Taking Prerequisites at Another University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadingshampoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current freshman bio major who wants to go home and take Physics 1&2 w/Lab and Calc 2 at a local 4 year university (an extremely large huge difference in ranking from my undergraduate though, think ~180 spots ranks different) this summer. Would this harm my chances at a T20 USMD, any USMD, or any USDO school in general? For context, I used AP credit for intro bio+intro chem+calculus 1+a basics stats course. I am planning to take upper level bio (biochem 1, immunology, evolution, maybe cell bio, maybe genetics, 3-4 other bio classes, bio lab, either analytical chem or inorganic chem w/lab, orgo 1 and 2, anatomy, physiology, biostatistics, and an upper level biophysics at my university. However, I'm a bit worried because I already AP'ed out of my prereqs and even though I'm planning to replace those with upper levels at my university, I don't want it to be a red flag if I take 3 courses at my local university. Do you think this would be an issue? If it would be, is it better to take the courses at my university and get Bs in them or get As in them at my four year (obviously, nothing is set in stone, but based on past grade distributions those would be the likely outcomes). I don't know if GPA would take precedence or if taking everything at your 4 year is the best bet.

Also, another reason I'm worried is even though the physics class I'm planning to take is in the physics department, it is not approved as an sGPA class in the TMDAS system (looking at the pre-approved courses they have listed for my university), so I don't know how it would work in the AMCAS system.

Members don't see this ad.

I did it, it went fine. Try to get As in all classes, don't sell yourself short with grade distributions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did it, it went fine. Try to get As in all classes, don't sell yourself short with grade distributions.
Great, thank you so much for letting me know! If you don't mind me asking, how many prereqs did you take at another university? And yep, I'll definitely try my best to get As.

How did your first semester grades shape up?
I did 15 credits this semester with a 4.0. sGPA wise, I completed Ochem 1 and another lab-based science class (not a core prereq though).

I did 15 credits this semester with a 4.0. sGPA wise, I completed Ochem 1 and another lab-based science class (not a core prereq though).
Good job.

Physics has become less important over the years, it isn't even really tested on the MCAT anymore. Take it wherever, no one will care. Same goes for calc 2.

Inorganic chemistry and analytical chemistry would both be wastes of your time. Good courses for medical school are cell/molecular bio, immunology, genetics, anatomy, physiology, histology, biostats. And don't forget to load up on non-science classes. They'll make you a more interesting person.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users