My computer automatically filled in my mom's name as a preferred name on a secondary application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluefreckles

Reaction score
I just got a confirmation email addressed to "bluefreckles' mom" instead of "bluefreckles."

I fixed it, but apparently it didn't save before I submitted. How should I fix this? Should I do an application update, or should I try to contact the Office of Admissions?

Am I going to look like an idiot? This school is one of my top choices :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is your new name. You gotta just roll with it

(You can always email admissions later on but no need to panic over a smol autocorrect error)

Reactions: 3 users
I think the only reasonable thing to do is legally change your name at this point

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you can change it

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast..._amcas_2021_applicant_guide_42220.pdf#page=65

Post-submission Changes
Before submitting your application, you should review it thoroughly. After you submit your application,
you may make changes only to the following sections:
• ID numbers.
• Name, including Legal Name, Preferred Name, and Alternate Names.
• Contact Information, including Permanent and Preferred Mailing Addresses.
• Alternate Contact.
• Birth and Sex.
• Letters of Evaluation (addition of no more than 10 letter entries and notification to AMCAS
of a letter no longer to be sent).
• Next MCAT test date.
• Addition of medical schools and change(s) to existing program type (deadlines, fees,
and restrictions apply).
• Release of application information to your prehealth advisor.
After you submit your application, the Submit Application button will change to Resubmit. A time
stamp will appear noting the date and time of submission. The Resubmit Application button will remain
inactive until a permitted change is made to the application. Once you have edited a permitted field,
the button will become active.
They submitted it on a secondary application, not their primary, but this is good knowledge for people to have!

Can't believe OP is still using mom's laptop. Wonder how that may fly with adcoms.

Can't believe OP is still using mom's laptop. Wonder how that may fly with adcoms.

fwiw my mother's name often autofills bc i've had the same laptop for ~11 years, and at 11 it's very reasonable to have accounts, etc., as a family or registered under your parent's name. Don't assume.

It's my laptop. My mom sometimes helps me pay for things. I'm grateful for it, and I know not everybody has that help. I also sometimes let her use my laptop when she needs it.

If my family didn't have the resources to own more than one computer, I don't see why adcoms would have a problem with that.

I'm more upset that it will look like I didn't proofread, not that it looks like I'm close with my family.

Reactions: 1 user