Special Masters with DO Linkage? Or Take my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DuxAnthony

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received acceptance to local special masters program. As long as I do well, I'll link to their DO program (with good reputation) next year. It's 30K, though. My original undergrad GPA is 2.2, but 18 years as a paramedic later (age 40 now) and going back to school retaking sciences and non-sciences with a 3.7, so new GPA is 2.8, and MCAT 508.

Thoughts on my chances. Upward trend and work experience is great (and research and volunteer), but is my application going to even be looked at or get interviews?

So take my chances applying regular this June (and potentially get lower tier MD) and spend this next year working and pay off more of my huge credit card debt (40K)? Or pay 30K + living expenses while I do a year of masters, but have some security in that I can go to this local DO school next year (with good rep, think one list had it top of mid tier).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a Touro masters student. It is VERY difficult to matriculate thru the program. Your MCAT and recent gpa are fine, what you should do before committing is reach out specifically to a few med schools you're interested in and explain your situation. See what they have to say about your GPA and if you'll be screened out or not. Definitely worth asking before dumping 30k into a masters you may not need

Members don't see this ad :)
tbh the masters program doesnt seem worth it for TUCOM, there are better schools out there with better linkages. the vibes were off when I toured the area. :(

IMO, these types of programs are predatory and just want your money. Get good grades on your own and get feedback from your app from SDN for free. Your MCAT is solid for a lot of DO and some MD programs as well. Might as well shoot your shot.

Reactions: 1 user
I received acceptance to local special masters program. As long as I do well, I'll link to their DO program (with good reputation) next year. It's 30K, though. My original undergrad GPA is 2.2, but 18 years as a paramedic later (age 40 now) and going back to school retaking sciences and non-sciences with a 3.7, so new GPA is 2.8, and MCAT 508.

Thoughts on my chances. Upward trend and work experience is great (and research and volunteer), but is my application going to even be looked at or get interviews?

So take my chances applying regular this June (and potentially get lower tier MD) and spend this next year working and pay off more of my huge credit card debt (40K)? Or pay 30K + living expenses while I do a year of masters, but have some security in that I can go to this local DO school next year (with good rep, think one list had it top of mid tier).
What are your year by year GPAs?

I'm worried that your GPA will get you screened out by tons of schools.

Luckily, Wayne State isn't one of the and they value reinvention.

What are your year by year GPAs?

I'm worried that your GPA will get you screened out by tons of schools.

Luckily, Wayne State isn't one of the and they value reinvention.

Undergrad: 2001-2005
Freshman 2.38
Sophomore 2.67
Junior 1.8
Senior 2.31
Overall 2.28

1999 to 2006 transcript of 8 random classes (from biotech to history) for personal interest (high school, college summers, immediately post college) - GPA 2.76

Single classes taken (unless noted)
2007 - allied health class 3.0
2008 - anatomy 3.0
2009 - 36 units of paramedic school - 4.0
2012 - pathology - pass

2013 to 2017 post bacc courses 1 to 4 classes per quarter
(mix of STEM and Communications) at community college
2013 3.5
2014 3.7
2015 2.9 (C in ochem 2)
2016 3.6
2017 3.7

Then upgraded to leadership roles in volunteer and research, then covid hit and I paused premed stuff, until now, not feeling like my transcript was good enough to apply places.

The interviewer at SMP said it all totaled to 2.8
MCAT 508

Your perspective and advice is appreciated.