Non-English characters in AMCAS PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E0001234

Reaction score
Weird question, but will non-English characters render correctly in the AMCAS primary app? I plan to include two very brief lines of Spanish dialogue in my PS (they're very simple/common phrases that anyone who has heard Spanish even just in passing would understand), and they contain the characters ¿ ñ and í. I know the applicant guide says "schools receive all text-entry responses as plain text"—would this mess with those three characters? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Weird question, but will non-English characters render correctly in the AMCAS primary app? I plan to include two very brief lines of Spanish dialogue in my PS (they're very simple/common phrases that anyone who has heard Spanish even just in passing would understand), and they contain the characters ¿ ñ and í. I know the applicant guide says "schools receive all text-entry responses as plain text"—would this mess with those three characters? Thanks in advance!
I don't think those will work. People last year also had problems using the symbol %

I don't think those will work. People last year also had problems using the symbol %
Thank you for the heads-up. Do you think it would be okay to just use "n" instead "ñ" and "i" instead of "í"? Or would it look like I don't know how to spell despite claiming fluency in Spanish?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Back in the day," we would warn applicants not to copy and paste their essays from word processing programs into AMCAS because the extra characters like line breaks junk up the text. I'm sure it's better now, but unless you work in TXT format... I think it would mess things up.

Most of us understand if you mean to put accents to be proper. For example, fiance/e (don't autocorrect to finance).

Reactions: 1 user
Watch out for "ano" in Spanish. Without the tilda, those three letters mean something very different.
The word I planned to use was “Español”, but now I’m considering including a gastroenterologist shadowing experience…

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user