Latest I can take MCAT with 0 Repercussions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedExplorer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm aiming to apply this cycle, I just want to know the latest I can take the MCAT with 0 repercussions for t20 schools and then all schools.

I would submit my app 05/28 or whenever that first date is this year with everything else completed to 1 school and then add other schools later, but just want to know the latest date I can take the mcat with 0 penalty or delay to my app for review.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did you know that there was a time when the MCAT was offered just twice a year: April and August. It would seem to me that the April date is the latest one can take the exam and apply in the same calendar year without running the risk of being "late" or falling behind.

Also consider that preparing the primary and secondary while preparing to take the MCAT is a division of your attention that is not optimal.

Reactions: 4 users
May 18th is the latest. If you apply to a throwaway on June 1st, you'll get verified and your MCAT score will be available by the time AMCAS transmits applications to schools. This results in no negative impact on your chances. Any later and it's trouble.
Did you know that there was a time when the MCAT was offered just twice a year: April and August. It would seem to me that the April date is the latest one can take the exam and apply in the same calendar year without running the risk of being "late" or falling behind.

Also consider that preparing the primary and secondary while preparing to take the MCAT is a division of your attention that is not optimal.

Appreciate it thank you @Mr. Macrophage . Could other people confirm May 18th? I talked to some Kaplan person and they said sometime in June but I'm not sure.

@LizzyM my dad died, so its not like I was sitting here twiddling my thumbs procrastinating taking the exam - I was studying hard and scoring 518-520 FLs in Jan for a March exam and got pretty broken by it and with a lot of life happening in between with money and the funeral and other side stuff.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
June may be the absolute latest, but we have also witnessed snafus in administering the MCAT though not as many compared to 10 years ago.

Safer date is mid-May so you have all your data before applying except perhaps for the Casper or Preview exam. You need to plan to take those exams before mid-June to be complete at the schools that want them.

TL/DR: Yeah, I can agree with Mid-May.

June may be the absolute latest, but we have also witnessed snafus in administering the MCAT though not as many compared to 10 years ago.

Safer date is mid-May so you have all your data before applying except perhaps for the Casper or Preview exam. You need to plan to take those exams before mid-June to be complete at the schools that want them.

TL/DR: Yeah, I can agree with Mid-May.

Appreciate the response. I took preview already and will sign up for Casper, what does the penalty look like for a June take? If I do the strat where I apply to a throwaway on May 28 and add schools later.

Thanks. Just an unlucky set of events and I have to evaluate options since I definitely want the best score I can get going in

Appreciate the response. I took preview already and will sign up for Casper, what does the penalty look like for a June take? If I do the strat where I apply to a throwaway on May 28 and add schools later.

Thanks. Just an unlucky set of events and I have to evaluate options since I definitely want the best score I can get going in
Is your preview score 7+? Obviously I wouldn't retake it unless absolutely necessary. Casper is an annual test, but fewer schools take it (as of the date of this reply).

It's not that you get a penalty. In reality it just takes a little time to get the scores into the AMCAS app, but application review likely starts with screening at the end of June.

Read

Is your preview score 7+? Obviously I wouldn't retake it unless absolutely necessary. Casper is an annual test, but fewer schools take it (as of the date of this reply).

It's not that you get a penalty. In reality it just takes a little time to get the scores into the AMCAS app, but application review likely starts with screening at the end of June.

Read
Hey yes my preview score is an 8, on my list of schools I only need it for UCLA. I don't plan on a retake for it.

And sorry if my terminology came off wrong, by penalty I meant the app being processed and your chances of admission being lower. Say I take the mcat early to mid June but submitted my primary the first day it opened (so like 05/28 or whenever that is) to 1 school and then added all other schools later. Would my chances at admission for t25 and then for all med schools be affected? If so, what does the damage look like? Minor or severe?

Because I know if I take the mcat in early to mid June, I can go back to what I was clocking on early FLs at 520+.

Thanks.

@LizzyM my dad died, so its not like I was sitting here twiddling my thumbs procrastinating taking the exam - I was studying hard and scoring 518-520 FLs in Jan for a March exam and got pretty broken by it and with a lot of life happening in between with money and the funeral and other side stuff.
My condolences on the loss of your dad. I did not mean to insinuate that you weren't working hard, just observing that May/June is when you should be writing the AMCAS activity descriptions and and filling out the forms for submission on the earliest possible date (but not later than July 4). Transcripts should be requested as soon as grades are posted (I realize that can be mid-June at some schools.)

I still feel that April is optimal but if you are going to go with Mid-May it won't be the end of the world.

My condolences on the loss of your dad. I did not mean to insinuate that you weren't working hard, just observing that May/June is when you should be writing the AMCAS activity descriptions and and filling out the forms for submission on the earliest possible date (but not later than July 4). Transcripts should be requested as soon as grades are posted (I realize that can be mid-June at some schools.)

