Imposter Syndrome Sucks... WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diaboliquedillpickle

Reaction score
At the point where I just need some reassurance...

MCAT: 512: 128/130/127/127 (Was sick during the MCAT. Should've voided it. Ended up in hospital for 4 days post exam.)
PREview: 5
Casper: 4th Quartile

GPA: sGPA:3.94 cGPA:3.95 Engineering major with >50 credits from high school

Ohio Resident with strong ties to Indiana, Michigan, and Virginia
ORM but coming from rural/underserved area. Passion for rural medicine

Clinical Experience: 100+ volunteer PCT Med/surg. 1200 paid PCT OR/Ortho/CV. 300 volunteer EMS
Research Experience: 600 in engineering (leading proprietary research in one field with international impacts.) 400 in academic projects
Shadowing: 60 hours virtual due to limitations in my area from COVID. Worked closely with physicians during paid clinical experience though.
Non-clinical Volunteering: 1500+ across athletics, youth development, and community events
NCAA Athlete with multiple conference and national academic recognitions
President of several engineering honor societies, no involvement with university premed clubs
Lifelong violinist and concertmaster of several orchestras. Several international performances since high school.
Personal challenge of having open heart surgery during college due to an athletic injury.

No gap years. Just a passion for caffeine.

Verified Application in early June. All secondaries submitted.

School List:
Albany Medical College
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Drexel
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
George Washington University
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
NEOMED
New York Medical College
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Penn State
Quinnipiac University
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
The University of Toledo College of Medicine
UNC Chapel Hill School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Michigan
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Utah School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Weil Cornell Medicine
Western Michigan University
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

No Tufts Maine track? Very heavy rural focus there you'd fit into well

University of Utah favors IS, but if you applied to the RUUTE Scholars program that may help?

I think you have a great application and experiences. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Read

What activities underscore your passion for rural health? It's not obvious as much as your engineering, musical, and athletic accomplishments. Please break down your 1500? hours of nonclinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
What activities underscore your passion for rural health? It's not obvious as much as your engineering, musical, and athletic accomplishments. Please break down your 1500? hours of nonclinical volunteering.

All 1500 hours have been done within a rural community with underserved students. Developed initiatives to pull middle and high school students out of poverty with a guaranteed job and fully funded post secondary education. Addressed barriers keeping them out of school. Taught students skills to succeed in school and professionally and functioned as a mentor for many students whose parents were unable to care for them. Hosted events on weekends so that students had a safe place to learn and three guaranteed meals each day. My programs have helped over 800 students have a successful life without turning to drugs or crime that was common with the demographic I worked with.

I fought with diversity grants because my students “didn’t qualify” as underserved even though 97% were below the poverty line. The average household income where I live is just over $33k. One of my students had never eaten in a restaurant. One was living out of a nearly totaled RV because they had no other option. Homeless shelters practically don’t exist out here. Food banks rarely have enough food. Public transportation is a foreign concept.

Yes, 1500 seems like a ton of hours in one project. But that includes time with the students, planning events, ensuring we have supplies, meeting with local business and the CC to set up partnerships, fundraising, and a lot more administrative duties. And that’s only since I began college. I started with middle school students in high school.

All of my clinical experience has been with rural patients. Friday nights in a rural ER 150+ miles from any Level 1 gets you a ton of hands on experience quickly. I had quite a few days that I was pulling a full day of college classes, working night shifts, going back to classes and finally taking a nap before going to practice. Spent a week with the flight team learning about the protocols and how they managed transporting critical patients long distances.

I’ve cared for patients who received care too late. If they had access to health care, maybe they’d still be alive today. The young patient with a headache for years but couldn’t afford transportation to any neurologist. The hip patient who now only has half a pelvis due to infection. The fact that currently, the soonest PCP opening with an APP is in March in my community. It’s an 11 month wait to see a physician.

My passion for rural medicine is the fact that my family pulled ourselves out of hard circumstances. I almost lost my brother due to our barriers to healthcare in rural communities. I’m going to stay in a rural community as a physician. I can’t see myself anywhere else.

Reactions: 2 users