Possibility of being overseas for a portion of interview season next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD-PhD-NonTrad

M2 MD/PhD, In Clerkships
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work for a medical aid organization and it is becoming more and more likely we may become involved in COVID relief over the coming months. I am not certain when this will happen - could be March could be August - or even whether I will be ‘abroad’ in the US or overseas.

Since there is the very real possibility that this could interfere with interview season (although thankfully interviews will almost certainly be virtual this cycle) I have a few concerns.

1) While on assignment like this, I very likely will not be able to bring my suit with me/may need to dress in work-attire for any interviews that do occur.

2) I am not *as* concerned about the internet connection issue although that has come to mind. More pressing is that my schedule may just be too busy to take off a morning or afternoon. What has been the notice provided and timeframe for virtual interviews?

3) Would this be something to include in an “anything else” prompt or would it be better to wait for an interview invite, email the school “I am currently out of country for this, will be home at date and time, can I reschedule?”

4) Will schools be accommodating towards this or should I be prepared to do interviews on assignment regardless of my working conditions?

Thank you for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t apply until you can focus on the process. One of the big advisors on here(@gonnif I think) tells his advisees that they should consider applying to med school a full time job. And do you really think not having a suit is the #1 issue?

I wouldn’t apply until you can focus on the process. One of the big advisors on here(@gonnif I think) tells his advisees that they should consider applying to med school a full time job. And do you really think not having a suit is the #1 issue?
I think the number one issue would be scheduling conflicts, but only for those few months.

As above applying to medical school is a full time job from May thru September at least and on call from then on. I advise applicants do not plan to be out of the country or on vacation for that matter.

Hell of an assumption, with now being enough vaccine for the entire country by July, live interviews must be assumed. But before you even get to that, how the hell are you going to keep up with secondaries if you are so busy? If you cant put time and energy into them, polishing them up you may never get as far as an interview

Oh that looks so professional. Do you really your want your impression to be a slob for whatever reason? bring a suit and keep it neat.

You may have set dates for interviews and they may be an all day affair. You will likely have a choice of dates but it better be your only focus. Else you will not make a good impression

And do you know what date you will be home?

be prepared to do it regardless. While most schools will be somewhat accommodating , you may get an invite at a school that isnt

All in all it is a risky set of assumptions that leave you possibly not making a great impression

thankfully I have already pre-written and polished all of the secondaries which I can.

It is a pretty strong assumption, but knowing government programs I am wagering that it will get just a month or two behind and combined with people refusing vaccinations. If it continues even until august, I would wager that schools which start with virtual interviews will maintain them all cycle.

Virtual interviews aside, I will know what date I will be done once I know what date I will be starting if it ever comes. It would be a length of two or three months but I would know solid dates once I start. Were i to proceed with the cycle and virtual interviews are not a thing, where would you recommend I put this information on my secondary application? Or on emails?

Assuming that schools are accommodating. I know some schools are not accommodating, however I know historically my line of work is typically one that is Often an exception to accommodation practices.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. A lot to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think OP had already decided what they wanted to do before making this post. However, I agree with gonnif that applicants should stay at home and ready to be on call. Also, a lot of schools are already implementing hybrid virtual/in-person classes. Unless you‘re sure which schools will maintain virtual interviews and apply only to those, you might be in trouble. Also, I highly advise to keep your suit! (some medical schools are not as accomodating as you think...again do your own research).

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I think OP had already decided what they wanted to do before making this post. However, I agree with gonnif that applicants should stay at home and ready to be on call. Also, a lot of schools are already implementing hybrid virtual/in-person classes. Unless you‘re sure which schools will maintain virtual interviews and apply only to those, you might be in trouble. Also, I highly advise to keep your suit! (some medical schools are not as accomodating as you think...again do your own research).
Yes, I already have decided that I will be applying this coming cycle. The potential for overseas nature of my employment won’t change between this cycle amd next cycle and I love my job so I’m going to need to work around it. I am more just interested in the accommodations side of things. But, that is kind of the big take away I’m getting is take my suit with me and be ready to ask for time off from work to fly or just schedule a virtual interviews. I think if I have a couple weeks notice for my employer that shouldn’t be an issue.

I actually haven’t heard anything about hybrid in person and virtual interviews? I knew about classes, but not interview sessions. Are you able to expand on that?

I think if I have a couple weeks notice for my employer that shouldn’t be an issue.
I wouldn't count on a couple weeks notice either. Many of my interviews this cycle gave me one week notice. Nobody knows for sure if interviews will be in person or virtual unfortunately. All speculation.

Reactions: 3 users
You might write to each school after you submit your secondary noting that you may be called overseas as part of your job (which will be shown on your AMCAS application) and that you will up-date the school if that should happen. Schools might take a quick look at your application and queue you for interview to catch you before you go away, or may just ignore your message. You've got nothing to lose by up-dating schools regarding your location and limitations for interview dates.

Reactions: 1 users
Just an anecdote. A friend of mine went abroad for a fellowship program in the January of interview season (not this COVID cycle). Three schools scheduled him for interview while he was abroad, and they were all very accomodating. At one school, the dean just had an one-on-one interview with him right before he left. At the other schools, he was able to do it virtually. He ended up getting into all of them.

Just give schools a notice early and you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both @LizzyM and @LeezyM

I was very confused by Leezy’s notification as I could have sworn Lizzy had already replied. Turns out, there are more of you than I thought.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user