MCAT Score and chances of admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmilyAngelillo

Reaction score
I currently have my MCAT scheduled for June 14th but my score is not competitive. Is it better to apply earlier in the cycle with a lower score or to push it another month and have time to achieve a higher one? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What is "not competitive?" Plenty of people only study for a month and get acceptable scores.

I currently have my MCAT scheduled for June 14th but my score is not competitive. Is it better to apply earlier in the cycle with a lower score or to push it another month and have time to achieve a higher one? Thank you!
If your goal is applying this cycle then having the MCAT on June 14 really should be your only choice. Waiting until July 13 would push the score to Aug. 13; July 26 to Aug. 27, etc. I think your options are either take the MCAT at the current date or hold off on applying to next year.

EDIT: Take back what I said earlier. If you're able to you can delay it if you do the "submit to a throwaway school" and also work on your secondaries simultaneously.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As the MCAT is a career deciding high-stakes exam, you should only take it when you are 100% ready. That means taking it even if you have to delay an app cycle. Medical schools aren't going anywhere

Reactions: 2 users
% accepted,  by MCAT score.jpg

Your likelihood of acceptance at each MCAT score varies with the GPA you have, as well as the rest of your application.

Reactions: 2 users
What is "not competitive?" Plenty of people only study for a month and get acceptable scores.
ehhh, the thing is the test is so high stakes that I personally and others that I have known wouldn't feel comfortable cramming it in that time frame. That would require OP to take a test every week too to get a look at his FL average.

ehhh, the thing is the test is so high stakes that I personally and others that I have known wouldn't feel comfortable cramming it in that time frame. That would require OP to take a test every week too to get a look at his FL average.
He's been studying for some period of time already, he's taking FLs to decide that his score isn't competitive I assume. Of course he should only take it when he's ready, but how many months does someone realistically need to be ready? He's either taking it next month or pushing and waiting a cycle. 🤷‍♂️

He's been studying for some period of time already, he's taking FLs to decide that his score isn't competitive I assume. Of course he should only take it when he's ready, but how many months does someone realistically need to be ready? He's either taking it next month or pushing and waiting a cycle. 🤷‍♂️
better to sit out a cycle instead of rushing to take an exam and fumbling it which would anyways push you back a cycle.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't the point in the cycle that you apply also come into play?
Submitting your strongest, early completed application with all elements (MCAT, SJT, LORs) is necessary to get a shot at acceptance. You aren't eliminated if any element is late, but you may have to wait later in the cycle for interviews, and your chances for a quick offer will shrink unless you have a compelling mission alignment with schools on your list.

That's pretty much it.