Medical leave of absence between M2-M3 for parental leave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docren004

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it negatively impact my chances of matching into Internal Medicine residency programs at "prestigious" programs (e.g., Mayo) if I take a one-year medical leave of absence for parental leave starting the beginning of my M3 clinical rotations due to the birth of our first child last week and associated complications for her and my wife?

Based on revised estimates, it now appears that if I stick to the standard timeline for M3-M4, I would have to compromise and wind up being mediocre (according to my own internal standards) at being a father/husband, a physician in training, and an investigator. It occurred to me, why do that if I don't have to? What if I just dilated the timeline to give myself a relatively realistic fighting chance at doing all three reasonably well?

Of course, the primary reason why not would be if it would negatively impact my chances of matching into the kind of residency I would like to get into. I am technically undecided, but I am pretty sure I will go into Internal Medicine. However, I have a unique twist on this situation in that I am an independent researcher/investigator without a PI, and I need to eventually gain permission to apply for clinical trial funding. I am working on multiple redundant strategies to get myself into a position to do that ASAP, but I do not know which one(s) will work. A couple of dear friends from my pre-med days just got into residencies at Mayo, and they told me that Mayo people told them in their interviews that they would set them up with a mentor who would co-sign funding applications for clinical trials of their own design for them if they wanted. I was shocked by this, because, in my experience, academia is a rigidly hierarchical class-based system that is extremely hostile towards non-PhDs and non-PIs attempting to do independent research designed by anyone other than a current PI (as opposed to being another pair of "good hands" to help carry out the experiments designed by a PI). Therefore, one of my strategies has become to attempt to get into Mayo's IM residency program and/or programs with similar atypical attitudes towards non-PI designed research. Thus the need for this preliminary safety check to gauge the likelihood that taking a medical leave of absence could compromise this strategy.

In practice, doing this might wind up meaning that I space out my rotations over two years instead of one, for example taking 2-3 months off, then doing a rotation, then taking another couple months off, then another rotation, etc.

I welcome thoughts, experiences, and opinions from anyone and everyone, including but not limited to @GoSpursGo, @NotAProgDirector, and @margarine. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The bottom line is that taking a medical LOA won’t hurt you. Things happen and this is why this is an option.

I have no idea what you’re talking about wrt being an independent researcher as a medical student. You can probably write grants as a resident for simple research projects, but there’s no way you can run a clinical trial on your own as a resident

Reactions: 4 users
Follow up question: any thoughts on whether it is likely that it could make a significant difference if it gets categorized as a medical LOA, vs. a non-medical LOA? My dean has told me so far that they're "not sure" they can call it a medical LOA. I'm not sure if that matters or is worth pushing on. I think I probably could get it called medical with a letter from our OBGYN and/or pediatrician, but I'm not sure. However, from what I've read online, my impression is that medical LOAs are looked upon less negatively than non-medical LOAs, although I'm not sure if that just depends on the reason for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Follow up question: any thoughts on whether it is likely that it could make a significant difference if it gets categorized as a medical LOA, vs. a non-medical LOA? My dean has told me so far that they're "not sure" they can call it a medical LOA. I'm not sure if that matters or is worth pushing on. I think I probably could get it called medical with a letter from our OBGYN and/or pediatrician, but I'm not sure. However, from what I've read online, my impression is that medical LOAs are looked upon less negatively than non-medical LOAs, although I'm not sure if that just depends on the reason for it.
No, I don't think it makes a huge difference. People take LOAs for any number of valid reasons.

Reactions: 4 users
OK, one more follow-up question: would it change the answer if I told you that, instead of taking a continuous one-year LOA, I skipped every other rotation and spread them out over 2 years instead of 1, i.e., take a couple of months off, then did one rotation, then took the next rotation period off, then did another, etc. Would the optics of that potentially be bad for residency purposes?

What if I took a 6-month semester off now, restarted rotations on the regular schedule next January, graduated in December instead of May of 2025, and then matched with the class of 2026? I'm guessing this option would look pretty much the same as taking one continuous year off, right?

OK, one more follow-up question: would it change the answer if I told you that, instead of taking a continuous one-year LOA, I skipped every other rotation and spread them out over 2 years instead of 1, i.e., take a couple of months off, then did one rotation, then took the next rotation period off, then did another, etc. Would the optics of that potentially be bad for residency purposes?

What if I took a 6-month semester off now, restarted rotations on the regular schedule next January, graduated in December instead of May of 2025, and then matched with the class of 2026? I'm guessing this option would look pretty much the same as taking one continuous year off, right?
What did your advisors say about this situation and which route would be better? I believe they could give a better answer to that question because I don't see a problem with either one overall in the end.

Reactions: 1 users
What did your advisors say about this situation and which route would be better? I believe they could give a better answer to that question because I don't see a problem with either one overall in the end.
My med school dean said she was concerned about the optics of doing the every other rotation/staggered option for residency apps. She thought it would make it harder for me to match and raise red flags with program directors.

She thought taking a 6 month or 1 year LOA, ideally involving research, would be better for residencies because it was more “traditional.”

I’m not sure exactly what kind of experience this perspective was based on (as in, I’m not sure if she was speculating, or saying this based on experience with the residency selection process). For context, she’s a surgeon.

Reactions: 2 users
My med school dean said she was concerned about the optics of doing the every other rotation/staggered option for residency apps. She thought it would make it harder for me to match and raise red flags with program directors.

She thought taking a 6 month or 1 year LOA, ideally involving research, would be better for residencies because it was more “traditional.”

