UCLA Medical School in Crisis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonfuture

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Reaction score
I am a faculty member at UCLA and while this is my first post I think everyone will quickly understand why I want to remain anonymous. I also realize that when someone posts something like this as their first post everyone should be openly skeptical of the post and try to understand what motives the poster has. My motives are simple, I think the administration at UCLA medical school have made some major changes to the curriculum that are detrimental to the medical school and the students. If you are applying to UCLA just ask the students and you can decide for myself if there is any truth in what I am posting.

A few years ago the medical school made some major changes to the curriculum, essentially the two preclinical years were cut down to one year. For those of us who went through medical school these two years are difficult and there is a great deal to learn in this time. The thought was to cut out the waste and focus on the key topics, I can say without a doubt this has been a colossal failure. The residents and faculty I work with have noticed a dramatic decrease in the knowledge of the medical students since this change. Most medical schools still have two years of pre-clinical curriculum and then as a third year student you start your clinical rotations and then the 4th year is primarily based on specialty rotations and applying to your chosen field. While many people can argue if this is the ideal model for teaching medical students, I can tell you with certainty it is better than what UCLA has done. UCLA decided to cram the two years of pre-clinical courses into one year. Then the 2nd year students do their clinical rotations, the third year is an “discovery year” where students can do anything they want and then they return as 4th year students for the typical 4th year rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
My sense from talking to the UCLA students is there is so much material to learn in one year that it is overwhelming so many students just don’t even try. When you add in that none of the preclinical courses are graded it is easy to understand why the majority of the UCLA students don’t study because there is no obvious need to open a text book. The end result is many students don’t learn the basics in their preclinical years. This is readily apparent when we talk to the students in the hospital that they don’t know even the basics. I have also asked the students basic cardiac physiology and they don’t know any of it or they don’t understand the purpose of common lab tests which every patient gets.

I think this explains why we have such a high failure rate on the step 1 exam at UCLA currently. I have heard from multiple students that about 50 MS3 are planning to take a one year leave of absence to study for and try to pass step 1. This is in addition to the discovery year so they have take 2 years away from clinical rotation to study for step exams. I have never heard of this many students needing to take a leave to study for a fairly easy exam. Another issue is for these 50 students, how in the world are they going to be successful when they return to the MS4 year and try to be successful on sub-internships rotations. The performance on these rotations are extremely important for matching into residencies and with a two year gap from clinical work the students are going to struggle greatly.

In most medical school you take Step 1 at the end of your preclinical classes and before you start your clinical rotations since Step 1 tests topics covered in your preclinical classes. Recently the administration of the medical school made a presentation to the faculty and only 49% of 3rd year UCLA students have taken Step 1 as of January 2024. This is a shockingly low number and it suggests that a large percentage of the class is worried about failing the exam. This is even more concerning since it is a pass fail exam, a school that is supposedly a top 10 medical school should have an extremely small number of students who can’t pass this exam which has a high pass rate.

Even more concerning is their performance on the shelf exams during the clinical year. After every rotation (ie peds, surgery, IM) the students take a national exam that tests the material from the rotation. To pass this exam you need to score in 5% of all students in the county who take this exam. It is a fairly low bar that one would think everyone could pass. I was shocked to see the data recently from the medical school, close to 50% of UCLA students have failed one of these exams. In addition 24% of the current 3rd year UCLA students have failed one of the shelf exams more than three times. For these 24% of students this will show up in their deans letter that is part of their application for residency programs. This one issue will prevent these students from matching into a specialty that is even remotely competitive or even in a less competitive specialty at a good program.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I think this is proof that the new curriculum is not working and the students are grossly unprepared for clinical rotations. This information is getting out to the residency programs and one of the local residency programs who used to take the less competitive UCLA students has stopped interviewing our students because they have had negative experiences with the poor performance of some of the UCLA graduates recently who matched into their program. This is becoming a problem for even our top students because since UCLA is a pass fail school the top students can’t distinguish themselves from the many students who are struggling, so residency programs just have to assume every UCLA student is struggling.

Many residency programs use Step 2 scores as a screening tool to decide who to interview. This presents a problem for many of the UCLA students that I mentor because the questions for step 2 are the exact same questions as used in the shelf exams that many of our students are failing. So for the 50% of UCLA students who failed one of the shelf exams, it is going to be close to impossible to get a high score on Step 2.

So my primary motive of posting this is I hope to publicize these issues with the hope of getting the attention of the administration at the school. The Faculty Executive Committee is an elected body of faculty at UCLA that have oversight over the medical school. This committee has been trying to address this issue for the last three years because numerous faculty are as concerned as I am that a school that we all love is falling apart. The administration has ignored the concerns of the faculty who actually work with their students in the hospital and this change has been highly detrimental to the UCLA students. It hurts me greatly when I meet with a UCLA student and I have to tell them they will never match into my specialty. When they came to UCLA they were told it was a top school and it would open doors for them, usually by the time they figure it out that it is not true, it is too late.

UCLA used to be a great school that has trained many excellent physicians and I hope we can change course and return to the high quality school that I knew previously.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fascinating read for sure. My question to you is: how does UCLA's one year pre-clinical differ from other schools that have been quite successful? Schools like Vanderbilt, Michigan, Duke have been quite successful and I don't think they are facing the same issues you mentioned. Not to mention majority of schools now do 1.5 years which is not as condensed but still has been hugely successful.

UCLA was reaccredited in 2021 and isn't up for review again until 2028-29. This could be a major issue at that time if the school does not change course. In the meantime, if what is posted here is true, it does create a concern for students considering an offer from UCLA.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
This was the nail in the coffin for me to drop my acceptance. I was hearing bits of this over the past few months, but seeing it all laid out like this is really concerning. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Also, it seems like they ran out of a ton of their scholarship funding. It’s crazy that UCLA costs nearly $500,000 dollars (tuition + COA) over four years (for OOS students).

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 6 users
Other med schools have shortened the pre clinical years aswell, my med school did granted it was not short as one year however (top 30 US MD)

It’s simply not enough time to learn that much information. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone, and mine was less than two years but longer than one year.

Reactions: 2 users
@jasonfuture I appreciate the time you took to share your perspective as a faculty member.
I think many schools are shortening the preclinical years to 18 months, not so many cutting down to 12 months like yours.
Maybe this is in response to med students saying “we want to be in clinics sooner”, and I see so many posts on SDN from premeds wanting to go to a school that has “student-run clinics”.
What always goes through my mind is “How do you expect to treat patients at a student-run clinic before understanding human physiology, common disorders or diseases, and pharmacology?”
Time spent cementing this knowledge in the preclinical years is really important, in my opinion.

Reactions: 10 users
Posts like these make me wish the standards for accreditation included transparency and standardization in data from schools regarding match rates and types and how many students match to what # choice and what preference of specialty + step 1/2 pass rates

Reactions: 5 users
To be fair to the administration, curriculum change takes a long time and a lot of sign-offs. I would be interested how internal data measure effectiveness of the new curriculum since that is required for accreditation.

Discussion of the new curriculum began in 2017 so accreditation visitors likely got preliminary insight of the timeline to implementation.

I'm also rather certain that the LCME would appreciate progress reports about the curriculum during its full credentialed period.

Last edited:
Posts like these make me wish the standards for accreditation included transparency and standardization in data from schools regarding match rates and types and how many students match to what # choice and what preference of specialty + step 1/2 pass rates
I believe they're requiring some of this for the 2025 or 2026 match

• Wow
I believe they're mandating some of this for the 2025 or 2026 match
Hopefully! As someone who is pretty set on going to a school that famously has that one year preclinical I am a bit nervous now and would love to see detailed outcome data for it's students

Reactions: 1 user
I am a faculty member at UCLA and while this is my first post I think everyone will quickly understand why I want to remain anonymous. I also realize that when someone posts something like this as their first post everyone should be openly skeptical of the post and try to understand what motives the poster has. My motives are simple, I think the administration at UCLA medical school have made some major changes to the curriculum that are detrimental to the medical school and the students. If you are applying to UCLA just ask the students and you can decide for myself if there is any truth in what I am posting.

