Is my "why us" response too shallow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highspeed983

Reaction score
Penn State has a 75-word limit for their "why us" essay. The main reason I want to attend medical school at Penn State is that I want to stay within central Pennsylvania as a physician. With 75 words, I really do not have enough space to discuss my other reasons. Should I answer the prompt truthfully?

Members don't see this ad.

Penn State has a 75-word limit for their "why us" essay. The main reason I want to attend medical school at Penn State is that I want to stay within central Pennsylvania as a physician. With 75 words, I really do not have enough space to discuss my other reasons. Should I answer the prompt truthfully?
It is a good rule of thumb to answer truthfully. Saying you’d like to study in and serve the central Pennsylvania region is not shallow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Sounds like a good reason to me

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to answer the prompt in 75 words or less. I presume you will be truthful, but yes, pretty much be honest with your most important reason, especially if it aligns with the program's mission. Just don't copy their mission verbatim if you can help it.

Reactions: 1 user
Your main reason is solid and succinct. 25 words to be exact. You have rooms for 1 or two more if you can be as succinct. Youi could even write something like "I have 3 main reasons: 1. I want to practice within central Pennsylvania as a physician." 2) ~25 words 3) ~25 words.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users