New grad vet jobs in Minneapolis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyroCap

Oregon State University 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current 3rd year vet student, about to start 4th year. I don't go to UMN, however my partner's family is from there and we are highly considering moving to Minneapolis after we graduate (he is in my class as well). We want to live very close or in the main city so I can try and live without a car, and practice SA/exotics GP. However, when researching veterinary hospitals, there aren't that many in the downtown-ish area and the rest are very spread out in the suburbs. Since I want to walk, bike, or take transit, working in a further-out suburb really isn't an option. From looking at hospital websites, it also seems like a majority of vets are UMN grads (and understandably so), so I am worried about competing with the UMN new grads who will be able to network and interview more easily. We also want some work/home life separation and don't want to work at the same hospital.

Does anyone have experience with living in Minneapolis as a veterinarian? What is the job market like, is it very competitive, especially downtown and the immediate surrounding areas? How likely will a new grad who didn't go to UMN be hired? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to the private practice job market around here because that wasn't something I looked into at all (because I knew I'd be doing the match), but I think not having a car in the Twin Cities is going to be relatively difficult. We have a decent-ish public transit system, but this is no NYC or other major city with a super well-established bus and train system, and as you have already discovered, there aren't a lot of clinics in the immediate downtown areas.

I am a current 3rd year vet student, about to start 4th year. I don't go to UMN, however my partner's family is from there and we are highly considering moving to Minneapolis after we graduate (he is in my class as well). We want to live very close or in the main city so I can try and live without a car, and practice SA/exotics GP. However, when researching veterinary hospitals, there aren't that many in the downtown-ish area and the rest are very spread out in the suburbs. Since I want to walk, bike, or take transit, working in a further-out suburb really isn't an option. From looking at hospital websites, it also seems like a majority of vets are UMN grads (and understandably so), so I am worried about competing with the UMN new grads who will be able to network and interview more easily. We also want some work/home life separation and don't want to work at the same hospital.

Does anyone have experience with living in Minneapolis as a veterinarian? What is the job market like, is it very competitive, especially downtown and the immediate surrounding areas? How likely will a new grad who didn't go to UMN be hired? Thanks!
I can't comment on living in MN or the job market in that area specifically. However, I will say at this time it is an associates market and finding a job is in your favor. Overall most clinics do not care which avma school you graduated from and it is much more based on your interview and you as a person. You're just seeing the market saturation mostly UMN because you're in MN and the school is in the town.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say getting A job will not be much of a challenge; as MixedAnimals said it's an associates market and there is plenty of demand in the cities. Finding a job that perfectly meets your needs for transport, practice type, and salary might be a bit more challenging. The public transport system is decent but it might be a long trip for even a short commute if the buses are involved. I will say that the area between Minneapolis and St Paul may not look 'close to downtown' but it will have better public transport access. I recommend looking at the Metro Transit map on their website for a better idea of where those connections are going to be stronger: Schedules & Maps - Metro Transit
Your best bet for commuting would probably be to live and work near the Light Rail. If you live within a mile or two of your practice you might be able to walk or bike to work depending on your comfort level, but remember that winter can be stupid cold so have plan for that.

The school you graduated from isn't going to matter to most clinics. There is the chance that other applicants will have been able to network with a practice better than you, but that can be the case for any job, and won't make that big of a difference overall

I work at an SA/exotics GP practice, so let me know if you have exotics-specific questions!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say getting A job will not be much of a challenge; as MixedAnimals said it's an associates market and there is plenty of demand in the cities. Finding a job that perfectly meets your needs for transport, practice type, and salary might be a bit more challenging. The public transport system is decent but it might be a long trip for even a short commute if the buses are involved. I will say that the area between Minneapolis and St Paul may not look 'close to downtown' but it will have better public transport access. I recommend looking at the Metro Transit map on their website for a better idea of where those connections are going to be stronger: Schedules & Maps - Metro Transit
Your best bet for commuting would probably be to live and work near the Light Rail. If you live within a mile or two of your practice you might be able to walk or bike to work depending on your comfort level, but remember that winter can be stupid cold so have plan for that.

The school you graduated from isn't going to matter to most clinics. There is the chance that other applicants will have been able to network with a practice better than you, but that can be the case for any job, and won't make that big of a difference overall

I work at an SA/exotics GP practice, so let me know if you have exotics-specific questions!
Thanks so much for the info, this is really helpful!

Reactions: 1 user