One gap year or two?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shen_qingqiu

Reaction score
Currently a Junior in undergrad (MA resident, ORM), though technically a Senior since I'm graduating a year early (financial reasons mostly). I was lucky enough to receive a post-grad job offer at my current research lab which I've accepted, and I plan to work there for about a year. Right now I'm just torn over whether or not to take one versus two gap years. I'd prefer to just take one, but am also willing to stick it out for an extra year if I have to.

My stats + ECs:
  • cGPA: 3.6, sGPA: 3.4
  • MCAT: Taking 1/27/23
  • 2 years of undergraduate research (roughly 1000 hrs), 1 first authorship paper in the works with my name on 2 other papers
  • 100 hours volunteering in the ER
  • 50 hours volunteering at a hospice, projected to get about 50-100 more before graduation
  • 1 year working at my school's residential service desk (gave packages, spare keys, etc.)
  • 3 months working as a piano instructor (summer of Freshman yr)
Next semester I'm going to focus on writing my school's honors thesis and I also applied to be a tutor. My main concern is raising/maintaining my GPA.

I know my lack of clinical experience is the big thing holding me back, so after I graduate I'm planning on taking EMT classes at my local CC while working, then finding a part time/per diem job in the area. I would work full time as an EMT/MA, but the research job offers more money and is a great work environment. If I applied next cycle would medical schools care about my plans to work as an EMT or does it not matter until I actually have hours under my belt?

Members don't see this ad.

You need actual hours completed, and it will need to be a significant number for both clinical experience and non-clinical volunteering. The science GPA will hold you back at research focused schools, so you will need to get a lot more service to those less fortunate for schools more in line with your grades.

Reactions: 3 users