A few years ago the medical school made some major changes to the curriculum, essentially the two preclinical years were cut down to one year. For those of us who went through medical school these two years are difficult and there is a great deal to learn in this time. The thought was to cut out the waste and focus on the key topics, I can say without a doubt this has been a colossal failure. The residents and faculty I work with have noticed a dramatic decrease in the knowledge of the medical students since this change. Most medical schools still have two years of pre-clinical curriculum and then as a third year student you start your clinical rotations and then the 4th year is primarily based on specialty rotations and applying to your chosen field. While many people can argue if this is the ideal model for teaching medical students, I can tell you with certainty it is better than what UCLA has done. UCLA decided to cram the two years of pre-clinical courses into one year. Then the 2nd year students do their clinical rotations, the third year is an “discovery year” where students can do anything they want and then they return as 4th year students for the typical 4th year rotations.

I was not part of the committee that decided to make this change but I have a theory as to why the made a change in the curriculum. Before the new curriculum, every year 5-10% of the UCLA medical students struggled to pass step 1. Prior to this change many of these students were advised to take a year off to study exclusively for step 1. I have mentored a bunch of UCLA students who did this and it hurt their residency applications because programs wanted to know why they took this year off. I suspect that one of the reasons UCLA created this new curriculum is to provide that year for the students who can’t pass step 1 otherwise. While this might sound like a good idea the end result is the UCLA students are trying to learn everything in the pre-clinical classes in one year. It’s been awhile since I was in medical school but I remember the two years of pre-clinical courses I took were extremely difficulty and they took endless hours of studying to learn the material.
I honestly don’t think this is that terrible as long as the material in the curriculum is implemented correctly. My school has a 1.5 year of preclinical but I know of other schools that only have 1 year pre-clinical and they’ve adjusted well. I couldn’t imagine doing 2 years of preclinical. I was burnt out from preclinicals and sick of being in class by the end of my 1.5 years. Reading the rest of your posts though it seems like the curriculum needs to be more efficient and helpful for students. The changes they’ve made haven’t had a positive impact which speaks towards the curriculum Commitee being incompetent in implementing a good curriculum. The time constraint of 1 year may not be the larger problem here, it may be how they’re teaching the curriculum since they had problems before the change.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This information is getting out to the residency programs and one of the local residency programs who used to take the less competitive UCLA students has stopped interviewing our students because they have had negative experiences with the poor performance of some of the UCLA graduates recently who matched into their program.
Isn't it those who are matching in the most recent cycle still those students from the UCLA legacy curriculum? If the new curriculum is the issue, why would local PDs stop interviewing this more promising cohort of students? Thank you for sharing!

Can other UCLA students/faculty comment? This seems like a very "back in my day this was how we did it" post. For example, yes in 1 year pre-clinical programs, students will be behind during the clinical year clerkships. Not having the extra time and step 1 study is gonna make your knowledge base limited. However, from what I gather, taking step 1 after clinical year consolidates a lot of information and you can tie that into clinical application. At the end, people end up in a similar place when done right. Look at Harvard, Michigan, Duke, Vanderbilt, UT Austin.

• Hmm
Can other UCLA students/faculty comment? This seems like a very "back in my day this was how we did it" post. For example, yes in 1 year pre-clinical programs, students will be behind during the clinical year clerkships. Not having the extra time and step 1 study is gonna make your knowledge base limited. However, from what I gather, taking step 1 after clinical year consolidates a lot of information and you can tie that into clinical application. At the end, people end up in a similar place when done right. Look at Harvard, Michigan, Duke, Vanderbilt, UT Austin.
Pushing step 1 to after clinical year is terrible. It backloads the student and produces a lot of stress. You’re burdened with trying to retain step 1 knowledge with focusing on step 2 material for shelf exams while working crazy hours. It’s ridiculous. Our step 1 is at the end of our clerkships and it’s awful. They just decided to change it to back to before clerkships start.

Pushing step 1 to after clinical year is terrible. It backloads the student and produces a lot of stress. You’re burdened with trying to retain step 1 knowledge with focusing on step 2 material for shelf exams while working crazy hours. It’s ridiculous. Our step 1 is at the end of our clerkships and it’s awful. They just decided to change it to back to before clerkships start.

I'm not saying it's pleasant for students, but at the four year mark, I can see it being better for long term retention. It's pretty much-spaced repetition on steroids.

Wise @gyngyn @Med Ed what say you?
Once 18-month "single pass" pre-clinical curricula became all the rage it was only a matter of time. The schools that have historically pulled off 12-month pre-clinical curricula all have student bodies with insane metrics whose test scores would survive World War III. They also tend to do a lot of planned longitudinal integration, which is harder than it looks.

At this point I've seen more than a few academic affairs deans get a wild hair, push the latest fad through the curriculum committee, and then exit the institution, leaving everyone behind to try and make it work. The right move would be to admit defeat, revert as much of the curriculum as possible, and issue tuition refunds to make sure this never happens again.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Once 18-month "single pass" pre-clinical curricula became all the rage it was only a matter of time. The schools that have historically pulled off 12-month pre-clinical curricula all have student bodies with insane metrics whose test scores would survive World War III. They also tend to do a lot of planned longitudinal integration, which is harder than it looks.

At this point I've seen more than a few academic affairs deans get a wild hair, push the latest fad through the curriculum committee, and then exit the institution, leaving everyone behind to try and make it work. The right move would be to admit defeat, revert as much of the curriculum as possible, and issue tuition refunds to make sure this never happens again.
Humbling egos in medicine like that might cause WW3

I think this is proof that the new curriculum is not working and the students are grossly unprepared for clinical rotations. This information is getting out to the residency programs and one of the local residency programs who used to take the less competitive UCLA students has stopped interviewing our students because they have had negative experiences with the poor performance of some of the UCLA graduates recently who matched into their program. This is becoming a problem for even our top students because since UCLA is a pass fail school the top students can’t distinguish themselves from the many students who are struggling, so residency programs just have to assume every UCLA student is struggling.

Many residency programs use Step 2 scores as a screening tool to decide who to interview. This presents a problem for many of the UCLA students that I mentor because the questions for step 2 are the exact same questions as used in the shelf exams that many of our students are failing. So for the 50% of UCLA students who failed one of the shelf exams, it is going to be close to impossible to get a high score on Step 2. There are other areas that I think the school is failing the students.

It has gotten to the point that many faculty members have told me that they have stopped speaking with the students because their knowledge is so poor. Recently a surgeon was telling me a story, he said he will never talk to a UCLA student again and will just have them stand in the corner and watch because it is not worth the trouble. This surgeon used to teach multiple courses in the medical school and he used to tell me how he loved teaching students. The fact that he has stopped teaching course entirely and now will not even talk to the students in the OR shows how bad things have become.

So going back to the original question we started this long essay with, what are my motives and why am I taking the time to write this. It is simple, I want future applicants to understand that UCLA is in crisis and you should use caution in coming to UCLA currently. Be careful looking at the UCLA match list. I believe it is intentionally deceptive. For example about 7 UCLA students didn’t match into residency programs this year and their names don’t show up on the match list so no one knows they didn’t match. Even more concerning is I suspect a fair number of other students didn’t match into their chosen specialty. This is hidden on the match list because the list doesn’t distinguish between matching into a categorical program (ie the entire residency you need to complete) vs a prelim spot. The prelim positions are one year positions that are traditionally used by students who match into a specialty that needs one year of training before starting their specialty (derm, radiology, PMR). So if you didn’t match into PMR which is your goal but you got an internship in internal medicine which is basically guaranteed if you have a pulse since there are hundreds of unfilled prelim spots each year. In this situation on the UCLA match list it will show that you matched into an internal medicine program. Most match list I have seen over the years will say prelim next to the position in these situations, but I think UCLA intentionally leaves this info off so that people don’t know how many of our students didn’t match into a full residency program. Only matching into a prelim spot is a major problem because you will have to apply again the following year and it is typically more difficult to match the second time around and it will typically be in a less desirable field in an undesired location.

