Honestly, is this too many LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4pf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My pre-med advising office puts together a letter packet that is distributed to all the medical schools you apply to. I have letters from 2 science professors, 1 non-science, 2 PIs, and 1 physician.

I'm under the impression that the research heavy schools would like to see the LORs from my PIs, and my state school "strongly recommends" a physician letter.

My worry is that schools such as Vanderbilt have a 5 letter limit according to MSAR, would one of my letters not be read? Would I be able to somehow indicate which one should not be read?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school also write a committee letter based on the letters you submit? Most schools write a compilation letter and submit that with the actual letters attached . Schools prefer committee letters so you should be just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your school also write a committee letter based on the letters you submit? Most schools write a compilation letter and submit that with the actual letters attached . Schools prefer committee letters so you should be just fine.
They attach a cover letter giving some context about my school and legitimizing all enclosed letters, but no formal committee letter

I had 2 science prof, 1 non-science prof, 2 physician and 1 PI. A lot of schools only allow up to 3 letters so you get to choose which you want to submit for each school on AMCAS.