I’m not sure exactly what kind of experience this perspective was based on (as in, I’m not sure if she was speculating, or saying this based on experience with the residency selection process). For context, she’s a surgeon.
I think in this situation, I would follow her advice 100%. As an advisor, she would know what is best for you and your situation so taking that temporary LOA would be much better your benefit. Perhaps it may be a slight detriment or something you would have to explain later when you do aim for more prestigious positions at name-brand institutions, but I do not think they will mark you off for that. Once again, congratulations on becoming a father and best of luck to your and your future medical endeavors, cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
I think in this situation, I would follow her advice 100%. As an advisor, she would know what is best for you and your situation so taking that temporary LOA would be much better your benefit. Perhaps it may be a slight detriment or something you would have to explain later when you do aim for more prestigious positions at name-brand institutions, but I do not think they will mark you off for that. Once again, congratulations on becoming a father and best of luck to your and your future medical endeavors, cheers!
Are you an M1?

I am about to be yes, starting July/August!
Ah. I wasn't sure from your post whether you had any experience with or knowledge of the nuances of the residency selection process.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and congratulations on your acceptance to med school!

Ah. I wasn't sure from your post whether you had any experience with or knowledge of the nuances of the residency selection process.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and congratulations on your acceptance to med school!
I have a family connection to a large residency program in my state and several family friends that I've known all my life that are current teaching faculty and was formally on admissions at medical schools in my state. I'm just regurgitating what they told me when I showed them your post, to be quite frank.

Doing the every other would be weird. If you have a special circumstance get it addressed and then go back to full focus on medical training. There isn’t a lot of room for part time schooling in medical training.

Regarding 6 vs 12 months. You’ll probably get more attention if you’re graduating off cycle. Not the good kind of attention.

Any way you can make this a productive research year? That way you can be flexible and productive.

Doing the every other would be weird. If you have a special circumstance get it addressed and then go back to full focus on medical training. There isn’t a lot of room for part time schooling in medical training.

Regarding 6 vs 12 months. You’ll probably get more attention if you’re graduating off cycle. Not the good kind of attention.

Any way you can make this a productive research year? That way you can be flexible and productive.

Thanks for this. It sounds like the closer I can make this LOA conform to a standard timeline and established pracices (i.e., taking a "research year"), the safer it is likely to be for my residency application.

I am planning to try to get some productive research done in between everything else, though almost definitely not in a PIs lab for both legal and other reasons (i.e., I have a valid pro bono attorney-sanctioned reason for my application why I am trying to avoid working under a PI employed by a university for this). I do not know how my research output might look to residency selection people.

Worst case scenario, I could probably get published in peer-reviewed, PubMed-indexed journals at least a couple of first-author publications (maybe a systematic review or two, a letter or two, let's say) with novel interpretations of previously published data (but no original/previously-unpublished data).

Best case scenario, this might involve the publication of an original cell culture experiment on which I'm first author that I'm trying to get done, but that is not for sure yet. If it happens, most likely this experiment would be industry-sponored by a startup funded by donations and carried out primarily by either researchers at my school, another university, or an outside contract research organization (CRO), depending on cost, expertise, and availability. The university or CRO may wind up being located in the US, or in another country, such as low-resource country with a favorable exchange rate to the US dollar where such things are easier on the budget.

By the way, @gyngyn and @Goro, I just want to say that I appreciate your presence on this thread. You both helped me so much throughout my pre-med journey, back when I may have had a different SDN avatar. And you got me oriented to the general big picture ideas about the science behind evidence based medicine that still frame my thinking to this day. For all that, I am very grateful. 🙏

This message is not intended to be replied to.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the advice here. I do not think an LOA will impact you at all, one way or another. You have a clear reason that you can articulate. Getting some research done while you're on leave is a great idea if it is practical. In general, most research is more productive when you're doing it continuously -- if you are doing rotations every other month I would think that might be disriptive to your research work. But it all depends on the nature of the work, and you'd be the best judge of that. I don't think it matters whether you graduate off cycle or not -- as long as any gap is less than 6 months, no one is going to care.

I agree with the advice here. I do not think an LOA will impact you at all, one way or another. You have a clear reason that you can articulate. Getting some research done while you're on leave is a great idea if it is practical. In general, most research is more productive when you're doing it continuously -- if you are doing rotations every other month I would think that might be disriptive to your research work. But it all depends on the nature of the work, and you'd be the best judge of that. I don't think it matters whether you graduate off cycle or not -- as long as any gap is less than 6 months, no one is going to care.
Thank you for this.

Could you clarify what you meant by, “as long as any gap is less than 6 months, no one is going to care”? I think I know what you mean, but I want to confirm.

As in, which were you referring to?

1) To the offset from any year’s cycle in general (i.e., graduating in the middle of any given year and matching fall-winter of that same year, even if the year were delayed by a one-year LOA to 2026)?

If so, does that mean that graduating in December of 2025 and then attempting to match a year later in fall-winter of 2026 could be bad?

2) Or, to the offset from my class’s original cycle (graduating mid 2025 and matching fall-winter of that same year)?

3) Or, to the total length of the LOA, i.e., less than 6 months LOA would be fine, but a 6-month or 12-month LOA might be a problem?

Once you graduate, you'll have no clinical experience at all since you won't be a student, nor a resident. In general, I'd try to keep that to 6 months or less. There's nothing magic about the number 6. But I'd try to avoid an entire 12 months of no clinical work.

If you graduate in Dec 2025, I'd consider participating in the 2026 match (i.e. apply Sept 2025, match March 2026, start July 2026). 18 months with no clinical work is going to start raising concerns.

The length of the LOA doesn't really matter - 6 or 12 months.