So my primary motive of posting this is I hope to publicize these issues with the hope of getting the attention of the administration at the school. The Faculty Executive Committee is an elected body of faculty at UCLA that have oversight over the medical school. This committee has been trying to address this issue for the last three years because numerous faculty are as concerned as I am that a school that we all love is falling apart. The administration has ignored the concerns of the faculty who actually work with their students in the hospital and this change has been highly detrimental to the UCLA students. It hurts me greatly when I meet with a UCLA student and I have to tell them they will never match into my specialty. When they came to UCLA they were told it was a top school and it would open doors for them, usually by the time they figure it out that it is not true, it is too late.

UCLA used to be a great school that has trained many excellent physicians and I hope we can change course and return to the high quality school that I knew previously.
My question is, looking at the 2024 match list, I am seeing quite a few IM matches (to be fair, IM is a specialty many ppl do deliberately apply to) but looking at where they're matching, it's some pretty top tier names (UCSF, Mass Gen, UCLA med center - but granted I'm sure UCLA med center would be more in favor of taking UCLA students regardless of what's going on). Back to my question, how is this the case when there's SO much going wrong with students' academic performance?

Only place I see that might take ppl with a pulse for IM prelim is Alameda Health System. I'm not read up enough to know for sure tho

They implemented the new curriculum in August 2021 it seems.. so would this current match list be from the legacy curriculum? Since they would have begun in 2020.

• Wow

Let's not jump the gun from one person's review. To repeat, I think we should corroborate this story instead of blindly trusting the account of 1 new member who could be a faculty member limited in their knowledge of med school curriculum and expectations (e.g. as mentioned, being behind in basic science 2nd year clinical rotations as compared to 3rd year clinical students does not mean you will be behind as a clinical physician). It is understandable to want anonymity and create a new account and I'm not faulting them for that but also keep in mind that you can claim to be whoever you want to on the internet, especially with a new account. Could be a disgruntled student at UCLA, or an applicant on the waitlist hoping to discourage people from going to get off the WL.

It reminds me of when I was rounding with students and one student didn't like the questions I was asking them, and it later turned out that they created fake accounts and gave me bad patient reviews. 20 years later and it was then revealed that I made this story up.

I'm not saying what OP said is fake, but would like to see the story supported by other accounts.

Let's not jump the gun from one person's review. To repeat, I think we should corroborate this story instead of blindly trusting the account of 1 new member who could be a faculty member limited in their knowledge of med school curriculum and expectations (e.g. as mentioned, being behind in basic science 2nd year clinical rotations as compared to 3rd year clinical students does not mean you will be behind as a clinical physician). It is understandable to want anonymity and create a new account and I'm not faulting them for that but also keep in mind that you can claim to be whoever you want to on the internet, especially with a new account. Could be a disgruntled student at UCLA, or an applicant on the waitlist hoping to discourage people from going to get off the WL.

It reminds me of when I was rounding with students and one student didn't like the questions I was asking them, and it later turned out that they created fake accounts and gave me bad patient reviews. 20 years later and it was then revealed that I made this story up.

I'm not saying what OP said is fake, but would like to see the story supported by other accounts.
Thing is, UCLA isn't the only school tinkering with this model right now, and the issues described track with experiences reported elsewhere.

Also, I'm old, and kind of jaded, and I'll jump to conclusions if I feel like it.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hello! UCLA med student here. Currently in clerkship year (with no failed shelves - yay).

Actually interrupting my shelf studying to comment bc I wouldn’t want prospective students to judge off a paranoia post. I think there is a lot of worry about the curriculum change so wanted to give my thoughts (yk as an actual student).

A lot of the scare comes from the first class - they admittedly struggled more with shelves, but within a year we’ve seen a decrease in failed NBME exams. I worked in med Ed prior and my supervisor (a chair at T10 med school) had warned me that any curriculum changes takes a minimum 3-5 years to become solidified, so I attribute the struggle of the first class to it being the first year rather than I do the curriculum change.

I’ve passed all my shelves thus far above the 5th percentile passing threshold. I’ve actually spoken with my residents that they wish they had this structure bc they would prioritize their shelf studying over clinical duties in their third year to get honors, whereas I feel like I really got to dive into my role as part of the care team in the hospital, take great care of my patients, and study to get a good foundation but not kill myself to get in the 90th percentile.

I’ve had faculty and residents say that I am appropriate for where I should be for a student in clerkship year, some even more surprised of my foundation of knowledge after 1 year. And an MS3 who is making up a clerkship has commented that they noticed our class seems significantly more prepared than their class was after just one year of curricular changes.

I do think that part of my success is using 3rd party resources over just lecture in the first year, (((but this is a trend for many of my peers at other schools with the traditional 2 year curriculum))). I cannot comment on step 1 and 2 since I haven’t taken it, but those of my peers in the class above me that have, have all passed. UCLAs curriculum won’t cover all step 1 material (we didn’t do biochem or immuno), but our academic resource team is very good about strategizing with students how to cover the holes and prep for step.

Big picture: there’s def room for improvement (as is expected of a new curriculum), but I don’t think the 1 year curriculum is a failure. I DO think you have to be an independent learner - there’s no requirement for when to take step 1 before sub-Is and if you think you’d benefit from more structure, then UCLA may not be the school for you. But if you (like myself) learn best from application rather than textbook studying and use real life rather than lectures to learn then I think youll be fine!

Hope this helps

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Hello, current MS3, class of 2025. Currently studying for Step 2, passed Step 1 in October during the time the school allotted for us which was post clerkships. Passed all in house exams and shelf exams. Couple of things I would like to address:

1. I think the problem within the first year curriculum is that there is too much emphasize on in-house material. Luckily, I used third-party resources and ditched all in-house stuff early on. However, our in-house exams are a joke. They are ridiculously easy, average on these exams is around 85-90s. The course chairs will often reuse the same questions from our practice quizzes on our actual exam. I saw a significant drop in how much my peers were studying once we all realized these exams were not difficult to pass. These courses are also taught by the some of the same faculty that call us dumb on rotations lol (maybe this is more reflective of your teaching buddy?). There are no NBME style questions during MS1 year, no consolidation of material. You finish one block and move on to the next, never to touch that material again. We learn everything in isolation and nothing together. No cumulative exams. We aren't taught how to connect disease processes or pathophys together. Even for those of us who used third party resources to learn the material...there was no way to test this knowledge because the in-house exams were a joke. Even if the school is too cheap to buy NBME exams for every block, the least they could have done is force us to take step 1 post preclincal year or write better exams. In fact, the school DISCOURAGED us from taking step 1 at the end of MS1. By the time student's get to clerkships and take shelf exams, it is our first exposure to NBME style questions. It is the first time we are seeing questions presented in a multisystem, multidisciplinary way. Which is not our fault, and just sad.

