School error caused IS applicant to be classified as OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saltypapaya

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wanting to know what your thoughts are about my situation. I'm an IS applicant to a big state school and am currently waitlisted there. I recently found out that I have been classified as an OOS applicant throughout the entire admissions process. Mind you, all the other schools I've applied to in this state have classified me as an IS applicant. I've reached out to the school and they have informed me that this cannot be changed until/unless I am admitted, after which I can change my status to IS once school starts. The admissions dept has said that IS vs. OOS will not affect me chance of getting an acceptance... but I have to wonder. While the school accepts approx. half IS and OOS students, many many more students are applying from OOS.

What are your thoughts? I find it hard to believe that this absolutely cannot be changed prior to (potential) matriculation, and also find it hard to believe it wouldn't affect my chance of admittance in the slightest.

Thoughts much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The black box is how the program manages their IS/OOS ratio by policy. I'm sure mistakes happen so I can't completely believe things are etched in stone... but it can happen if the waitlists are fixed by committee vote (and thus cannot be changed without a full committee vote).

I only have three words left to say: trust the process.

Reactions: 2 users
If they say that IS/OOS doesn't matter at this point, don't automatically conclude that they are lying. As noted above, trust the process.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you both for the insight! Much appreciated :)

Reactions: 1 user