NYU Long Island vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pumpkinpatch109

Reaction score
Tufts
Pros
  • Love Boston - Healthcare hub, seemingly limitless opportunities for research, shadowing, networking, etc.
  • Had a really positive impression at second look - students were happy, faculty were personable, facilities were very nice.
  • Could theoretically match into a more competitive specialty (see NYU cons).

Cons
  • $0 financial aid - looking at $400-500k in debt by graduation due to high cost of living/tuition

NYU GLISOM
Pros
  • FREE tuition
  • Three year program w/ direct entry into residency
  • Less of a stress to network/research due to nature of the program

Cons
  • At this school, it is expected that you match into the residency that you indicated upon applying. While I do like the field I applied for, I cannot say with certainty that it is what I want to do for the rest of my life (truthfully, I think it's hard for most to do that at this stage).
  • No, you do not have to pursue this specialty. But the nature of the accelerated program does not allow for students to match into more competitive specialties because there is no time for things like research, extracurriculars, etc.

Summary: If both schools were to cost the same, I would choose Tufts. Is it silly to lean towards Tufts if I think that's where I'll be happier? I am afraid to box myself in at NYU and commit to a specialty at the start of my medical education.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think this will truly come down to your personal goals. Would you be happy in a primary care specialty? If so, I would take NYU-LI in a heartbeat. I hope you wouldn't have much friction with your school if you ended up liking pediatrics over medicine, etc. It also seems like you are not 100% restricted to PC vs. other specialties.

The cost difference is absolutely massive... I would shudder to recommend anyone go for that, especially if they are not independently wealthy (you are comparing free tuition to one of the most expensive schools/areas in the country). I think it's normal to feel undecided before medical school, and at the end of the day you should go where you feel you would be happiest. But I would carefully consider how different your experience and input/output would be at both schools before deciding.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts
Pros
  • Love Boston - Healthcare hub, seemingly limitless opportunities for research, shadowing, networking, etc.
  • Had a really positive impression at second look - students were happy, faculty were personable, facilities were very nice.
  • Could theoretically match into a more competitive specialty (see NYU cons).

Cons
  • $0 financial aid - looking at $400-500k in debt by graduation due to high cost of living/tuition

NYU GLISOM
Pros
  • FREE tuition
  • Three year program w/ direct entry into residency
  • Less of a stress to network/research due to nature of the program

Cons
  • At this school, it is expected that you match into the residency that you indicated upon applying. While I do like the field I applied for, I cannot say with certainty that it is what I want to do for the rest of my life (truthfully, I think it's hard for most to do that at this stage).
  • No, you do not have to pursue this specialty. But the nature of the accelerated program does not allow for students to match into more competitive specialties because there is no time for things like research, extracurriculars, etc.

Summary: If both schools were to cost the same, I would choose Tufts. Is it silly to lean towards Tufts if I think that's where I'll be happier? I am afraid to box myself in at NYU and commit to a specialty at the start of my medical education.
Whatever field you are in at NYU LI (you didn't specify) there are always fellowships you can do after residency to specialize more. Add that in to your factors, including not having to go through the stress of interviewing for residency match. It's very stressful!