2. Admin at UCLA is very corrupt and bureaucratic. There is DGSOM and we have a dean of the medical school and then there is the UCLA Health System and they have a Vice Chancellor. There is a lot of ambiguity of the position of UCLA Health as both an academic and a commercial entity. But the truth is, the Vice Chancellor essentially overrides the medical school dean, so much so that after bullying the former dean out of the job, he handpicked and selected our new dean. With no say from faculty or students. This new dean is essentially a "yes-man". It is so difficult to get administration to do anything about ANYTHING because of this weird dynamic. Our dean of education was also bullied out of this corrupt system. All UCLA Health System cares about is generating as much money as possible, and now at the expensive of the medical student experience and education. From issues with curriculum, to issues with getting the hospital to accept publicly-insured patients, this all falls under the Vice Chancellor. It is an abuse of power. This has caused so much tension within faculty and admin that everything seems hopeless. To the faculty member who started this thread, have you asked yourself why administration is so messed up? Why nothing gets accomplished? This is bigger than us students. Name one other school where this is an issue? Medical school curricula should be under an academic and educational entity not under the money-hungry and corrupt system that is the UCLA health system.
Current student and I agree with everything in point 1. Point #2 is laughably out of touch with reality. Here are some other schools in the US and their associated "money hungry and corrupt systems"

Stanford University
- Stanford Health Care
University of California, San Francisco - UCSF Medical Center.
University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) - Linked with the University of Pennsylvania Health System.
Columbia University - Associated with New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
Duke University - Connected to Duke University Health System.
Washington University in St. Louis - Affiliated with Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children’s Hospital.
Yale University - Associated with Yale New Haven Hospital.
New York University (Grossman) - Linked with NYU Langone Health.
University of California, Los Angeles (David Geffen School of Medicine) - Affiliated with UCLA Health.
University of Washington - Connected to UW Medicine.
University of California, San Diego - Affiliated with UC San Diego Health.
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - Linked with Michigan Medicine.
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine - Associated with Mayo Clinic Hospitals.
University of Chicago (Pritzker) - Affiliated with UChicago Medicine.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - Connected with UNC Health Care.
Vanderbilt University - Associated with Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Cornell University (Weill) - Affiliated with NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
University of Pittsburgh - Connected to UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center).

All of these systems have C-suite executives who work closely with medical education/medical schools.

Current student and I agree with everything in point 1. Point #2 is laughably out of touch with reality. Here are some other schools in the US and their associated "money hungry and corrupt systems"

Stanford University
- Stanford Health Care
University of California, San Francisco - UCSF Medical Center.
University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) - Linked with the University of Pennsylvania Health System.
Columbia University - Associated with New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
Duke University - Connected to Duke University Health System.
Washington University in St. Louis - Affiliated with Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children’s Hospital.
Yale University - Associated with Yale New Haven Hospital.
New York University (Grossman) - Linked with NYU Langone Health.
University of California, Los Angeles (David Geffen School of Medicine) - Affiliated with UCLA Health.
University of Washington - Connected to UW Medicine.
University of California, San Diego - Affiliated with UC San Diego Health.
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - Linked with Michigan Medicine.
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine - Associated with Mayo Clinic Hospitals.
University of Chicago (Pritzker) - Affiliated with UChicago Medicine.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - Connected with UNC Health Care.
Vanderbilt University - Associated with Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Cornell University (Weill) - Affiliated with NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
University of Pittsburgh - Connected to UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center).

All of these systems have C-suite executives who work closely with medical education/medical schools.
How many of these have a vice chancellor that over steps their boundaries and crosses the medical school dean? At UCSF the dean of the medical school is also the Vice Chancellor. At UCSD the Vice chancellor is separate from the CEO. This all encompassing role at DGSOM and the ambiguity of this position has lead to multiple investigations including by the California State Auditor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Current MS3. There's a lot to unpack here so this is gonna be extremely long, TLDR at the bottom:

The thought was to cut out the waste and focus on the key topics, I can say without a doubt this has been a colossal failure. The residents and faculty I work with have noticed a dramatic decrease in the knowledge of the medical students since this change.

This is mostly accurate – I only take issue with saying its been “a colossal failure” – you would think from this post the UCLA students on clerkships don’t know the difference between major organ systems or something. However, the description of the thought process behind the curriculum change is accurate, as is the fact that they cut too much content, sending students to clerkships with content gaps. How significant those gaps are depends on the student.

UCLA decided to cram the two years of pre-clinical courses into one year. Then the 2nd year students do their clinical rotations, the third year is an “discovery year” where students can do anything they want and then they return as 4th year students for the typical 4th year rotations.

This is accurate, but not entirely unlike what Duke, Vanderbilt, etc. have been doing for years. The method honestly may be sound, but UCLA is implementing the method incorrectly.

I was not part of the committee that decided to make this change but I have a theory as to why the made a change in the curriculum. Before the new curriculum, every year 5-10% of the UCLA medical students struggled to pass step 1. Prior to this change many of these students were advised to take a year off to study exclusively for step 1.

This is not accurate – UCLA’s step 1 pass rate has met or exceeded the national average in the past. In addition, 5% of the class would be around 8-9 people out of 175, which IMO is not significant enough to base your theory on. Furthermore, the curriculum change was made based on Duke, Vanderbilt, and most prominently, Harvard’s model, which I honestly think was a complete mistake (why copy Harvard? Because it’s Harvard?) – regardless though, the curriculum change was absolutely not due to previously-existing issues with step.

I have mentored a bunch of UCLA students who did this and it hurt their residency applications because programs wanted to know why they took this year off. I suspect that one of the reasons UCLA created this new curriculum is to provide that year for the students who can’t pass step 1 otherwise.

This is partially true but requires context
  • Of course residency programs will scrutinize you if you took a year off to study for step. This faculty member has mentored “a bunch” of these students under the LEGACY curriculum, which was traditional, and avoids the apparent pitfalls of the new curriculum.
  • If 5-10% of the class failed to take Step 1 on time under a 2-year preclinical curriculum, that is their failure to bear, not UCLA’s.
  • Every school with a 2-year preclinical, other than bulletproof institutions mentioned earlier in the thread, has an issue with students failing to take step 1 on time and needing an extra year. It’s ridiculous to suggest that 8-16 students doing this in a class of 175 represents some colossal failure of the legacy curriculum.
  • It is true that one reason for the curriculum change was to avoid Step 1 failure, but not because there were SO MANY students failing or taking LoAs previously. The change to P/F step 1 immediately led to a massive drop in passing rates across the country. Research found failure rates go down if you wait until after clerkships to take Step 1. This research was one of the reasons for UCLA to make the change.

While this might sound like a good idea the end result is the UCLA students are trying to learn everything in the pre-clinical classes in one year. It’s been awhile since I was in medical school but I remember the two years of pre-clinical courses I took were extremely difficulty and they took endless hours of studying to learn the material.

This is accurate. At other schools on 12-month preclinical systems, the content has been implemented with Step 1 and critical basic science knowledge in mind, acknowledging the reality that we need to pass that exam and understand basic concepts to truly excel in medical school. E.g. Students at other schools with condensed curricula take NBME-style exams. This is not the case at UCLA. From what I can tell, the prevailing mentality is to genuinely not care about Step and just focus on what they deem important, which is very often either not important or an incomplete picture of the science. This is by far the most problematic aspect of the new curriculum.

My sense from talking to the UCLA students is there is so much material to learn in one year that it is overwhelming so many students just don’t even try. When you add in that none of the preclinical courses are graded it is easy to understand why the majority of the UCLA students don’t study because there is no obvious need to open a text book. The end result is many students don’t learn the basics in their preclinical years.

How can you gloss over this?: “so overwhelming so many students just don’t even try”

This is medical school. It is overwhelming at times. This is true everywhere.
The only difference is that UCLA admits students (not the majority, but they are here) who would blatantly and shamelessly admit they don’t bother to try at all. Wouldn't you know it, these are the same students who don’t know anything on clerkships. The preclinical courses are P/F and I wouldn’t have it any other way, but UCLA coddled its students too much with an extremely lax exam policy under which students could get a 45% on an overly-easy exam and never remediate. Those same students went onto wards 2nd year and got annihilated.

The current MS1 class apparently has to retake exams if they fail. I think this change was made by clerkship directors and faculty like OP who were tired of seeing completely incompetent med students on the floor. It stands to reason the current MS1 class will exceed the classes before it in terms of clerkship performance.

