Income while in professional school!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andichad4JC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all you money minded people,

I thought it interesting to see what every/anyone is doing for extra $ while studying gross. Although the thought of working while in school is universaly accepted as impossible and stupid, I am finding more and more students that have found a way of earning an income, investing, saving, etc to be less dependent on a humble $45K/year salary in a big city.

My wife and I just hired onto a company and have been making $1400-$10K/month while I study. I am a W2 employee and schedule my time (usually less than a few hours a month). Plus, I can take my job with me to the carribean. (If anyone is interested in our job email me at [email protected]). With our income we have purchased three houses (fourth pending) and cars (porsche, mercedes-benz, dodge truck). I just want financial security equal to that of an attending while a med student!

If anyone else has an idea share it...

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be starting my first-year at TUCSVM in the a few weeks (yippy!!) and I got a job working in the clinical pathology laboratory which services the small and large animal hospitals (run CBC's, blood chem profiles, fluid analysis, urinalysis). There are generally two students from each year who work in the lab and we each work 4 hours a week in addition to being on-call once a month. When on-call you make $50 for each sample processed so it's pretty cool.

I would imagine you might be able to find a similiarly accomodating position at your veterinary school? Hopefully ;)

Azawakh said:
I'll be starting my first-year at TUCSVM in the a few weeks (yippy!!) and I got a job working in the clinical pathology laboratory which services the small and large animal hospitals (run CBC's, blood chem profiles, fluid analysis, urinalysis). There are generally two students from each year who works in the lab and we each work 4 hours a week in addition to being on-call once a month. When on-call you make $50 for each sample processed so it's pretty cool.

I would imagine you might be able to find a similiarly accomodating position at your veterinary school? Hopefully ;)

I'm hoping to get a job at the Wildlife Clinic, but it hasn't completely come for me yet. Do you know if they've already filled the other first-year position at the lab?

eaglemeag said:
I'm hoping to get a job at the Wildlife Clinic, but it hasn't completely come for me yet. Do you know if they've already filled the other first-year position at the lab?

Generally I wouldn't recommend working while in veterinary school despite the financial constraints because we're so busy. However this particular position is really tailored to a veterinary student (i.e 4 hrs/wk, 1 wknd on-call/month).
There are already two students from V'10 in the clinical path lab but I am pretty sure they are looking for a 3rd so you might be in luck!!!