Pitt vs Einstein!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparky21

Reaction score
Hey guys!! I was set on Einstein and then really unexpectedly was accepted off the WL to Pitt. I never expected myself to get accepted to a school with the caliber of pitt so now I’m torn. For reference I don’t really know what specialty I want to do but I do have an interest in optho and ent rn so want to keep doors open. I don’t see myself working in academia though would prefer to be in private practice settings. If any current students at either school could weigh in that would be great too :) thank you all so much

Pitt
PROS:
-insanely robust research in every specialty
-major ties to school and city; know a lot of people at the school and incoming m1s and in the general city so will have existing support system
-UPMC system; extensive home residencies
-love the integration of small groups and how hands on curriculum is
-no aoa
-T15 school- more prestige/opportunities?
-very cheap cost of living in the city

CONS:
-don’t anticipate getting any aid and will be full COA likely around $250-300k.
-far from family and SO
-not my favorite city so 8 years here is alot
-new curriculum seems kinda messy and a lot of kinks are still being worked out, there is no telling how it will prepare students for step and such
-mandatories 8-12 everyday

Einstein
PROS:
-FREE TUITUON!! and super cheap subsidized housing as well
-close to support system
-a lot of positive changes seem to be coming- learning communities, NBME exams, etc. but also maybe too fast ?? and I’d be a test bunny
-proximity (although not super close) to nyc
-non mandatory lectures

CONS:
-not a fan of the immediate location or the student housing dynamic. would prefer a degree of separation between where I live and where I study if that makes sense
-AOA
-matching in some competitive specialties isn’t as strong- for example only one optho match this year
-get the sense of alot of administrative disorganization- plus they’re on probation for a reason
-didn’t get positive or happy vibes from current students when I visited

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Einstein. Your cons for Pitt significantly outweigh your cons for Einstein. $250-$300k in debt and in a remote location you have no interest in and far from your SO? I don’t think having to live and study near the same place sounds so bad compared to that lol

Reactions: 5 users
Disclosure: was accepted to both, decided on Einstein.

Was initially leaning toward Pitt for research and prestige, but Einstein swung hard with the free tuition. I took a deeper dive and found strong research, abundantly happy medical students, it's close to home and oh yeah, FREE TUITION.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Firstly CONGRATS! This is a super tough choice. But assuming you only get free tuition at Einstein and close to 0 fin aid, the difference of COA for 4 years at the two schools would be ~150k-200 (correct me if I’m wrong, I may be using skewed numbers). If this is correct, then the difference in debt is honestly worth the investment to go to a school with more robust resources (ofc this depends on your personal circumstances and finances). However, support system proximity is a huuuge thing… if your quality of life at Einstein will be significantly better then I definitely recommend going there.

I was also accepted to Einstein and had some time to explore the school a bit - I’m happy to chat more on PM!

not my favorite city so 8 years here is alot
8 years? is this for md-phd then? because if so then the tuition is irrelevant.

disclaimer: no interview at either lol but honestly it seems like you’ll have better prospects at Pitt research, prestige, and matching wise. agree with commenter above, the COA is actually smaller than you might think and the investment for a T15 is worth it

8 years? is this for md-phd then? because if so then the tuition is irrelevant.

disclaimer: no interview at either lol but honestly it seems like you’ll have better prospects at Pitt research, prestige, and matching wise. agree with commenter above, the COA is actually smaller than you might think and the investment for a T15 is worth it
8 years is bc I did undergrad here haha should’ve clarified. thanks for your insight!

I think it's Einstein, and it's a pretty clear choice. Both schools are very close already, and the gap will very likely vanish with time (no, I don't think your matching prospects will differ. There were 8 Ophtho matches the year before at Einstein, people's interests change every year). Your friends and family are in NYC. Having/not having AOA is irrelevant since both schools have graded clinicals (the main determinant). And the cost difference with interest is absolutely massive.

Congrats!!

Easily Einstein. Free tuition is a game-changer + proximity to support system. Your pros for Pitt aren't strong enough to outweigh what you have at Einstein.

Will say that if Ophtho is what you are considering, Einstein's ophtho department is not super strong. Student that matched ophtho from Einstein told me that there are no ophthalmologists at Einstein known outside of NYC, and if you want to match at a name-brand institution, you gotta do a research year. Idk about Pitt's ophtho program, but I assume that it is much better

Will say that if Ophtho is what you are considering, Einstein's ophtho department is not super strong. Student that matched ophtho from Einstein told me that there are no ophthalmologists at Einstein known outside of NYC, and if you want to match at a name-brand institution, you gotta do a research year. Idk about Pitt's ophtho program, but I assume that it is much better
They used ophtho as an example. That is a bad assumption - Pitt's optho department is not particularly strong (not bad either, but neither is Einstein's).

You will probably enjoy Yankees games more than Pirates games. Assuming you went to Pirates games.
for quality of games yes, but nothing beats the pirates stadium views!!

disclaimer: WL at Pitt

I would choose Einstein. Money + Closer Support System + NY is a better location to be IMO. Pitt's curriculum is also relatively new so you would honestly be a test bunny at both places if Einstein's change of curriculum is a concern for you.

Hi! I was accepted to both, am also interested in ent, and I actually chose Pitt over Einstein because I could graduate with little debt and couldn’t see myself living in New York for over 4 years (and most Einstein students right now match to New York residencies).

Pitt’s program is stellar. Their second look day really sold me, and I was a Pittsburgh sceptic at first. That being said, I don’t think the differences in what Pitt can offer are worth $250k+ of debt at graduation. Moreover, if you know you don’t like Pittsburgh and your support system is closer to NY, the choice is Einstein! Pitt might have a slight edge in certain areas like ent, high tech facilities/resources and possibly more organized admin, but both programs are comparable overall and Einstein will not close any doors.

If you’re struggling to make a decision, I’m happy to share more about Pitt’s second look day vibes and other differences I found, since I spent weeks laboring over the same choices. Congrats and best of luck!