I think this explains why we have such a high failure rate on the step 1 exam at UCLA currently. For example I am mentoring several 3rd year students this year and two has failed step 1 and several other MS3s haven’t taken Step 1 yet likely because their practice exam scores are so low. I don’t mentor many students each year, so to have so many 3rd year students who are having these struggles with step 1 is shocking. I have heard from multiple students that about 50 MS3 are planning to take a one year leave of absence to study for and try to pass step 1. This is in addition to the discovery year so they have take 2 years away from clinical rotation to study for step exams. I have never heard of this many students needing to take a leave to study for a fairly easy exam. Another issue is for these 50 students, how in the world are they going to be successful when they return to the MS4 year and try to be successful on sub-internships rotations. The performance on these rotations are extremely important for matching into residencies and with a two year gap from clinical work the students are going to struggle greatly.

There’s a lot of hearsay from students here. You do not have the actual numbers for failure or LoA rates. Also, you are shifting too much responsibility away from the students. IMHO a discovery year and dedicated study period is enough time for almost anyone to learn enough from 3rd party materials to pass step 1. I know students doing dual degrees were uniquely F'd, but idk what happened with the rest. UCLA does not hide the fact that its curriculum demands a great deal of self-directed studying and learning. I honestly think the issue is in admissions; they should really start screening for people who want to learn a lot on their own. Many students here have a particular mindset towards learning/medical education and it's not one that will make you successful in this curriculum.

In most medical school you take Step 1 at the end of your preclinical classes and before you start your clinical rotations since Step 1 tests topics covered in your preclinical classes. Recently the administration of the medical school made a presentation to the faculty and only 49% of 3rd year UCLA students have taken Step 1 as of January 2024. This is a shockingly low number and it suggests that a large percentage of the class is worried about failing the exam. This is even more concerning since it is a pass fail exam, a school that is supposedly a top 10 medical school should have an extremely small number of students who can’t pass this exam which has a high pass rate.

I agree that this is a disaster. I believe it's happening for the following reasons:
  • The points I mentioned about student attitudes and the lack of accountability with the exam failure policy of the last 2 years.
  • The profound lack of basic science knowledge (immune, micro, etc.) that UCLA thinks will somehow diffuse into our brains by seeing it a few times scattered around MS1 year and on wards
    • This stuff is easily attainable from 3rd party resources, although admin is so deep in their own BS that they detest 3rd party resources
  • The severe lack of spaced repetition, which you and others mentioned. Admin hilariously throws around the term "spaced repetition" seemingly having no understanding of what it is. Mentioning E. coli in the context of diarrhea and then again 5 months later for UTIs is not spaced repetition, nor is it a substitute for a proper microbiology education.
    • This can be fixed with Anki and other self-studying methods
  • The failure of people in my class to defend themselves against the gaps in the new curriculum because they placed too much trust in the school to educate them appropriately
    • This is the most tragic and detestable cause of Step issues, and, in a sane world, the school would reimburse students who now need to take an LoA because they bought the garbage UCLA was selling.
Note that, like all of these issues, I think this will improve over time as students know from day 1 they need to use 3rd party materials to "fix" the curriculum for themselves although it's insane that this is necessary.

Even more concerning is their performance on the shelf exams during the clinical year. After every rotation (ie peds, surgery, IM) the students take a national exam that tests the material from the rotation. To pass this exam you need to score in 5% of all students in the county who take this exam. It is a fairly low bar that one would think everyone could pass. I was shocked to see the data recently from the medical school, close to 50% of UCLA students have failed one of these exams. In addition 24% of the current 3rd year UCLA students have failed one of the shelf exams more than three times. For these 24% of students this will show up in their deans letter that is part of their application for residency programs. This one issue will prevent these students from matching into a specialty that is even remotely competitive or even in a less competitive specialty at a good program.

He is referring only to data from the very first class to go through this curriculum. But I agree these numbers are abysmal
. Again: these students were failing very easy in-house exams, never remediating, and then taking NBME internal medicine shelf exams out of nowhere. They should have never been in the hospital.

This information is getting out to the residency programs and one of the local residency programs who used to take the less competitive UCLA students has stopped interviewing our students because they have had negative experiences with the poor performance of some of the UCLA graduates recently who matched into their program. This is becoming a problem for even our top students because since UCLA is a pass fail school the top students can’t distinguish themselves from the many students who are struggling, so residency programs just have to assume every UCLA student is struggling.

The first class to go through the new curriculum hasn't even applied to residency yet.

Many residency programs use Step 2 scores as a screening tool to decide who to interview. This presents a problem for many of the UCLA students that I mentor because the questions for step 2 are the exact same questions as used in the shelf exams that many of our students are failing. So for the 50% of UCLA students who failed one of the shelf exams, it is going to be close to impossible to get a high score on Step 2. There are other areas that I think the school is failing the students.

I agree that UCLA needs to wake up and acknowledge the reality that their students will eventually need to take step 1 and 2. It really seems like these crucial exams were an afterthought for administrators, and they continue to brush off their importance, their content, and timing considerations. I'm very curious to see how many people in my class will be forced to LoA at the end of the year. Although I seriously doubt it will be anything close to 50%.

It has gotten to the point that many faculty members have told me that they have stopped speaking with the students because their knowledge is so poor. Recently a surgeon was telling me a story, he said he will never talk to a UCLA student again and will just have them stand in the corner and watch because it is not worth the trouble. This surgeon used to teach multiple courses in the medical school and he used to tell me how he loved teaching students. The fact that he has stopped teaching course entirely and now will not even talk to the students in the OR shows how bad things have become.

If faculty members have “stopped speaking with the students” because of a bad curriculum change, they are terrible faculty members and should be ashamed. If a student has abysmal content knowledge, do your job and help them. Please pass this message on to your colleagues who apparently care so deeply about the school.

Be careful looking at the UCLA match list. I believe it is intentionally deceptive. For example about 7 UCLA students didn’t match into residency programs this year and their names don’t show up on the match list so no one knows they didn’t match.

This is absurd. Please find me a medical school which lists the names of students in their match list who didn’t match anywhere.

Even more concerning is I suspect a fair number of other students didn’t match into their chosen specialty.

This is irresponsible to speculate on.

This is almost entirely true. For the past 3 years, administration has often refused to listen to reason. Students and faculty have repeatedly raised the same issues and nothing significant has changed. They make minor adjustments each year but when people sound the alarm about the entire system needing to be fixed, it’s always dismissed.

I don’t think it’s out of malice or "corruption from the health system" as someone else suggested. I think it might be a sunk cost fallacy, or arrogance, or incompetence, or data misinterpretation, or willful ignorance, or some combination of all those things. As @Med Ed noted, they refuse to admit defeat. One hope moving forward is that the vice dean of education who was a major architect of this mess left his position in December. Hopefully positive changes and decisions are coming soon based on common sense, rather than random research papers and sociological positioning.

What I don’t think is accurate here is the implication that UCLA med students “can’t match” whatever this guy’s specialty is. Our optho match is great, for example, despite being hypercompetitive. That said, my class’s match will finally shed light on how much has potentially gone wrong. Or it will be fine and the world will keep spinning.

TLDR for applicants: you must be a self-directed, disciplined student to do well here. There is a lot of truth in what this person is saying, but it is almost entirely based on the first cohort of students to go through a new curriculum. Things have been improving, and they will continue to improve. UCLA's curriculum grants a lot of freedom (too much for some), but you need to use that freedom to use 3rd party materials to fill in the gaps they're leaving in many content areas. Notice in this thread that everyone saying they made it through the curriculum relatively unscathed attribute their success to 3rd party (as do I). But also keep in mind this is the case at tons of schools. I'd also reiterate the point another student made: if you think you need a good deal of forced structure in your preclinical education, this is not the school for you.

