his internship at the same place as residency so we only have to move once coming up.

I would have liked to go somewhere else. I wholeheartedly agree it's a great idea to see other schools/thoughts/clinical practices.

Though I did get some great small animal surgery experiences I might not have gotten at another place. ;)

Hello everyone. My name is Christine. I am a third (will be 4th in 4 weeks..woohoo) year student at Western University. I absolutely love working with primates so will probably do an internship/residency when I graduate.

Hello everyone, I have been lurking awhile at the pre vet forum. I was accepted, out of state, to Kansas State in January. I don't see alot of K-Staters on these forums. Anyway, I am extremely excited to begin vet school in August and would appreciate any info on K-State!!

Hi, I'm a second year vet student from Finland and the University of Helsinki. I'm planning to go abroad for a year after my third year, at the moment University of Tennessee seems to be the only place that possibly might want to take me, so it'd be nice to hear things about it if there's someone here who studies there. :)

I'm mostly interested in small animal medicine but in our school we have to study all animals (excluding very exotic and wild animals that you can't really see much over here anyway), but we'll see what happens in the future.

Hello all!

I wasn't sure whether I should join this yet, but as I know I am going to vet school next year (even if I don't quite know where yet!) I figure I'm legit enough to say hi!

I'm a fourth year undergrad student majoring in Animal Sciences, Animal Biology at the University of Florida. I'm just about to graduate (finally!) and will be starting vet school in the fall, either at Oklahoma State University, Mississippi State University or the University of Florida! (I've been accepted to OK state and i'm on waitlists at Miss and UF). I really hope I end up at UF, but the main thing is I'm going to vet school next year!!

I'm interested in small-animal practice, and I would love to do a small animal surgery residency! But its early days yet, vet school may change my mind :)

Can't wait for august to roll around!

Oh, and although I have high hopes to remain at UF, I was still thinking about looking into housing in Oklahoma, if anyone knows anything about the situation in Stillwater let me know!

Please see next post :oops:

Hi Everyone. I am so excited about this new forum!
I am from Alaska/Washington State and I will be attending Cornell's Veterinary School this Fall. I don't know exactly what area of vet med I want to concentrate in yet, but I am considering equine sports medicine or small/animal exotics. Actually, I kind of want to do a little of everything :) .
Does anyone here attend Cornell or know much about the program there?

Hi Everyone

I graduated from Cornell University with a B.S. in animal sciences in december, and I will be heading to Tufts vet school in the fall...anyone on this board currently going there? I'm interested mostly in small animal medicine but i love wildlife and exotics and i plan to take full advantage of all that tufts has to offer in those areas :)

Wishes - have you taken a look at the about.com prevet forum? Joanne's diary is by a girl who went through cornell vet school, it's from a few years ago but still accurate as far as i know.

Hi Everyone
I am a first year at the University of Florida CVM. I am interested in small animal medicine..thinking about an internship maybe. I am glad they decided to have separate forums for pre-vet students and DVM students! Anyway if anyone has questions about UF let me know...our Open House is this Saturday (April 15th) from 10am-4pm if anyone is in the area and interested. Oh Michele I dont know if you remember me but I chatted with you last summer about places to live in Gainesville for last fall. I found a roommate who just bought a condo and she is in law school. If you have any questions about Louisiana or anything let me know...I lived in New Orleans for six years.
ttyl!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cynthia81 - I remember. We're actually headed to Shreveport....I know it's like the other end of LA...

Hi all,

I've been away or I would have posted sooner. I'm a 5th year (final year) American student at the University of Glasgow in Scotland (UK). I graduate on July 1st, but start my small animal internship at a private practice in Sacramento, California on June 26th. I'm pretty excited and am very happy to be graduating soon. I passed both my CA and NAVLE board exams, so I only have to worry about the final exams (oral/practical) now.

(Currently in Orkney, leaving tonight).

greetings...

i'm a first-year student at murdoch university. i originally wanted to do small animal practice, but now i'm leaning toward wildlife. my interests are as diverse as the field is, so who knows where i'll end up.

I'm a first year vet student at Oklahoma State Univeristy. If all goes well I'll graduate in 2009 ;) then I will go to school a little longer to get certified in animal behavior. I'm not your typical vet student as I want to go into training and behavior rather than medicine.

rdc said:
i'm a 2nd year vet student at colorado state, and I'm the king of the world.

Congrats, your highness. :D

Hello all,

I'm originally from Manchester in Britain, and am a graduate of the Royal Veterinary College in London. I've just finished an equine surgical residency (this year) and will be doing my ACVS and ECVS board exams within the next year. I've been involved with show jumpers all my life, and am primarily interested in orthopedic surgery - however i enjoy soft tissue sx too. I'm not exactly sure where i will start practicing, however i have a number of options, several of them at American (and one Canadian) universities. Its hard to choose!