I still feel that April is optimal but if you are going to go with Mid-May it won't be the end of the world.

I gotcha its totally cool. I'm treating this like a doomsday scenario - is Mid-May really the latest to take it without penalties from an adcom perspective? I only mean penalties in terms of admission/how the adcom reviews my app and which wave my app ends up in. No need to worry about primary/secondaries, I can deal with that headache separately.

I just want to know the latest date I can take the mcat and be in that first wave or so of apps assuming I submit my primary on the first day it opens with all transcripts and LORs etc.

My general rule has been that you should have AMCAS submitted by July 4, application complete and verified with all LORs submited by Labor Day (first Monday in September). By that time, many schools have often made some interview invites so there are fewer available by the time your application is scored but schools make allowances for that.

To be in the first wave, you need to have your MCAT scores - and everything else in the primary application - available the first day of data dump from AAMC to the med schools (not sure exactly when that is -- late June, I think). Figure out when the scores are reported based on the date the exam is taken and work backward.

I gotcha its totally cool. I'm treating this like a doomsday scenario - is Mid-May really the latest to take it without penalties from an adcom perspective? I only mean penalties in terms of admission/how the adcom reviews my app and which wave my app ends up in. No need to worry about primary/secondaries, I can deal with that headache separately.

I just want to know the latest date I can take the mcat and be in that first wave or so of apps assuming I submit my primary on the first day it opens with all transcripts and LORs etc.
Again, it totally depends on the process to get your application to any admissions committee.

Here are the relevant dates.

May 2, 2023: AMCAS Application opens
May 30, 2023: Primary Application Submission begins
June 30, 2023: Data Transmission to medical schools

So even June 3 might be fine. You're also probably okay with the mid-June dates depending on how fast the triage goes.

For everyone else, I was looking at Mercer and they have a deadline for PREview if you do ED or EA*: Application Deadlines | Doctor of Medicine . You may want to check your school websites for guidance. Look at how Mercer explicitly lists important dates for applicants.

*Back to OP: if programs also have these Early tracks, they will obviously be placed ahead of any regular decision application... and that affects your urgency too. Not all schools run Early Action or Assurance even if it is listed on their website.

Last edited:
I appreciate it a ton @Mr.Smile12 @LizzyM . The past couple months have been bleak and now that I'm feeling way better I know I can kill it with an early or mid June date.

According to AAMC, a test date of June 3 would have a score release on July 6. And a test date of June 16 would have a score release on July 18.

How would I fair in those either of those scenarios? The first wave is June 30, so I would be late for that right? How is it applying with the second wave?

For reference, I don't plan on applying ED/EA anywhere, I'm shooting for t25 and my app (other than the missing mcat) is at that level based on WAMC etc. Also for reference, I got my primary done and LORs fully collected + transcript ready, so I know I can have that fully ready by the May 30 date.

It's just my mcat that would be missing at this point.

Again I deeply appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I explained that schools need time to get the pre-screening and triage going previously. Relax.

Sorry if I seem frantic lol. Could you explain pre-screening and what triage is, or is there a link to learn the exact timeline? I'm not too familiar.

Appreciate you helping this late in the day

Sorry if I seem frantic lol. Could you explain pre-screening and what triage is, or is there a link to learn the exact timeline? I'm not too familiar.

Appreciate you helping this late in the day
For the most effective response, I need a whiteboard. ;)

Simply if you read the article, schools need to test the IT to be sure they get your application and that the data stream doesn't mix all that data up. (NO ONE gets paper copies or huge PDF files anymore, so it is wrong that the printed AMCAS application you see is necessarily how your file is viewed.) Once they know they are getting your application data properly formatted, the office checks to see if all of your required elements are in: submitted secondary application, letters of recommendation (if required at this step, might be required later since most know that committee letters come later), Casper/PREview/SJT scores, and MCAT scores. If you don't have any of these items, your file goes to the Hold bin. They won't escape the hold bin until the missing items are received. (So many files on hold because people don't update us with an MCAT score when they say they would... but that's another conversation that is way too granular unless you want to be an admissions staff professional and not a doctor or adcom voting member.)

Those that pass the pre-screening bin are "bundled" for screening triage where your AMCAS, secondary, scores, and possibly letters are initially reviewed. The goal is to identify files that are automatically denied for not meeting expectations or clearly showing mission fit; these are marked for denial and may be acted upon later.