Hold yourself to a high standard here, as the school will not. Work extremely hard, and your 3rd and 4th years of school will be great. You will work with amazing physicians at great clinical sites and have more research opportunities than you can imagine. But if you come here and sit on your hands you're going to have some serious issues.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 23 users
Fascinating read for sure. My question to you is: how does UCLA's one year pre-clinical differ from other schools that have been quite successful? Schools like Vanderbilt, Michigan, Duke have been quite successful and I don't think they are facing the same issues you mentioned. Not to mention majority of schools now do 1.5 years which is not as condensed but still has been hugely successful.
The successful schools made better decisions regarding what to keep in the curriculum, what to throw away, what to add, and how to implement/execute their education plan. They also may have made better decisions in the admissions office.

How many of these have a vice chancellor that over steps their boundaries and crosses the medical school dean? At UCSF the dean of the medical school is also the Vice Chancellor. At UCSD the Vice chancellor is separate from the CEO. This all encompassing role at DGSOM and the ambiguity of this position has lead to multiple investigations including by the California State Auditor.
I really don't think it's that deep. The vice chancellor is a former dean of dgsom. Also, the SRHE curriculum openly criticizes UCLA health as being a racist, classist, profit driven operation. Do you actually think he's controlling the curriculum?

You also said "Our dean of education was also bullied out of this corrupt system" - if you're talking about the former vice dean of education who left this year, he designed and implemented this curriculum under the same CEO/vice chancellor we have now. I have heard the same rumors that you have, but if you think critically about them for a few minutes you'll probably realize they don't make a lot of sense. Do you think SRHE and zero-risk exams were John's idea?

Also would love to know what came of those investigations.

Condensing the pre clinical 2 years into 18 months sounded bad enough. Trying to learn the 2 years of material I did in 1 year is impossible, truly impossible. When you combine that with changing step 1 and many pre clinical programs to pass/fail, that’s a recipe for disaster. Making things pass/fail requires the students to push themselves more and independently insure that they are actually learning the material to an adequate level. The fail bar is pretty low. When step 1 is also pass/fail it doesn’t take a fortune teller to predict that overall knowledge level will likely decline. Gunners and high achievers naturally doing what they do best in classes and step 1 competition for competitive residencies was a powerful tool to insure a solid knowledge base and foundation for the clinical years.
It sounds like UCLA embraced this plan and doubled down, giving out their participation trophies, and are now reaping the rewards of that decision. I only went to a top 20 school, but if 10% of the students were not passing step 1 or failing classes there would have been a massive earthquake! The average on one exam in one class was significantly lower than expected and we had an emergency meeting. They determined that the exam was poorly written and the professor was also pretty new and weak. If UCLA is ignoring these red flags they’re doing a great disservice to the students. It won’t take long before the residency program directors put 2 and 2 together and decide that the UCLA students should generally be lower on their rank lists, down into the won’t match here part. I still see medical school students rotating through my department from time to time and they are very smart and knowledgeable, so this isn’t a universal problem. They did it to themselves.
Medical school is hard, that’s ok. It needs to be. If you want an easier path there are other careers available. I didn’t choose this path because it was easy, I chose it because it was hard, and so am I.

Condensing the pre clinical 2 years into 18 months sounded bad enough. Trying to learn the 2 years of material I did in 1 year is impossible, truly impossible.
This is the rub. 2 years to 18 months was doable by shortening the summer between M1 and M2 and eliminating redundancies between the normal (M1) and abnormal (M2) courses. It gains some clinical time, but reducing each organ system to "one and done" reduces the margin for error and makes remediation even more unpleasant.

The only way to condense it further (as you allude to) is to simply reduce the amount of material covered. And that's where it gets tricky, because (as others have stated above) it forces the admissions committee to try and select for a very specific type of learner. And that's a confining choice.

This is the rub. 2 years to 18 months was doable by shortening the summer between M1 and M2 and eliminating redundancies between the normal (M1) and abnormal (M2) courses. It gains some clinical time, but reducing each organ system to "one and done" reduces the margin for error and makes remediation even more unpleasant.

The only way to condense it further (as you allude to) is to simply reduce the amount of material covered. And that's where it gets tricky, because (as others have stated above) it forces the admissions committee to try and select for a very specific type of learner. And that's a confining choice.
One of the more important questions applicants should ask before applying is about the curriculum. Our job in the admissions office is to highlight the advantages, and the shorter pre-clinical period is among the messages that resonate among applicants. What we don't do (because most of us are in the admissions office processing applications, not in the curriculum office looking at student progress metrics) is highlight the disadvantages. That's what professional forums like ours are very useful. :)

The general admissions parlance seeks candidates with a "commitment to lifelong learning." We don't tell you how that competency is essential in our curriculum, especially if self-directed study is such an important feature beyond the experience of most undergrads. (SMP's on the other hand give you a good taste of this.) I get the movement to more "active learning" principles in education. Less lecture, more discussion/action. You reflect on observations to derive insights or areas where you have knowledge gaps and fills them. It works great IF you already have a solid foundation. How do you show that foundation at the admissions process? GPA and MCAT. So for us in admissions, it's a reason to push for higher GPA's and MCAT's as expected standards among our students even if we consider applicants holistically and need to diversify the health workforce. That's why there is such a strong emphasis despite people arguing to lower their value in selecting future students.

I read some additional responses and it’s absurd to expect students to determine what they are not being taught that’s actually important and then expect that they will also seek out 3rd party resources to learn that material when they’re not being tested on it. They don’t know what they don’t know.
It’s the job of the medical school to establish a proper curriculum and actually teach it, not cut corners to build in study breaks and appease the ignorant that want clinical activity immediately. What are you paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for if not that? You can’t run until you walk and unless you’ve done some track time in a cart or even a Miata, if you’re put into a formula 1 car and turned loose you’ll be lucky to survive the 2nd corner. You can’t build a foundation on the hope that they figure out what corners were cut and take the time to remediate on their own. It’s ridiculous to even write this. If you’re not going to teach the curriculum wtf are you doing there?

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Condensing the pre clinical 2 years into 18 months sounded bad enough. Trying to learn the 2 years of material I did in 1 year is impossible, truly impossible. When you combine that with changing step 1 and many pre clinical programs to pass/fail, that’s a recipe for disaster. Making things pass/fail requires the students to push themselves more and independently insure that they are actually learning the material to an adequate level. The fail bar is pretty low. When step 1 is also pass/fail it doesn’t take a fortune teller to predict that overall knowledge level will likely decline. Gunners and high achievers naturally doing what they do best in classes and step 1 competition for competitive residencies was a powerful tool to insure a solid knowledge base and foundation for the clinical years.
It sounds like UCLA embraced this plan and doubled down, giving out their participation trophies, and are now reaping the rewards of that decision. I only went to a top 20 school, but if 10% of the students were not passing step 1 or failing classes there would have been a massive earthquake! The average on one exam in one class was significantly lower than expected and we had an emergency meeting. They determined that the exam was poorly written and the professor was also pretty new and weak. If UCLA is ignoring these red flags they’re doing a great disservice to the students. It won’t take long before the residency program directors put 2 and 2 together and decide that the UCLA students should generally be lower on their rank lists, down into the won’t match here part. I still see medical school students rotating through my department from time to time and they are very smart and knowledgeable, so this isn’t a universal problem. They did it to themselves.
Medical school is hard, that’s ok. It needs to be. If you want an easier path there are other careers available. I didn’t choose this path because it was easy, I chose it because it was hard, and so am I.

I agree.

The only reason I can imagine condensing preclinicals to 1.5 years is you give up your summer and they condense further things by “only” another 1-3 months. I could see that as being survivable, though not as “leisurely” (!) as a 2-year preclinical program.

Condensing down to a single year? That seems crazy. The 2-year curriculum was hard enough for many top students. You’d have to be a superstar to learn what is needed in a single year. You’d probably have to study like crazy every single weekend, and never have a night off. Sounds like a recipe for burnout.

There certainly is some wasted time/topics in M1-M2, but not an entire year’s worth. Can we really argue we’ve been doing medical education completely wrong for almost a century? Certainly the converse applies—just because the standard has been two years of preclinical education doesn’t mean we have to keep doing it that way, but shortening things by 50% seems excessive.