Anyways, just thought i'd say hello!

EquiDoc, where did you do your residency?

I've been to the RVC for 2 weeks of equine EMS. It was a great experience! :)

Hi, I'm a first year at Ohio State's veterinary school. Not exactly sure what I'll do after I graduate, probably a small-animal internship and residency (IM, Surgery, etc...) but who knows. Nice to meet you all!
Andrew

hello everyone.
I am a second year (third semester as we call 'em) down here at Ross University on St. Kitts. I have most experience in small animal emergency and food animal production medicine. Id like to pursue both routes somehow. Im excited to be able to go to the states for my fourth year rotations. I dont know what school I want to go to yet. Im from Madison, WI so Im thinking maybe just going back home and attending the UW, but Id like to see what else is out there. Anyone know of good schools for emergency and critical care??

frenchiesncows said:
Anyone know of good schools for emergency and critical care??
University of Pennsylvania is a great place for SA emergency and critical care. Their hospital is really busy being right in downtown philadelphia.

Hey everybody! I'm starting my first year at Auburn University CVM on August 14th! I'm extremely excited about it, except for the fact that my husband just got a really good engineering job up here in Huntsville and they will be paying for him to stay here and work on his MS at UAH. :(
I just graduated from UAH with a BS in Biological Sciences, and at this second I am most interested in wildlife medicine and oncology.

vlaminck said:
Hello everyone, I have been lurking awhile at the pre vet forum. I was accepted, out of state, to Kansas State in January. I don't see alot of K-Staters on these forums. Anyway, I am extremely excited to begin vet school in August and would appreciate any info on K-State!!
I got acceptance from Kansas as for aceademic review program , I am also looking for Kansas vet. students as I am gona jion in Aug 2006.

There housing details are looking bit diferent do you have any idea?

As I just want to stay for one semester.
shani

Hi, I'm a first year (US) student at University of Sydney Vet Sci program.

:cool:

Shaun

shani said:
I got acceptance from Kansas as for aceademic review program , I am also looking for Kansas vet. students as I am gona jion in Aug 2006.

There housing details are looking bit diferent do you have any idea?

As I just want to stay for one semester.
shani

What?

wishes said:
University of Pennsylvania is a great place for SA emergency and critical care. Their hospital is really busy being right in downtown philadelphia.
Hi everyone!
I'm an Italian veterinarian but I live in NJ. I' ve arrived in the US last year in November and I still don't have my license.I wish to take the NAVLE in November and then the CPE.......one day!!
I'm interested in small animal IM and... everything else about animals!
As a foreign vet I have a lot of questions for you, are you ready?
Nice to meet you all!
Francesca

University of Missouri is the best place for Emergency and critical care.

wishes said:

Hi everybody I'm Hido from Turkey Ankara university veterinary faculty 4 th class student next year I will graduate.I have most experience in small animal surgery canine and feline :)

Hello future colleagues!! I just graduated from Boston University School of Medicine with my M.A in Anatomy and Neurobiology. I will be attending Tufts University - CSVM this fall. So excited!! Congratulations to other members of the class of 2010 and best of luck to all current students! What an amazing profession. :D

Azawakh said:
Hello future colleagues!! I just graduated from Boston University School of Medicine with my M.A in Anatomy and Neurobiology. I will be attending Tufts University - CSVM this fall. So excited!! Congratulations to other members of the class of 2010 and best of luck to all current students! What an amazing profession. :D

Hi there! You and I will be classmates this fall! I just graduated with my B.S. and will be trekking up to the Great White North (haha) from Virginia. I'm with you -- SO excited! :D

eaglemeag said:
Hi there! You and I will be classmates this fall! I just graduated with my B.S. and will be trekking up to the Great White North (haha) from Virginia. I'm with you -- SO excited! :D

Congrats Eaglemeag!

I look forward to meeting you at orientation on August 28 I believe.

Enjoy what remains of your summer! Good times ahead ;)

Hi all! I just got accepted to the University of Minnesota CVM. I'm from MN, and have lived here my whole life, so I'm pretty happy I got into my state school. I graduated from St. Olaf College in May. Right now, my main interests are exotics (especially rabbits) and wildlife (field work, not rehab), but I'm also interested in learning more about behavior and holistic medicine.

Hope everyone's enjoying the summer!

hello everyone. my name is ake and i'm currently studying in the last year of DVM programe in Bangkok, Thailand. i personally interest in small animal medicine as well as dermatology and ophthalmology. i'm going to graduate next year and have a plan primarily to work abroad. but maybe if it's too hard to do that, i might be studying furthermore oversea instead.

hope to get knowing you guys here.

cheers!