UCLA vs Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poinsettiacoherent

Reaction score
Okay, I need a bit of pre-med advice on which school. I'm also hopeful that making this will help me see where I actually want to do. Thank you in advance!

Caveat: Finances - both will cost me 105k a year. So this is a moot point. Rip me.

Case Western:
Pros:
1. The curriculum is so, so solid - I have zero doubts that I will be a well-rounded and thorough doctor leaving this program.
2. The admissions staff and faculty have been amazing. Incredibly responsive, kind, and humorous even. I feel like I would get incredible support here.
3. Cool pathways program that doesn't limit students during the application process.

Cons:
1. I'm queer and unsure how Cleveland will be. I don't feel like I would ever be harmed or anything like that, but I worry it's not a robust community for someone looking for a partner or into the queer social scene.

UCLA:
Pros:
1. Location: Incredible everything. Food, outings, stuff to see and do, music, and thriving LGBTQ community.
2. Great hospitals for rotations, and patient population diversity. Learning Spanish and new languages is important to me.

Cons:
1. This HEALS curriculum: There was that thread about UCLA in crisis - I can understand if this was exaggerated, but what scared me was that I had already speculated some of these things beforehand. I'm not comfortable with essentially removing my 3rd year of medical school, and condensing all my coursework into a year, all my clerkships into a year, having a "flex" year, then applying to residency. Would really love people's thoughts on this one.

There's additional pros/cons for each, but some of them felt minor compared to these, so I've taken those out. Also - I can't believe I get to choose between two incredible schools. I've spent these last few days happy crying enough that I need to drink electrolytes.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on these two offers. One factor you didn't mention, but could be key in deciding which school is the best option, is how accessible your support network will be. This is especially important if a condensed curriculum like UCLA's may place extra stressors on you. You may find that having a lot of food, outings, stuff to see is less important for your emotional health than knowing you have family or other support closer by (or reachable in any event).

You mentioned cost being about equal, but I have to think Cleveland is going to set you back less in cost of living. Rent alone could be less than half that of L.A. (especially on the west side of L.A. where the more vibrant LGBTQ scene is). But you are right, L.A. can be a whole lot of fun. I grew up there, going to the beach every day in the summer and never freezing in the winter.

You won't have any problem matching into residency with either of these schools. If you're ultimate destination is in the West, UCLA (by virtue of proximity and a slightly higher "prestige" factor to programs in the West) may give you a few more options of where you'll match, but Case Western has a very, very strong match list year after year.

All food for thought. Best of luck in your discernment and journey!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about the Republican supermajority state legislature, but Cleveland should be fine when it comes to LGBTQ resources.

Reactions: 1 users
and never freezing in the winter.
60 degrees F is freezing to me (as an LA native) 🥶

But I agree, I also think you should consider where your support system (e.g., friends, family, SO) will be! Both schools are excellent choices, and I don't think you can go wrong either way. Congratulations!!

Disclaimer: WL at UCLA!