The 2 year curriculum was enough of a fire hose. What is 1 year? A burst water main? The Mississippi?

I actually enjoyed the preclinical years. I’d love to see some lectures get deleted (and more lectures by physicians), and maybe revamp the required M3 rotations (do we really need OB? I can see requiring the gyn portion, but do we really need 6-8 weeks OB-gyn? It be great to see M3 “tracks” based on your specialty choice. I mean, let’s be honest—while hospitalists will need to care for pregnant patients from time to time, they’re consuming the on-call OB before the patient is admitted (assuming the EM doc didn’t do so already).

I read some additional responses and it’s absurd to expect students to determine what they are not being taught that’s actually important and then expect that they will also seek out 3rd party resources to learn that material when they’re not being tested on it. They don’t know what they don’t know.
It’s the job of the medical school to establish a proper curriculum and actually teach it, not cut corners to build in study breaks and appease the ignorant that want clinical activity immediately. What are you paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for if not that? You can’t run until you walk and unless you’ve done some track time in a cart or even a Miata, if you’re put into a formula 1 car and turned loose you’ll be lucky to survive the 2nd corner. You can’t build a foundation on the hope that they figure out what corners were cut and take the time to remediate on their own. It’s ridiculous to even write this. If you’re not going to teach the curriculum wtf are you doing there?
The curriculum change wasn’t to appease students who want clinical activity, it was to get that third year “off” to build in dual degree programs and other residency app stuff without necessitating an LoA, which are becoming increasingly common post-PF step 1. However everything else you said is spot on, and rather than achieving their goal, UCLA has completely ruined the preclinical experience/education and, by extension, the clinical as well.

Your mention of the financial aspect is appreciated as many of us of have the same sentiment: we have no idea what we actually paid for when we had to skip class to watch boards and beyond. And no admin, people don’t skip class because they’re misguided or they don’t trust the process enough. They skip because it’s a complete waste of time that they don’t have.

• Care
I want to take this at face value but I have wondered if this new member with gripes about the curriculum at UCLA isn't manufacturing enough distrust of the school to drive anyone with a choice to another option thus paving the way for more waitlist movement than might otherwise be expected. Am I being overly suspicious/cynical here?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I want to take this at face value but I have wondered if this new member with gripes about the curriculum at UCLA isn't manufacturing enough distrust of the school to drive anyone with a choice to another option thus paving the way for more waitlist movement than might otherwise be expected. Am I being overly suspicious/cynical here?
This is also what I'm wondering. Nonetheless, it has garnered more attention/discussion from other accounts (though un-verified) expressing their perspectives which has actually been very helpful as a waitlisted candidate at DGSOM myself

If faculty members have “stopped speaking with the students” because of a bad curriculum change, they are terrible faculty members and should be ashamed. If a student has abysmal content knowledge, do your job and help them. Please pass this message on to your colleagues who apparently care so deeply about the school.

100% this.

MS4 here who was in the last cohort of the "legacy curriculum" (although for our class, the preclinical curriculum was shortened to ~18 months to accommodate the transition). I passed all of the shelf exams by a comfortable margin, did well on Step 2, and matched extremely well, along with most others in my class. I'm sure the classes below us will be just fine as well.

As with literally every institution, UCLA has its problems, but I wouldn't place the blame entirely on the preclinical curriculum. During my clinical rotations, I found several faculty at Ronald Reagan had difficult personalities. Despite me being a very good student during the preclinical phase, these individuals were quite critical of my knowledge base and clinical skills, and did very little teaching. On the other hand, attendings at our affiliate teaching sites (e.g. Harbor-UCLA, Olive View, Kaiser, the VA) were generally much kinder and more willing to teach.

For those who are considering different options for medical school, too much emphasis is placed on the preclinical curriculum. Students at every school are going to use third party resources to study for boards. What differs the most is the culture of the clinical training and prospective students should talk to upperclassmen/alumni to get a better idea of what learning environment is best for them.

Last edited:
This entire thread has been fascinating to read, whether or not full credence is given to OP's description. So many great perspectives on the ups, downs, perks, and pitfalls of the various curriculum changes. I detect a dominant, recurring theme that med schools may vary wildly in the breadth and intensity of individually-directed study that will be required of a student. This discussion poses some great questions to ask a prospective school before deciding to apply or making a decision between/among acceptances.

While this might sound like a good idea the end result is the UCLA students are trying to learn everything in the pre-clinical classes in one year. It’s been awhile since I was in medical school but I remember the two years of pre-clinical courses I took were extremely difficulty and they took endless hours of studying to learn the material.

This is accurate. At other schools on 12-month preclinical systems, the content has been implemented with Step 1 and critical basic science knowledge in mind, acknowledging the reality that we need to pass that exam and understand basic concepts to truly excel in medical school. E.g. Students at other schools with condensed curricula take NBME-style exams. This is not the case at UCLA. From what I can tell, the prevailing mentality is to genuinely not care about Step and just focus on what they deem important, which is very often either not important or an incomplete picture of the science. This is by far the most problematic aspect of the new curriculum.
UCLA med student. Honestly, this is the most important point of UCLA's issues imo. From talking to people at other 1 year unis, I completely disagree that 1 year is not enough to learn the pre-clinical curriculum. The issue isn't that 1 year, it's that if you cut it down to one year, you can't simultaneously have all the other BS most med schools fit into 2 years.

UCLA curriculum does not prepare you for step. We spend so much time on material irrelevant to step and other curricular activities that have little to do with boards. Our clinical required classes in year 1 at 7 hours total every week. My friends at other unis don't have more than 3 hours. Our exams have very little similarity to step. And, they're very easy. I passed an exam that included all of our metabolism... without even opening the metabolism chapter until 6 am the morning of the exam (8 am).

On the flip side, our curriculum has a vast amount of free time, and very little required work. The required work may not be useful, but it is easy to complete. It is very easy to third party everything and pass, which makes it much easier to study for step and just ignore the parts of UCLA curriculum you don't like. At many other unis, esoteric knowledge is tested and the tests are harder, which prevents this approach. For a self-motivated student, UCLA is hard to beat.

As for the reputation hit, I think it's largely overrated. As someone from the midwest, basically nothing UCLA does curricular wise is going to lower its status there, in the east coast, or the south. I think the largest issues occur for matching near ucla, where people are more aware of these issues. Even then, I doubt it is significant.

If any incoming students want to talk about specifics feel free to send a message. Obv don't want to get too in depth here.

Reactions: 8 users
Two points that bother me the most are :

1." This information is getting out to the residency programs and one of the local residency programs who used to take the less competitive UCLA students has stopped interviewing our students because they have had negative experiences with the poor performance of some of the UCLA graduates recently who matched into their program. This is becoming a problem for even our top students because since UCLA is a pass fail school the top students can’t distinguish themselves from the many students who are struggling, so residency programs just have to assume every UCLA student is struggling."

2. "It hurts me greatly when I meet with a UCLA student and I have to tell them they will never match into my specialty. When they came to UCLA they were told it was a top school and it would open doors for them, usually by the time they figure it out that it is not true, it is too late."

How true are these statements? The person made it sound like I will never match into any competitive specialties if I choose to attend UCLA

Posts like this are why many applicants wait until 4:59pm on April 30th to drop their acceptances.

1." This information is getting out to the residency programs and one of the local residency programs who used to take the less competitive UCLA students has stopped interviewing our students because they have had negative experiences with the poor performance of some of the UCLA graduates recently who matched into their program. This is becoming a problem for even our top students because since UCLA is a pass fail school the top students can’t distinguish themselves from the many students who are struggling, so residency programs just have to assume every UCLA student is struggling."

2. "It hurts me greatly when I meet with a UCLA student and I have to tell them they will never match into my specialty. When they came to UCLA they were told it was a top school and it would open doors for them, usually by the time they figure it out that it is not true, it is too late."

