Industry Manufacturing for Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Damilan

Reaction score
Just got a tentative offer at ThermoFisher to work in their manufacturing department. This seems like a job I would enjoy and there is a lot of space for upward mobility in the industry space. However, my undergrad years were 90% research oriented already and I have few clinical experiences/shadowing hours. I think I would much rather enjoy this job than something like scribing but I worry that my application would have a hole in non-science LORs or clinical exp (hoping to apply next cycle). Has anyone tried applying out of an industry position? Are there good ways to rack up clinical hours on the side during a full time job? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
While you can certainly apply from an industry position, and you can do clinical work or volunteering during evenings and weekends, your statement that you think you would enjoy industry more than scribing begs the question: why do you want to go to medical school?

Reactions: 3 users
While you can certainly apply from an industry position, and you can do clinical work or volunteering during evenings and weekends, your statement that you think you would enjoy industry more than scribing begs the question: why do you want to go to medical school?
Mostly because the industry job pays more and it's in a better location. I want to get the clinical experience but I'm just having a hard time justifying turning down a position with better benefits and a potential different career path if something doesn't work out in my MD path. If I scribed I would enjoy connecting with physicians and patients, but only after months of training, and I would be even more screwed if something doesn't work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly because the industry job pays more and it's in a better location. I want to get the clinical experience but I'm just having a hard time justifying turning down a position with better benefits and a potential different career path if something doesn't work out in my MD path. If I scribed I would enjoy connecting with physicians and patients, but only after months of training, and I would be even more screwed if something doesn't work out.
It is up to you but it would show that you are a better fit for PhD programs if essentially all your time before and now would be going to research.

I think you are not ready to commit to medicine; take the time to explore your options and be sure what you want.

Just got a tentative offer at ThermoFisher to work in their manufacturing department. This seems like a job I would enjoy and there is a lot of space for upward mobility in the industry space. However, my undergrad years were 90% research oriented already and I have few clinical experiences/shadowing hours. I think I would much rather enjoy this job than something like scribing but I worry that my application would have a hole in non-science LORs or clinical exp (hoping to apply next cycle). Has anyone tried applying out of an industry position? Are there good ways to rack up clinical hours on the side during a full time job? Thanks.
I am working a biotech role right now (6 month temp role so perhaps not quite the same) but I work a clinical job per diem on weekends and do a few hours of volunteering each week. However, if quantity rather than continuity is what you're looking for, it might be challenging if you're working full time. The majority of my clinical and volunteering was obtained before I was in this role.

I've accumulated hundreds of hours of clinical and non-clinical volunteering outside my day job in engineering, but it comes at a heavy price. I've been grinding 80+ hours/wk since 2020 with no end in sight if I get in this cycle.

• Care