The files that pass through this triage are sent up for faculty pre-screen which will place the remaining files on the staircase, identifying applicants that are most desirable for the interview stage. (This is where LOR's may be required, and so if you don't have your LOR's in, you are placed on hold here. For some schools LOR's are not required unless there are concerns about your application. This allows for faster "stairstepping" [using the Staircase analogy here] of truly desirable applicants that fit the program's mission. LOR's are usually required to get an offer or waitlist decision.)

Note I am simplifying to convey concepts. The minutia are highly program-specific and not publicly disclosed. They also tend to be revised after every cycle, and sometimes in the middle of a cycle if leadership changes abruptly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For the most effective response, I need a whiteboard. ;)

Simply if you read the article, schools need to test the IT to be sure they get your application and that the data stream doesn't mix all that data up. (NO ONE gets paper copies or huge PDF files anymore, so it is wrong that the printed AMCAS application you see is necessarily how your file is viewed.) Once they know they are getting your application data properly formatted, the office checks to see if all of your required elements are in: submitted secondary application, letters of recommendation (if required at this step, might be required later since most know that committee letters come later), Casper/PREview/SJT scores, and MCAT scores. If you don't have any of these items, your file goes to the Hold bin. They won't escape the hold bin until the missing items are received. (So many files on hold because people don't update us with an MCAT score when they say they would... but that's another conversation that is way too granular unless you want to be an admissions staff professional and not a doctor or adcom voting member.)

Those that pass the pre-screening bin are "bundled" for screening triage where your AMCAS, secondary, scores, and possibly letters are initially reviewed. The goal is to identify files that are automatically denied for not meeting expectations or clearly showing mission fit; these are marked for denial and may be acted upon later.

The files that pass through this triage are sent up for faculty pre-screen which will place the remaining files on the staircase, identifying applicants that are most desirable for the interview stage. (This is where LOR's may be required, and so if you don't have your LOR's in, you are placed on hold here. For some schools LOR's are not required unless there are concerns about your application. This allows for faster "stairstepping" [using the Staircase analogy here] of truly desirable applicants that fit the program's mission. LOR's are usually required to get an offer or waitlist decision.)

Note I am simplifying to convey concepts. The minutia are highly program-specific and not publicly disclosed. They also tend to be revised after every cycle, and sometimes in the middle of a cycle if leadership changes abruptly.

I see ok. So your previous comment about schools needing time to get the triage going in terms of when I take my MCAT is about how a mid-June test date would be a little late? Just so I understand correctly.

Thanks

I see ok. So your previous comment about schools needing time to get the triage going in terms of when I take my MCAT is about how a mid-June test date would be a little late? Just so I understand correctly.

Thanks
It depends on when each school gets into gear screening applications. They all won't start at the same time so it is impossible to give you a definite probability.

Reactions: 1 users

Read
@Mr.Smile12 I don't believe an applicant can retake the PREview to try to improve their score.
If you void your test because you didn't think it was going well, likewise.
The only way to be able to retake this test is if technical difficulties interfered with your test day.

@Mr.Smile12 I don't believe an applicant can retake the PREview to try to improve their score.
If you void your test because you didn't think it was going well, likewise.
The only way to be able to retake this test is if technical difficulties interfered with your test day.
You're right in terms of retaking within the application cycle. In this case, what I mean by "retake" is taking the test again if you have a PREview score from a past application cycle. Two schools have said, they can accept PREview scores for up to 3 years after administration.

Consequently, if one has a 7+ PREview score (90th percentile) from a previous cycle, one should not retake the test. If you have a Q4 on Casper last cycle, ...stinks to be you, you have to take Casper again. And yes, you only have 1 shot to take PREview each cycle.

(skeptical mode)
I sorta wish this would be the policy for all the standardized exams (MCAT, DAT, OAT, etc.), but those exams have a longstanding history as being a nice stream of income.

Appreciate it thank you @Mr. Macrophage . Could other people confirm May 18th? I talked to some Kaplan person and they said sometime in June but I'm not sure.

Mom died last march in middle of mcat studying pushed it out to July 18 with no problems around same scores as you. Aug18 primary submissions, secondaries Sept-Oct. Only pain was all the secondaries while school started in fall. get them done in advance might be #1 advice. Plenty of A's , II's and WL's in T25 here. More competitive of a candidate you are, less it matters is my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Mom died last march in middle of mcat studying pushed it out to July 18 with no problems around same scores as you. Aug18 primary submissions, secondaries Sept-Oct. Only pain was all the secondaries while school started in fall. get them done in advance might be #1 advice. Plenty of A's , II's and WL's in T25 here. More competitive of a candidate you are, less it matters is my opinion.

Hey could I dm you? I appreciate your response and would want to ask how you handled things logistically etc. I'm basically in that same position

Take the MCAT when you are ready. The timeline shouldn't matter. Don't waste a reapplicant year when you could have taken an actual productive gap year and gotten much more value.