How true are these statements? The person made it sound like I will never match into any competitive specialties if I choose to attend UCLA
I think this is a ridiculous statement lol. Or at least, ridiculously exaggerated. Let's say word gets out that UCLA students are idiots or something (not true, but let's just say that becomes some really popular rumor). A UCLA student applies for your residency with a 270 step 2 and 15 pubs. I can't imagine any residency going "oh, they're ucla? GTFO".
Even if UCLA's reputation falls, it's never going to fall below that of a T50 med school. I think the real concern here is that being at UCLA might not give the "T20 advantage", not that our students will be known as trash that can barely match IM or something lolol.
As for that concern, I'm pretty confident in saying that if it is even true, it will never spread outside of the west coast. UCLA is a very well known name for a very long time. In the midwest and east coast, that won't change anytime soon.
For obvious reasons, known issues will be heard the most by people near your school. Unfortunately, I think the majority of ucla students do also want to match west coast. So this may be an issue- but even if it is, I doubt it will be a big one. At the end of the day, you are judged first by your own application.

And frankly, there's somewhat of a selfish counterpoint here. Every school, and esp T20s basically have reserved spots across specialties and schools for students from various schools. It's a little easier to stand out at UCLA imo, given far more students here seem to want to enter less competitive specialties than other T20s.

This is not true. Every school will continue to have students matching into competitive specialties. However, with P/F, it becomes harder to differentiate yourself from the pack (good if you are below average, not so good if you are in the top), and there is increased pressure to do well on Step II. Just my thoughts.

This is not true. Every school will continue to have students matching into competitive specialties. However, with P/F, it becomes harder to differentiate yourself from the pack (good if you are below average, not so good if you are in the top), and there is increased pressure to do well on Step II. Just my thoughts.
I honestly don't think p/f will be much of a problem at all (other than increased emphasis on step 2) for matching, simply because most T20s give out like 90% H/HP anyway. My friend at Columbia Honored a rotation she got a 55% shelf in (2nd percentile), and shelf is half their final grade.

Last edited:

Are you really considering a school if a random SDN poster convinces you to drop your acceptance?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hmm
Current MS2 at DGSOM - I’m thriving and living my best life - and I'm very well situated in my pursuit of a competitive surgical speciality. Here’s my $0.02. I would choose UCLA again in a heartbeat. The flexibility to pursue whatever you want is truly remarkable, the corollary is you have to be self-initiated w/ high standards for yourself in order to really thrive here. People are struggling because they saw low standards and trusted them to be a reliable measure of preparedness... In my opinion, the low standards allow you to go all-in on learning everything you need for step and the wards without being bogged down by esoterica that is common from in-house lecturers. If you ditch the curriculum, follow sound advice for resources and exam timing, you will have so much free time to accomplish everything you need to match competitively while still maintaining a great quality of life. I'll summarize why I love UCLA and what I think is the key to succeeding here.

But first, all the tea spilt here is true, though I can’t speak to the numbers. That said, I think these issues are being worked out for the current MS1 class, certainly for the incoming class. The combo of low pass threshold, no remediation for failure, bad advice about delaying step, and misguided reassurance led to a situation where people moved right along thinking they were doing ok only to have a rude awakening when held to a national standard.

And frankly, med students across the US ditch in-house curriculum in favor of 3rd parities and find wild success. And every school complains about it. This tension is a tale as old as time. I know a surgeon who said that in 90s the highest performers in his class would skip lecture to study in the library. Bad curriculum doesn't matter if you don't follow it! If you're shooting for a competitive match (specialty or program), you're probably going to end up ditching the curriculum no matter where you go so make your decision based on all the other factors... if you're the type to rely on in-house curriculum and require lots of hand-holding, you might be better served elsewhere. Though mark my words, you're going to hate the curriculum and bitch about your school no matter where you attend - it's almost like med school is really challenging no matter where you attend and students have a lot of discomfort they're looking to displace somewhere.

Anyway, here’s the rub: with 1yr preclinical you don’t have time to delay learning this lesson, and when faculty push hard for students to “trust the process” students who follow as instructed often don’t learn truly effective study strategies until it’s too late to catch up. If you’re not aiming for a competitive specialty or program, the prescribed process will suit you fine and you’ll have the time of your life in LA. If you have any inkling you want to pursue a competitive speciality or location, you would be well-served by reverse engineering what it will take to get there and start on that path from day one!

WHY I ABSOLUTELY LOVE UCLA:
  • True pass/fail for both preclinical and clerkships including shelf exams is the bees knees! This allows you to shunt your efforts towards things that will ultimately matter… if you take it as a pass to coast with minimal effort, you’re going to have a fun 1st year then struggle on the shelves, USMLE, clerkships, and SubI’s.
  • Attendance policy is super generous and the truly required work is very minimal which really allows you to accomplish whatever you want… but also means that following the minimum required standards will screw you over in the long run.
  • Access to world class faculty, researchers, and mentors.
  • Truly remarkable flexibility and support to do whatever you can dream up academically.
  • Global health and street medicine programs are phenomenal.
  • Cadaver program is world-class! Anatomy and histo/path are, in my opinion, the only in-house material living up to the promise of being high-yield for both boards and wards! For aspiring surgeons, there are abundant opportunities to get involved with surgical faculty in the cadaver lab and CASIT simulation center.
  • Heavy ultrasound exposure from the start with abundant opportunity to deep-dive if you want i.e., you can check out a butterfly.
  • Wellness support resources are incredible. The behavioral wellness center provides totally free therapy and psychiatry - it doesn’t even go through insurance! Academic support and disability support office are really great
  • LA is wonderful and sunny all year long.
THE MAGIC SUACE: The key to success at UCLA is nothing special. Follow common praxis for success as described on SDN and reddit... which includes taking step 1 before starting clerkships. For incoming MS1s - take notes, trust what thousands of students have done before you, but start when you get here.

IN-HOUSE EXAM PASSING THRESHOLDS:- hold yourself to a higher standard. The low degree of required work and low passing threshold frees you up to do what you need
  • Aim much higher than the minimum for passing. In-house exams are, IMHO, too easy for first year. You should have a better grasp on the material than what is minimally required to pass.
STUDY STRATEGY: On day-1, start with Qbank + third parties + Anki. Aim to complete all qbank questions in a theme before in-house exams.
  • Bootcamp or B&B + Pathoma
  • Use Anki from the jump. I found AnKing high yield to be adequate.
  • Complete a step 1 qbank (amboss or uworld) during pre-clinical
  • In-house for anatomy and histo/path - our cadaver program led by Dr. Stark is world-class! She really prepares us thoroughly for both step 1/2 and clerkships!
  • Getting step 1 out of the way sets you up to excel in both clerkships and on shelves… but most importantly, it allows you to go all-in on step 2ck prep during clerkship year… if you’re aiming for the 5th percentile score on shelves, you’re doing it wrong! Treat every shelf like a little dress rehearsal for step 2, then roll into your dedicated with a solid base and qbank under your belt which will set you up to kill it on step 2 within the allotted time. During dedicated, plan on doing all NBMEs for step 2, CMS forms, and imho do the other step 2 qbank.
USMLE TIMING:
  • Take step 1 before clerkships
  • This will require employing the above study techniques from day 1, but numerous people in both the class of 2025 and 2026 have done this successfully. Those of us who took step 1, anecdotally, have had a much much easier time with shelf exams and in terms of clinical performance on clerkships… and while it was a lot of work, our quality of life and stress level during clerkships was way lower than many classmates who had to navigate struggling with shelfs, failing, having to take time out of clerkships etc.
  • Caveat: follow common wisdom as it pertains to step 1… i.e., if you’re not scoring in the 70+ range on practice NBMEs, delay the exam! Worst case, you’ve at least reviewed everything before starting clerkships which will only serve you well.

EDIT: lots of typos, sorry... I wrote this on my walk home on my iPhone so it's a bit disjointed.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
Status
Not open for further replies.