Rush vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winniedogs

Reaction score
Hi! I'm trying to decide between Rush and VCU. I was originally waitlisted at both schools but was accepted off the waitlist at Rush a few months ago and just got off the waitlist at VCU a few days ago. I have a week to decide. I'm originally from NY and have not had the chance to visit either school in person and I am not sure I'll have time before the week deadline. Financially, there is not much of a difference between the two schools for me. I'm not set on any particular specialty, but as of now I could see myself doing EM but not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rush
Pros
  • Smaller class size/tight-knit community
  • A lot of student support (I like their EXPLORE Rush Program that matches you with a mentor in a specialty you may be interested in)
  • P/F with (I think) no internal ranking
  • No undergraduate school
  • Service/mission oriented

Cons
  • I've lived in NYC for a few years now and I kind of wanted a change from that urban environment
  • I'm not a fan of NYC's public transit system and I am a little worried I won't like Chicago's.
  • I don't have any family close to the region (distant relatives and friends though)

VCU
Pros
  • I like their longitudinal courses (like their courses on ultrasounds and telehealth)
  • Ranked slightly higher than Rush (but I don't know if rank is that important to me)
  • Family nearby (~1.5-2 hour drive away)
  • Smaller city
  • Probably will have a car if I go there so no need to rely on public transit

Cons
  • I am a colder weather person, so a bit worried about the warmer weather/humidity
  • Not really an outdoorsy person and seems like most of the activities in the area surround that
  • Undergraduate school
  • P/F but with an Internal ranking and a special distinction for 92% average
  • Bigger class size

Summary: To me, it seems like the schools are the same tier academically and financially, so I am kind of at a standstill. I'm not sure what should be "the thing" that tilts me one way or the other. I'm grateful to have even gotten into one school, so I'm certainly appreciative to even have a decision to make, but I could use some help with the short deadline! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So Richmond is a small-medium sized city so there will still be alot of activities for you, not necessarily outdoors. The undergraduate school is like a 15 minute drive from the med campus too so you'll be separated. It does seem, however, that you seem to prefer Chicago based on your background.

Where do you want to end up matching in the end? VCU will match better on the east coast and Rush will match better in Chicago/midwest.

So Richmond is a small-medium sized city so there will still be alot of activities for you, not necessarily outdoors. The undergraduate school is like a 15 minute drive from the med campus too so you'll be separated. It does seem, however, that you seem to prefer Chicago based on your background.

Where do you want to end up matching in the end? VCU will match better on the east coast and Rush will match better in Chicago/midwest.
I'm not necessarily tied to matching in a specific location. I'm going to be one of the last of my family to move out of NY, so not necessarily committed on matching back here.

I'm not necessarily tied to matching in a specific location. I'm going to be one of the last of my family to move out of NY, so not necessarily committed on matching back here.
follow the vibes then. Chicago is the more urban area but Richmond is a great place to live. Really nice arts/music scene here with great shopping malls and lots of good restaurants. The weather is (imo) perfect and doesn't get too hot or too cold. We have all four seasons and D.C. is only a short drive away.