Only one LOR uploaded so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwanttobelieve

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! US MD applying to peds. So I asked multiple attendings earlier in the summer for strong LORs, and they all agreed. However, so far only one has uploaded a letter. One has been pretty responsive with emails and says he's working on it, so I plan to remind him once September hits. One is probably going to be more of a research letter than a clinical letter since unfortunately the rotation I ended up doing with him is more shadowing than anything else.

However, the one that I'm starting to get worried about is one from my sub-I. The attending gave me very strong evals, seemed pretty enthusiastic about writing a letter, and has been so helpful and met with me to edit my personal statement and school list. So I hadn't been worried about this letter, but I sent a reminder/CV update email last week and haven't heard back. Should I consider trying to last minute scramble for another letter from someone else, or is it too early to be freaking out? Unfortunately the people I could consider asking are from earlier in M3, so I think they might be fairly generic since it's been a while. I'm worried about not having 3 letters come Sept 29, since I heard it can take a few days after uploading for letters to become available?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the first step is sending a polite but semi urgent reminder, reiterating the "need for speed". I am sure he means to write you a letter, but sometimes its quite easy to get sidetracked.

That being said, I dont think it hurts to play the field. Send him a reminder, but have a backup ready to go just in case.

I think the first step is sending a polite but semi urgent reminder, reiterating the "need for speed". I am sure he means to write you a letter, but sometimes its quite easy to get sidetracked.

That being said, I dont think it hurts to play the field. Send him a reminder, but have a backup ready to go just in case.
So I sent that CV update/check-in email last week and haven’t gotten a response (which in itself was kind of weird since this attending had been pretty good about emails). Should I just email again Sept 1st or something? I don’t want to be a nag and I know this attending writes tons of letters so they definitely know the drill and probably think they have plenty of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still way too early to worry about this. Attendings are busy people and will have lots of requests for LORs. The only time I would worry about a LOR will not be completed is if you know the attending has extenuating personal or professional circumstances (eg just left his/her current institution and changing jobs)

So I sent that CV update/check-in email last week and haven’t gotten a response (which in itself was kind of weird since this attending had been pretty good about emails). Should I just email again Sept 1st or something? I don’t want to be a nag and I know this attending writes tons of letters so they definitely know the drill and probably think they have plenty of time.

I hate to be the person that tells you to be a nag, but be a nag. Sometimes attendings forget how important this and sometimes thats what it takes. This is your future after all.

Those who write LoRs have a million things going on in their lives at once, just like you probably do. As someone who has written many an LoR, the best thing I can recommend is to send them a message (email, text, etc.) with a reminder of the due date. Due dates give a sense of urgency and if you let things go for a week again before reminding them, your request may get lost in the shuffle of prioritization.

It's early yet, but it is time to start nagging. If it's been a week since your last message, send one now and then weekly until say 9/10. Then q3-4 days until 9/21. Then daily.

The attending just emailed me back and said the letter will get written this weekend. 🙌🏼 I also did end up getting another letter just in case though!

Reactions: 1 user
If you have confirmed that an attending will write you a LOR then there little cause of concern. Unfortunately attendings are just like the rest of us (most of us?) and will push off deadlines until the very last minute. I remember stressing about letters as a med student and it came down to the last minute and everything worked out just fine. Attendings know when these letters are due, and they will unfortunately wait until the last moment to write them.