Jefferson (SKMC) vs UCF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrToasterStrudel

Reaction score
Hi all, curious on everyone's thoughts about choosing UCF over Jefferson (a much more established school). I am really leaning towards UCF due to cost and just a desire to move to FL (I'm from New England and want to escape the snow lol). My main drawback is the lack of a home program at UCF but I don't know if this is made up for with the $100k+ cost difference. I do see myself likely pursuing something fairly competitive, but UCF seems to have matched well so far.

Jeff
Pros
  • P/F curriculum
  • Environment seemed great - students really seemed to enjoy their lives
  • More established school w/ a large home program
  • Great community outreach
  • Can drive to see fam
Cons
  • Class ranked into thirds
  • Expensive (tuition and COL - and they give me like $2k a month to live on???)
  • I like the area but think it would also come w/ a bit extra added stress (dogs, parking, groceries, etc.)
  • I think some clinical rotations are also a long commute (albeit less than UCF)
  • Campus is meh

UCF
Pros
  • $100k less for tuition overall - and my COL would likely be a bit lower here I may have a friend to live w/
  • Solid match list
  • I really want to move to FL
    • My dogs (and myself) would be happier
  • Research integrated into curriculum
  • Seems to be a positive and supportive environment (but I was not able to visit in person)
  • Campus looks nice and new
Cons
  • Lost larger affiliated hospitals - rotations all over FL w/ HCAs
  • Letter grades (not as worried about this TBH, if anything think it would be a good way to stand out)
  • Have to fly to see family
  • Less established school (but seem to be fairing well so far)

Members don't see this ad.