Submitting LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmer101

Reaction score
What is the process like if you were to submit a 5th Letter of Evaluation outside of the application. How would you do it and is there a standard way? (Should I reach out to each school’s admissions once the application opens and ask?)

I read somewhere on Studentdocnet, but a post in 2011 that it may not necessarily be frowned upon but can annoy admissions, which can do the opposite of benefiting your application. Have you guys heard anything about this?

If you were to choose between a committee letter, a strong letter from Orgo professor, and strong letter from a liberal arts writing & research professor what would you do? (more choosing between the last two) My idea was that the orgo professor would be on the application and the writing professor can submit hers externally in a different way. I just feel horrible telling the professor she can’t submit after she has worked on it for a lot of time.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the process like if you were to submit a 5th Letter of Evaluation outside of the application. How would you do it and is there a standard way? (Should I reach out to each school’s admissions once the application opens and ask?)

I read somewhere on Studentdocnet, but a post in 2011 that it may not necessarily be frowned upon but can annoy admissions, which can do the opposite of benefiting your application. Have you guys heard anything about this?

If you were to choose between a committee letter, a strong letter from Orgo professor, and strong letter from a liberal arts writing & research professor what would you do? (more choosing between the last two) My idea was that the orgo professor would be on the application and the writing professor can submit hers externally in a different way. I just feel horrible telling the professor she can’t submit after she has worked on it for a lot of time.
Committee letters should be able to include additional letters. Ask your committee.

From when I spoke to the committee they survey all of my professors and they write something up themselves. I don’t think they include each professors full survey that they fill out but more quotes that they may have mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
From when I spoke to the committee they survey all of my professors and they write something up themselves. I don’t think they include each professors full survey that they fill out but more quotes that they may have mentioned.
Every committee makes specific choices in how they organize their committee letter.

In AADSAS, you can submit one committee letter and one extra solicited letter. You can always use that independent letter spot, but make sure.

I understand what you are saying. I was planning on having the committee letter as well as the 2 other letters. And I was wondering which I should take.

I understand what you are saying. I was planning on having the committee letter as well as the 2 other letters. And I was wondering which I should take.
Whichever one you feel provides you the stronger letter based on their perspective and relationship with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly both would be very strong. One of them was my professor for Orgo 1 and 2 and the other was a professor for one semester for a writing research class. Do you think schools take into account the difficulty and type of course. I also know there are very few schools that need a liberal arts professor. Would that professor just email them?

• Hmm
Honestly both would be very strong. ... Do you think schools take into account the difficulty and type of course. I also know there are very few schools that need a liberal arts professor. Would that professor just email them?
Your "research writing" professor is a "liberal arts" professor? Just clarifying... I know many science courses that would focus on research writing.

For the rest of the question: yeah, the professor could email the admissions office, but we also would junk it because it didn't come through "official" channels. Letters from professors need to come with an assurance of FERPA being waived, or else they technically shouldn't be writing you such a strong letter.

My general advice in this situation: based on your references already in hand with your committee letter, pick one that you feel complements what is available and have that person submit the independent letter to AADSAS. The second reference you can send after you have an interview at a school (where you ask if they accept post-interview letters... if so, how).

Yes it was a liberal arts class called AWR 201. The class was called Writing & Research. It’s a requirement to graduate so I’m assuming it’s a general english class you would take at other schools.

That’s a great idea in terms of asking after the interview. Do you think schools prefer seeing from certain subjects or it makes a difference the “more important” the class is. So in my case it would be deciding between those two.

Also I definetly would not see that letter. How would the professor ensure to those schools that it was FERPA waived