Rejecting the offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmich

Reaction score
Hello people,

I recently received an invitation for an interview, and I was surprised to even get one for this cycle knowing that it is super late in the cycle. I was just wondering that assuming if I got the acceptance offer after the interview, what are some complications if I reject the offer? I do understand that after rejecting the offer at this point in the cycle will hinder me from applying to this school ever again, but will there be other adverse effects to my admissions for the upcoming cycle? Will other schools know that I rejected the offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't have an offer yet. You have an interview; as far as I can tell, it's your only one, right?

I don't think there are "complications" about rejecting the offer, but be very certain. You already had difficulty getting interviews this cycle.

Yes, I do understand that I only got to an interview, not an acceptance. Simply, will other schools know that I turned down an offer to reapply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I do understand that I only got to an interview, not an acceptance. Simply, will other schools know that I turned down an offer to reapply?
No if you turn down the interview
Yes if you got accepted then turned it down.
Why would you, anyway?

Hello people,

I recently received an invitation for an interview, and I was surprised to even get one for this cycle knowing that it is super late in the cycle. I was just wondering that assuming if I got the acceptance offer after the interview, what are some complications if I reject the offer? I do understand that after rejecting the offer at this point in the cycle will hinder me from applying to this school ever again, but will there be other adverse effects to my admissions for the upcoming cycle? Will other schools know that I rejected the offer?
what school?
and why would you possibly reject the offer if given?

No if you turn down the interview
Yes if you got accepted then turned it down.
Why would you, anyway?
Actually, we shouldn't know unless you matriculated (started dental school beyond orientation). Many people turn down acceptances, especially early on in the process. We would know when matriculation lists are finalized and sent to the National Student Clearinghouse.

Agreeing with everyone, there's no harm in taking your interview if you don't have an offer in hand. If they decide to accept you, then you can choose your fate.

I got an interview from CWRU, but after hours of research, I only got to see “bad” or toxic stuff about the school and its administrations. High faculty turnover rates, non-collaborative student community, and the fact that the school is sending out interviews until this late in the cycle already puts me a red flag into the school. Even alumni to this school said that if he could change one thing back in time, he wouldnt have applied and attended this school. With countless con’s of this school and literally zero pro, I am debating whether i should attend the interview or not

I got an interview from CWRU, but after hours of research, I only got to see “bad” or toxic stuff about the school and its administrations. High faculty turnover rates, non-collaborative student community, and the fact that the school is sending out interviews until this late in the cycle already puts me a red flag into the school. Even alumni to this school said that if he could change one thing back in time, he wouldnt have applied and attended this school. With countless con’s of this school and literally zero pro, I am debating whether i should attend the interview or not
If you have done this much digging and decided you would not want to attend this school, then I guess it's better to reapply and not have it on your school list for 2024-2025

As I have been preparing my better or more competitive application for this upcoming cycle, I am leaning more towards reapplying rather chasing an acceptance. Since turning down an acceptance offer would be significantly bad for my app when reapplying, should I just decline the interview before the interview date?

If you only got one interview this cycle, what are you going to do to significantly strengthen your application for next cycle? If you haven’t changed significantly, why would you expect a different outcome? What if you get zero interviews next cycle? Are you going to regret not pursuing this opportunity?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
I guarantee that I have made a significant difference in my application regarding extracurricular activities and personal statement.

Just as a reminder of past advice

It is your only interview, so I guess it's up to you on whether you want to use this as practice for the next cycle or not. What was your Casper result?

I guarantee that I have made a significant difference in my application regarding extracurricular activities and personal statement.
I could be wrong, but I would imagine that improving only these 2 criteria won't put you over the hump to be invited for more interviews.

I could be wrong, but I would imagine that improving only these 2 criteria won't put you over the hump to be invited for more interviews.
OP has good stats, look at their previous posts...

Hate to break it to you, but every single school has problems. Dental school's have administrations that love power but also have to abide by the optics of the greater University. Believe me, they will say one thing and do another.

Your goal should be to get in to a (hopefully not $400K school), work hard and learn, graduate, and never look back. The school wants you for your money. You should want the school for the little piece of paper at the end that allows you to legally work in the US as a dentist. It's the cold reality but it's the truth

Reactions: 8 users
Just to give you guys an update, I withdrew my application before the interview. Some may say I made the dumbest mistake, but I am confident that I can make a positive result in the next cycle. Regardless of how it would turn out, I understand it is my responsibility to guide myself out through this journey Whoever says I’m dumb please go on ur way too.

