School is shutting down my email that is attached to all of my med school apps, what do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCerebralAssassin

Reaction score
My former university is shutting down all alumni email accounts to cut costs. As such, I am freaking out because I have all of my medical school applications attached to that email. Has anybody else experienced this situation and if so, what do you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you can update your email on your AMCAS so that all future correspondence goes to a different email.

Reactions: 1 user
Email addresses are updatable in all application services.

edit/PS: Back up all your photos and files in your cloud drives before your account shuts down. (Thanks Google for Education.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you can update your email on your AMCAS so that all future correspondence goes to a different email.
So if I just updated the email in AMCAS, and lets say I already had an interview with a medical school, they will send the admission decision to the new email?

I would check with your former school to see if they'll do email forwarding. I'm surprised that an email service provider would do that without significant notice.

Reactions: 2 users
So if I just updated the email in AMCAS, and lets say I already had an interview with a medical school, they will send the admission decision to the new email?
It depends on the application management portal, but you should get a decision through your new email. Trust but verify.

Yep, just went through this. Updating it on AMCAS works but make sure you re-submit your application so it saves

Reactions: 1 user