How late can I submit an additional LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tameimpaler

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting letters ready, and so far I've had both my science prof LORs submitted on Interfolio (was most worried about getting these but it was surprisingly easy once I asked). My research PI has also agreed to write one. I was considering asking my work supervisor as well, since I've accumulated a lot of hours at my work study job and I'm on very good terms with him. However, something I'm concerned about is a letter from a non-science professor; he teaches non-science but healthcare-related courses and is known to be a great letter writer for pre-meds. I've had this professor for two classes, and he has given positive feedback on my past work and PS draft. He has agreed to write a letter for me, but he is quite busy with letters this year and won't be able to submit mine until September. In the meantime, I'm looking for another writer in case this does not work out. However, I do really believe a letter from this professor would be quite strong and would still like to have it considered as part of my application.

When is the latest LORs can be submitted? I'm planning to submit as soon as the app opens, so if a letter is received months later, is it still considered?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of getting letters ready, and so far I've had both my science prof LORs submitted on Interfolio (was most worried about getting these but it was surprisingly easy once I asked). My research PI has also agreed to write one. I was considering asking my work supervisor as well, since I've accumulated a lot of hours at my work study job and I'm on very good terms with him. However, something I'm concerned about is a letter from a non-science professor; he teaches non-science but healthcare-related courses and is known to be a great letter writer for pre-meds. I've had this professor for two classes, and he has given positive feedback on my past work and PS draft. He has agreed to write a letter for me, but he is quite busy with letters this year and won't be able to submit mine until September. In the meantime, I'm looking for another writer in case this does not work out. However, I do really believe a letter from this professor would be quite strong and would still like to have it considered as part of my application.

When is the latest LORs can be submitted? I'm planning to submit as soon as the app opens, so if a letter is received months later, is it still considered?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have until the secondary deadline for the school to submit LORs. It will still be considered if submitted before then, but I think it would delay the processing of your secondary application (won't be complete until they get all the required letters).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have until the secondary deadline for the school to submit LORs. It will still be considered if submitted before then, but I think it would delay the processing of your secondary application (won't be complete until they get all the required letters).
Oh I didn't know that.. I hear people receive secondaries as early as July, so I'm guessing holding off until September wouldn't be ideal. I'll look for other LOR sources then. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I didn't know that.. I hear people receive secondaries as early as July, so I'm guessing holding off until September wouldn't be ideal. I'll look for other LOR sources then. Thanks!
Let me confirm with an expert before hand tho

@Mr.Smile12 thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user

There's not a uniform answer to the question. It's dependent on the school's own process. First, let's start with committee/institutional letter packets.

Most committee letters don't get sent until later in the summer, and this forum lights up with many applicants concerned their committee letters were ready in September or October.

Try to get your letters in when you can. Many committees won't extend interviews until the file is complete including letters. Others will invite candidates to interview without letters but won't extend offers until letters come in (so you could get waitlisted/ghosted until then). Programs generally understand that institutional letters often come "later" so they have adjusted to accommodate those applicants with institutional letters.

Reactions: 1 users