*withdrawing my app before the interview won’t have bad effects on my app in the next cycle, correct?

Reactions: 1 users
Just to give you guys an update, I withdrew my application before the interview. Some may say I made the dumbest mistake, but I am confident that I can make a positive result in the next cycle. Regardless of how it would turn out, I understand it is my responsibility to guide myself out through this journey Whoever says I’m dumb please go on ur way too.

*withdrawing my app before the interview won’t have bad effects on my app in the next cycle, correct?
Only at the school where you withdrew.

Hate to break it to you, but every single school has problems. Dental school's have administrations that love power but also have to abide by the optics of the greater University. Believe me, they will say one thing and do another.

Your goal should be to get in to a (hopefully not $400K school), work hard and learn, graduate, and never look back. The school wants you for your money. You should want the school for the little piece of paper at the end that allows you to legally work in the US as a dentist. It's the cold reality but it's the truth
I was just about to mention this. I will say I was informed of many "issues" with the program from my friends that graduated before I got in, but none of it complicated my desire to learn. After wrapping up my third year next week, I honestly love the program I am at right now and wouldn't trade my experiences here for the world despite what I was told. I wouldn't focus on those opinions as a deciding factor because for the most part, your education is what you make it. The people having a difficult time will make it known for the most part and you'll hear a lot of the "bad" going on. It's subjective, maybe some of the people saying the bad things about the program have always gotten what they wanted and have never been told no. I'm only speaking on behalf of my experience in school, not everyone else.

To give some insight about me, my kind of work ethic is more of being a hard worker and "no one will outwork me" type of mentality. I was a 3.0 student in high school and a 3.4 in undergrad. I guess I was a slacker in the classroom growing up, but I've also been independent since I was 17 (I'm 25 now) and didn't have the support at home to even go to college. It wasn't until dental school when I found out I love to learn so I didn't have the "gunner" mindset coming in. Long story short, I am doing the best I have ever done in school and am currently in a position to specialize. I even help other students (those aspiring to specialize or not) as much as I can because I knew what it felt like to struggle, only hoping to make it a better experience for them. Those professors I heard bad things about before starting school ended up being my favorite mentors and have taught me the most. Are there some things I don't like about the school? Sure, but I don't focus on any of that because it is out of my control. I am just grateful to be there after only applying that school and being waitlisted my first cycle. All of this yapping just for me to tell you dental school is going to be "toxic" anywhere. Not just with faculty, but also within your future class. I could probably find a few people in my class right now that don't have anything positive to say about the program we're at which is a shame.

I just read that you withdrew after typing all of that. I wish you the best of luck and hope my response is helpful for when you apply again.

Reactions: 2 users
I was just about to mention this. I will say I was informed of many "issues" with the program from my friends that graduated before I got in, but none of it complicated my desire to learn. After wrapping up my third year next week, I honestly love the program I am at right now and wouldn't trade my experiences here for the world despite what I was told. I wouldn't focus on those opinions as a deciding factor because for the most part, your education is what you make it. The people having a difficult time will make it known for the most part and you'll hear a lot of the "bad" going on. It's subjective, maybe some of the people saying the bad things about the program have always gotten what they wanted and have never been told no. I'm only speaking on behalf of my experience in school, not everyone else.

To give some insight about me, my kind of work ethic is more of being a hard worker and "no one will outwork me" type of mentality. I was a 3.0 student in high school and a 3.4 in undergrad. I guess I was a slacker in the classroom growing up, but I've also been independent since I was 17 (I'm 25 now) and didn't have the support at home to even go to college. It wasn't until dental school when I found out I love to learn so I didn't have the "gunner" mindset coming in. Long story short, I am doing the best I have ever done in school and am currently in a position to specialize. I even help other students (those aspiring to specialize or not) as much as I can because I knew what it felt like to struggle, only hoping to make it a better experience for them. Those professors I heard bad things about before starting school ended up being my favorite mentors and have taught me the most. Are there some things I don't like about the school? Sure, but I don't focus on any of that because it is out of my control. I am just grateful to be there after only applying that school and being waitlisted my first cycle. All of this yapping just for me to tell you dental school is going to be "toxic" anywhere. Not just with faculty, but also within your future class. I could probably find a few people in my class right now that don't have anything positive to say about the program we're at which is a shame.

I just read that you withdrew after typing all of that. I wish you the best of luck and hope my response is helpful for when you apply again.
this is one of the best posts i have ever read on this site...