How does the AMCAS re-take calculations work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notEinstein

Reaction score
I earned an F in Algebra 10+ years ago. This obviously drags my sGPA down. By literally half a point. I understand that re-takes average out. So an F + A would = C. This would bump my sGPA from 3.1 to 3.5. Big difference.

Perhaps a stupid question: Does the re-take have to happen at the same University? Or can I retake it at my current university and AMCAS will still know to average it? I ask because the titles at each institution are different. My F class was "Intermediate Algebra" (4 credits). My new University only has "Linear Algebra" (3 credits) and "Abstract Algebra" (3 credits). So how do they know to average it? Or would they not?

Members don't see this ad.

Every course, regardless of the topic or the location where it is taken is factored into the total GPA.

There is also a grid that divides first two years from all additional years up through awarding of one's first degree (usually bachelors but it could be something else).

Then there are lines for post-bac and graduate level gpa.

The columns on the grid give total GPA, BCPM (science) GPA and AO (all other) GPA.

All this is laid out in the AMCAS application.

Every course, regardless of the topic or the location where it is taken is factored into the total GPA.

There is also a grid that divides first two years from all additional years up through awarding of one's first degree (usually bachelors but it could be something else).

Then there are lines for post-bac and graduate level gpa.

The columns on the grid give total GPA, BCPM (science) GPA and AO (all other) GPA.

All this is laid out in the AMCAS application.

Thank you for answering Lizzy. I read old posts on this forum where folks said when AMCAS averages your GPA, they split the difference on re-takes.

Example: F + A (retake) = C (for GPA purposes).

Is this incorrect?

Here is an example: AMCAS and retakes).

How is "first two years" determined? Do they put all 100/200 classes into the first two years? Or is it actual time-years? How would this be done for someone who did two four years of part time, then came back to university 15 years later?

Members don't see this ad :)
all your courses are included in the GPA. So in essence a A in any course and a F in any other course are equal to a C in both courses if both courses carried the same number of credits. It wouldn't matter that the two were both Physics II or whatever.

If someone did not do the traditional full-time enrollment for 3 or 4 years at the time of the application, AMCAS will look at the first 30 credits (give or take) as year 1, the next 30 as year 2, the next 30 as year 3 and all the rest, until a degree is awarded, as year 4.

Reactions: 1 user
all your courses are included in the GPA. So in essence a A in any course and a F in any other course are equal to a C in both courses if both courses carried the same number of credits. It wouldn't matter that the two were both Physics II or whatever.

Thank you very much for explaining this. Previous threads were a bit unclear.

If someone did not do the traditional full-time enrollment for 3 or 4 years at the time of the application, AMCAS will look at the first 30 credits (give or take) as year 1, the next 30 as year 2, the next 30 as year 3 and all the rest, until a degree is awarded, as year 4.

Thank you again. Very helpful.

In that case, I will have a 2.77 GPA in the first two years, and a 3.9 GPA in the last 2 years.

Hopefully schools pay attention more to the last two years :)

Thank you very much for explaining this. Previous threads were a bit unclear.

Thank you again. Very helpful.

In that case, I will have a 2.77 GPA in the first two years, and a 3.9 GPA in the last 2 years.

Hopefully schools pay attention more to the last two years :)
the GPA breakdown and your date of birth will tell a good portion of the story and pique a reader's curiosity.